What's new
What's new

OT- Where to get crappy AAA one battery LED flashlights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, K-Mart probably has them...but here's the rub....I can't find any like they used to sell...with the twist on/off. Now they are all push button on/off...which I hate, as the button often gets pushed 'on' while it's in my pocket and I don't know it's on.

I used to keep a Fluke LVD1 in my pocket, which is the right size and has the cool option of checking for AC power....but the damn 'on' button would get pushed on in my pocket too much. (plus it has really crappy plastic battery case lid where the snap close things would break eventually and make it worthless)

So, does anyone still sell an El Cheapo one AAA cell, thin aluminum case, twist on/off LED flashlight anymore ?

Search for a maglite on ebay. With the LED craze, halogen fell into disrespect. I had one on keychain with a twist to write ballpen. Can´t remember how often this combo saved my beautyful ass when I pulled notes and measurements or found hidden bolts under tables and in dark corners. ;)

Not too serious,
Johann

i got one from Sears in the hardware dept- it`s on a keychain- i think i remember seeing them at Home Depot too but i can`t be sure those were AAA.

Search for a maglite on ebay. With the LED craze, halogen fell into disrespect. I had one on keychain with a twist to write ballpen. Can´t remember how often this combo saved my beautyful ass when I pulled notes and measurements or found hidden bolts under tables and in dark corners. ;)
Maglites are too nice....i.e. case is made heavier and therefore it's too large and heavy in the pocket and the mouth (I do alot of holding a flashlight in my mouth working on electronics with both hands free...and no I'm not going to use one of those stupid headband things..mostly because it won't fit in my pocket and would take more than 1 second to get it in positon)

So, in other words, I need the smallest, lightest AAA cell LED flashlight on the planet that has twist on/off. Had two of them that were perfect and now lost them both.

Ace Hardware?

The local Ace Hardware here generally has a 1xAAA micro-maglite knockoff keychain flashlight display next to the key cutting machine. All kinds of stuff actually, so you can browse and buy things you don't need as they make your new key.

Or at least they used to, haven't bothered to look recently.

I don't buy cheap ones, there's a family of maglites (half a dozen in each of AAA and AA and a few C and D) I give them two wraps of black tape and hold them at the corner of my mouth rather than my front teeth.

Dare I say... HF usually has dirt cheap plastic 'loseable' lights, my kids usually get one whenever we go and a replacement the next time.

For longer projects, I picked up one of the head band lights from depot, Husky I think, came in a pack with a AA and C or D sized flashlight. Red and black with a lens that twists to go from narrow to wide.

LED Lenser make my favorites. I have a 4AAA battery one that is brighter than my friend's Pelicans and Streamlights, lasts 4 times as long as the CR123A. Plan to buy some other sizes and their head band light in the spring when cash flow unclogs.

Interesting. The 10 lumen one looked good until I saw the photo with size comparison between the battery and the flashlight. The ones I lost, the case was so thin the flashlight body was only a tiny bit larger than the battery.

Wish there was a comparable pix for the 70 lumen one... it seems like it might be smaller, but maybe not. The ability to crank up the lumens when needed is appealing.

I don't buy cheap ones, there's a family of maglites (half a dozen in each of AAA and AA and a few C and D) I give them two wraps of black tape and hold them at the corner of my mouth rather than my front teeth.
Tape wouldn't last me two days...I also tend to get these things oily and greasy...but try to keep the oil off the end that goes in my mouth ! But that's another reason I like the cheap ones vs the "textured" surface ones that Maglight makes...the oil wipes off the smooth aluminum of the cheap ones alot easier than the textured surface types.

Not an AA battery light but you might like the Streamlight Stylus® . Note that the diameter is just 3/8" . For size it is pretty much the same as having a pen in your pocket. There is a push button on the end for momentary on but for continous on you need to twist the end
Besides the problematic aspects of using AAAA batteries, it's simply way too long to fit in front pants pocket...I'd end up breaking it in half if I was wearing tight bluejeans. That one is only good for a shirt pocket...which is something I often don't have. I should have specified front pants pocket in the beginning, but in reality even if every day I wore a shirt with a pocket I still would prefer one in the front pants pocket...reason being even a pen you can feel the weight in a shirt pocket and they sometimes fall out when you lean over, but in pants pocket you feel no weight and they never fall out.

I have been using one of those baseball caps with the lights in the visor. These put the light beam right where I want it. Have you tried one of these?
Jim

I have been using one of those baseball caps with the lights in the visor. These put the light beam right where I want it. Have you tried one of these?
Jim
No and not going to. Reason= I like to have a flashlight with me every waking moment and I only wear baseball caps when driving a ragtop car or a boat ! Also, once you get the hang of it, you can alter the beam direction via moving your teeth probably better than you can moving a cap or your head. (head angle vs ideal line of sight for eyeballs anyway)

Tape wouldn't last me two days...I also tend to get these things oily and greasy...but try to keep the oil off the end that goes in my mouth ! But that's another reason I like the cheap ones vs the "textured" surface ones that Maglight makes...the oil wipes off the smooth aluminum of the cheap ones alot easier than the textured surface types.

Ok, how about

http://www.amazon.com/9-Volt-LED-Fl...D6JM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322686072&sr=8-1

If you add a rechargeable 9v (light as anything) you have a smooth finish, brighter light that fits nicely in your watch pocket

Interesting. The 10 lumen one looked good until I saw the photo with size comparison between the battery and the flashlight. The ones I lost, the case was so thin the flashlight body was only a tiny bit larger than the battery.

Wish there was a comparable pix for the 70 lumen one... it seems like it might be smaller, but maybe not. The ability to crank up the lumens when needed is appealing.

I bought one of the 70 lumen ones for the better half's keychain and its pretty stinking small (to me at least). I'll see if I can get a comparison picture of it tonight.

Ok, how about

Amazon.com: 9 Volt LED Flashlight by Kikkerland: Home Improvement

If you add a rechargeable 9v (light as anything) you have a smooth finish, brighter light that fits nicely in your watch pocket
That's a neat idea... 9 volt batteries are usually a ripoff in price compared to AAA's but if it last alot longer, might be worth it. The other potential catch is it's not twist on/off and has that pesky "switch".....what a pisser that would be to accidentially turn it on in your pocket and drain out an expensive 9 volt battery ! Might be tricky to hold in mouth also...certainly wouldn't be as "angle versatile" when in the mouth as a round body.

Had a friend chip his front teeth doing the same trick whilst trouble shooting some live electronics :-) Apparently 240V will trigger the bite reflex pretty hard!

I have always used the head band approach with a 2AA maglite with a extreme led upgrade. But yeah its not something you can carry or direct anything like as easily :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back