OT- white gas camping stoves/lamps - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, that loos really nice with the burners going.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, awesome looking stove! I'm a sucker for old tech, and liquid-fueled burners both. Got an MSR Dragonfly as my backpacking stove over lighter weight options for various reasons, and now you've shown me that I don't need to be chained to a propane tank for car camping, either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Thanks guys for sharing your support AND your less fortunate experiences. Just to summarize, it sounds like in addition to common fire safety I should:

1. Check for leaks via corrosion and loose parts. Every season, or when it gets cleaned. There's actually a brass check valve under the cast iron burner manifold that I think is a drain for water condensation?

2. Monitor tank pressure and the condition of the filler cap seal. I'm thinking after use and before throwing it in the back of the van, I'll let the burners get cool to the touch and then release any air left in the tank. This stove can hold a lot of fuel, but unless I plan on cooking all day, I'll only put in a quart or so at a time so there's less chance of fuel spilling out.

3. Anything else to keep this stove from taking away my eyebrows (or worse)?
    I think you've got it pretty well covered. Been a few years since I went camping, cannot remember if it was a NP reg, or a NFS reg, but you might want to include a shovel, one of those entities requires it for any kind of open flame, idea being you can throw dirt on a fire, but it works for burying things too. Do you have a reserved spot or just plan on waiting in line? You might want to also consider getting one of the DeLorme? maps that shows NP, NFS, and BLM lands in case you cannot get a campsite, I like bondocking remote spots. Have fun, have a great vacation, your kids will remember it!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I think you've got it pretty well covered. Been a few years since I went camping, cannot remember if it was a NP reg, or a NFS reg, but you might want to include a shovel, one of those entities requires it for any kind of open flame, idea being you can throw dirt on a fire, but it works for burying things too. Do you have a reserved spot or just plan on waiting in line? You might want to also consider getting one of the DeLorme? maps that shows NP, NFS, and BLM lands in case you cannot get a campsite, I like bondocking remote spots. Have fun, have a great vacation, your kids will remember it!
    I went ahead and reserved a site as the free one's are apparently gone almost 24 hr's in advance.

5. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgot to mention, my son and I, along with a bud will be in Yellowstone in a couple weeks too, we have a 10 day hiking trip planned out, not all in the park

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    You might want to also consider getting one of the DeLorme? maps that shows NP, NFS, and BLM lands in case you cannot get a campsite, I like bondocking remote spots. Have fun, have a great vacation, your kids will remember it!
    DeLorme rules! We took Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming on our Yellowstone trip.

As someone who tries to stay off the superslab as much as practical, its great to know what other routes get you from here to there. To me, a good trip has more miles of back country roads than interstate.

You will be out of cell phone reception almost all the time while in the park and surrounding areas. Hard copy maps are important.

8. Likes dalmatiangirl61, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Yeah, awesome looking stove!
    One of the best in design and execution I have ever seen for what it is. I had a 1920's vintage Coleman G'Dad bought used, 1920's that served 3 generations of the family faithfully, but it was primitive by comparison.

That said, based off what I've learned since from other travels, I'd prefer the single, multi-stage burner kerosene-fueled ones (and a Wok to match) that a gadzillion Chinese and other Asian families and food vendors lived off of all year 'round, not just on holiday outings, before LPG or piped "town gas" came along to displace them. See also the ones whole Armies are fed off of.

"White" gas is not all that easy to find, MOGAS has nasty additives, and summer heat makes the greater volatility of either even more challenging that it already is relative to Kerosene.

2CW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    One of the best in design and execution I have ever seen for what it is. I had a 1920's vintage Coleman G'Dad bought used, 1920's that served 3 generations of the family faithfully, but it was primitive by comparison.

That said, based off what I've learned since from other travels, I'd prefer the single, multi-stage burner kerosene-fueled ones (and a Wok to match) that a gadzillion Chinese and other Asian families and food vendors lived off of all year 'round, not just on holiday outings, before LPG or piped "town gas" came along to displace them. See also the ones whole Armies are fed off of.

"White" gas is not all that easy to find, MOGAS has nasty additives, and summer heat makes the greater volatility of either even more challenging that it already is relative to Kerosene.

2CW
    If you're talking about the Primus type kerosene burners, they are indeed very hot/efficient but more of a PITA to get going and can be quite finicky WRT the cleanliness of their fuel.

