What's new
What's new

Gear pinion manufacture

Desert Oilfield

Plastic
Hi all, I'd like to make some of these small pinions in house possibly, BUT, i don't understand gear terminology or exactly what I'd need to order hob-wise to do so. No I don't have a hobbing machine but I do have a lathe and milling machine and a will to learn. Can anyone assist me with how I tell my pressure angle and pitch...a bit confused with the online data.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 226
Unless you have a dividing head that can be hooked up to the mill table lead screw, you will need a gear hobber. It's necessary to do a helical gear, unless you have a CNC mill with a 4th axis, it would be possible then.

Attachments

• Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Helical Math A.jpg
    Helical Math A.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 68
A pinion with a small number of teeth is certain to have a modified tooth form,and while I am sure you could cut a meshing component,it would be very noisy in operation,and fail quickly..........The other issue is wear on larger gear.

With all due respect, that is not a gear you want to be cutting with a dividing head and a space cutter. I commend you for wanting to give it a go, but you will not be happy with the end result. Turn up your blanks and take them to a gear shop that has the correct equipment to cut the teeth.

yes, it's starting to look that way unfortunately gear shops are far and few between in Alberta and the lead times are brutal...time to search the auctions!

I hesitate to ask, but why does it have to be Alberta?

Why can't you have it sent from Calgary or Edmonton? ( or anywhere else, for that matter? )

There is A LOT more to making proper and good gears than simply investing in a machine. Forget the knowledge, how will you gauge them? Unless you are going to be making a lot of them, you will be miles and money ahead to farm it out to someone that knows what they are doing and can provide quality. You have at least two gear shops that are likely not even in the running ( due to the cross border costs ) advising you to farm it out. Might be free advice, but certainly worth more than it cost you.

I needed two gears from a mobile crane gearbox made......took it to the local gear place.....they said "it will be $1500 up front.....for us to do the calculations and prepare a quote ".....So ,I got out my Machinerys Handbook ,figured out what could be fitted,then went round all the truck and machinery wreckers and found a combination of gears that could be fitted....This was in 1994,the setup I made from truck gears lasted ,and now the old crane is likely to be scrap......took the gears out,and they are still perfect ,none of the welds have cracked ,the crane could go another 30 years......except for a thing called "Cranesafe",another cost to business ,bet there is no cranesafe in China or India.

Back