What's new
What's new

Tapping 2-56 holes with a cordless drill

rivett608

Diamond
I had to tap a bunch of 3/8” deep 2-56 holes in aluminum today and was in a hurry. I was doing this by hand the normal way when I remembered I had bought a Festool CXS cordless drill because it was small and had a very good feel to the speed control. I thought I would give it a try, something I don’t think would go so well with a heavier DeWalt, remember this is a 2-56 tap going in a deep hole.

It worked fantastic! Very fast, no broken taps and I could really “feel” that small tap through the drill. Now I’m even happier I bought that drill.

Just thought I would mention a good tool that worked in an application I didn't expect.

Did the same thing with a cheap cordless screwdriver. I found a drill chuck with a 1/4” hex shank that fit the spindle. Agreed, the lighter tool the better with small taps.

When I read a thread title like this one, I usually think no-f'in-way someone did that. Clickbait. Spam. Whatever.

But then I looked at who started it. And read it to find that yes, they did do it.

The "no broken taps" was just icing on the cake. :)

Smallest I've done is 440 with a Milwaukee m18 fuel drill lol...the biggest issue is wandering off level and causing the tap to bind and then snapping, the second biggest thing is reversing with all that torque, it can cause you to react and snap the tap lol.

I would have never ever thought a screw size that dinky could be tapped with anything other than a small T-handle and a bunch of Hail Mary's..certainly not accomplished with a drill. As I recall, your stock in trade is very small stuff so 2-56 may be a walk in the park for you.

Stuart

Thanks guys, honestly I wouldn’t have thought it was possible or a good idea which is why I posted it. I think it was the combination of my delicate touch and the Festool drill which is both light weight and has great sensitive slow speed control.

I also think McCritctley might be on to something with the cheap screwdriver idea, about $300 less than my drill. Light too....

Yup, small cordless works suprisingly well. I use small 10.8v makita.
I have tapped some M2.5 holes to 10...12mm steel. Not quite as small as 2-56 but same ballpark.

I find power tapping small holes the way to go. I can focus more on alignment while knowing the tap will be driven straight in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a dewalt gyro screwdriver YouTube
It's a really neat tool and I have been thinking about attaching it to my tapping guide.

It takes a slight amount of practice to "debounce" your hand but after you get that down the speed control is quite amazing.

I wish I could tell you I tapped 1-72 with it, but I haven't tried tapping yet. I was wondering if anyone else has tried them. It's a very unique control and amazingly precise.

I have a dewalt gyro screwdriver YouTube
It's a really neat tool and I have been thinking about attaching it to my tapping guide.

It takes a slight amount of practice to "debounce" your hand but after you get that down the speed control is quite amazing.

I wish I could tell you I tapped 1-72 with it, but I haven't tried tapping yet. I was wondering if anyone else has tried them. It's a very unique control and amazingly precise.

Yep, I've got one. I like it a lot too. Does take some getting used to for sure. I had my Dad try it when we were installing a new screen door, he kept messing it up, couldn't stand it. I find the low speed control and modulation to be about the best of anything I've tried.

I second on the cordless screwdriver. I'm lucky to have a 4 AA batteries slow turning screwdriver. Gives you a good control and I use rechargeable batteries.

Back