I recently machined a few new bases for a friend's Taylor kerosene marine stove/oven combo to make the burners easier to swap out when they got clogged. The idea being a fast swap to a clean burner then disassembly/cleaning in a calm anchorage rather than having to do it on passage.

When I had to decide I fitted a LPG stove to my boat, and a gas sniffer. I have the kerosene stove and lamps, just rather not deal with the hassle.

I like those old Coleman mantle lamps though, got quite a few of them in white gas and kerosene. Plus Tilley lamps.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    If you're talking about the Primus type kerosene burners, they are indeed very hot/efficient but more of a PITA to get going and can be quite finicky WRT the cleanliness of their fuel.
    This "general type". Cheap, cheerful, JFW:

China Novel Design Durable Kerosene Stove with a High Quality - China Kerosene Cooking Stove, Kerosene Stove

There are many, MANY others.

The family had nought else but various forms of pelletized biomass or coked and formed coal "back in the day". Parts of Asia, that is still the case.

A good Wok, of course, sees use for a lot more than just "stir frying". We also roast, boil, steam, and even bake with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to use a kerosene lantern for camping. Switched to battery now. I took a two gallon can and a big funnel to the local airport on a Sunday afternoon. Had a kid fill it up with jet fuel from the tanker truck. The nozzle was about 2" in diameter, their funnel was much to big to use in a anything smaller then a 5 gallon jerry can.
    Jet fuel has almost no smell compared to kerosene and it was about 1/2 the price.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

propane starts not working so well at higher altitude.
    domestically white gas is probably easier but if you
    go international kerosene is probably easier to find

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    ....go international kerosene is probably easier to find
    Outside the US or Canada - Oz or NZ only "maybe"?

Best to rely on properly set-up, well-known and well-rated guides, tours - and resorts with appropriate local services and support staff, anyway.

Locals know the drill - visitors, not so much. Rules, regulations... and risks abound, even then.

Dominican Republic - even in average to luxo hotels - has been overmuch in the news, and they are still trying to find out WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stove looks like a real find. I think you also said something in the OP about a lantern. Probably a lot less need for a lantern at the 45th parallel this time of year than in Texas. Stays light a lot later at night. I raised my kids in that area and we never used a lantern on summer camping trips. Your kids will get more out of a Yellowstone area trip than any theme park (my opinion). Sunlight Basin, Quake Lake, Virginia City, Mt. Cody Wy. Beartooth Highway, Teton Park, Red Rock Lakes NWR to name a few. Lots of interesting stuff a days drive away. If they squabble in the car, offer a nickel to the one who first spots each bunch of wild life. Then they will spend their time looking out the window instead of tormenting each other. Enjoy your trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For light where you don't have to carry the batteries kind of hard to beat a led lantern
    a simple candle lantern works surprisingly well. and well it's quite.

and you have to watch the mantels on the Colman lanterns they are fragile stiff suspension
    and a rough road can damage them

and Coleman did at one time make a 3 burner stove as well got one
    that is probably as old or older then me

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad bought a 3 burner Coleman white gas stove on the way to a camping trip in 1974. I still have it, it still works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Outside the US or Canada - Oz or NZ only "maybe"?

Best to rely on properly set-up, well-known and well-rated guides, tours - and resorts with appropriate local services and support staff, anyway.

Locals know the drill - visitors, not so much. Rules, regulations... and risks abound, even then.

Dominican Republic - even in average to luxo hotels - has been overmuch in the news, and they are still trying to find out WHY?

Kerosene readily available in Aus & NZ. White gas, less so but available. Neither are particularly cheap. Then again LPG isn't particularly cheap either. You don't really use enough of any of them to actually matter cost-wise though, unless you're really really poor.

WRT tours, resorts et al I think those are truly wonderful and wish more people used them. It leaves the rest of the planet for people like me. There's a mini-expedition cruise ship that anchors & takes people ashore in a bay close to my place. That's fine, I have all the other bays where that ship can't reach and those people will never see.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where do you get white gas?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gulf "Marine White" gasoline ....12 cents a gallon..worth the extra cost for a trouble free boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Gulf "Marine White" gasoline ....12 cents a gallon..worth the extra cost for a trouble free boat.
    Is anything 12 cents a gallon these days?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    Where do you get white gas?
    White gas is also known as Coleman Fuel or camping fuel. Called "white" to distinguish it from "pink" (leaded) gas. Available at any Walmart and any place that sells camping equipment. Definitely not $.12/gallon.

23. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post