What's new
What's new

OT: Why Was the Korean Fusion Thread Closed?

EPAIII

Diamond
I see that the thread about the Korean Fusion facility was closed ("OT-Korean artificial sun sets new world record"). But no reason for that was given. I do not see why.

It may not be exactly a shop topic, but the title did start with "OT".
It was about a Korean facility, but it was not in any way political (or religious).
It did have a descriptive title or at least one that matched the web page that it referred to.
It may be Asian, but it certainly is not "home shop grade".
It does not seem to be covered by any of the updates to the "Machinery Discussion Guidelines" sticky.
OK, it is not a question. But it is very informative on a very technical matter - the creation of a new and probably clean energy source. Is this why it was closed?

Fusion power has been a goal of science, of physics for many decades now. It certainly seems worth discussing. And I, for one, am certainly interested in hearing of any progress in this effort, no matter how small. PS: there is virtually zero chance of this thing exploding or destroying the earth.

I'm not complaining. I am not trying to start anything. I am just wondering why. Oh wait, let me phrase that as a question. Can anyone tell me why it was shut down?

I believe like most technical challenges this one will be beaten- it just takes time.
Remember the Lockheed Martin announcement in 2014?

Some asshole always has to inject politics into it.

Just as some asshole always has to miss the joke in everything.
200.gif

I don't think that fusion reactors are for making clean energy (I know that many outlets are trying to push that narrative), but to push our knowledge of physics, like LHC.

If you consider that E=mc^2 and how much mass is needed to ignite a star (Jupiter is huge, but no cigar), the energy requirement for a sustained fusion is more than the fusion can produce.
I think it's the same as building a perpetual motion machine.

I reckon if we were all better politically educated the ass hats wouldn’t be able to screw us, suppose that’s why it doesn’t get taught in school, and the educators of the people are the MSM, however as far as fusion goes I’d love to think it will get us out of the hole were in, perhaps it will, not these bloody silly wind thingys and solar panels it takes an arc furnace to make the ingredients, but of a loosing battle
Mark

Figured the usual reason.

Your fam'ly could no longer find a day-care center you hadn't already been expelled from for the third time for finger-painting "I hate Trump" on the wall with your own feces.

I thought it was for eating the paste.....:D

I reckon if we were all better politically educated the ass hats wouldn’t be able to screw us, suppose that’s why it doesn’t get taught in school, and the educators of the people are the MSM, however as far as fusion goes I’d love to think it will get us out of the hole were in, perhaps it will, not these bloody silly wind thingys and solar panels it takes an arc furnace to make the ingredients, but of a loosing battle
Mark

Nobody wants to pay attention to it, but "clean" fusion isn't.

The problem is.. that even if H goes neatly to He, no trans-Uranic elements involved, the radiation from the reaction f**ks up all the mass around it into long-half-life radioactive isotopes. Can't just flush those down the terlet.

Meanwhile, controlled artificial photo-synthesis has been working in the labs.

Might it make more sense to copy a plant than a star? I mean.. yah can even EAT it. Try THAT with amorphous Silicon!

Mind ... if it wasn't for the fortunes to be made off stock market value, some folk would just plant seeds of existing green things that need no further education.

Go figure that's too easy?

:D

Back