What's new
What's new

OT why the sudden youtube switch to multiple ads?

partsproduction

Titanium
I noticed it over about a two month period, youtube ads are almost always doubled, and on longer videos there can be 4 to 8 ads.
So OK, first thought, greed. That doesn't satisfy my internal reality meter, which often can lead to conspiracy theories.

But to attribute it to corporate knowledge of something most of us don't know about is a reasonable explanation, while leaving what that "something" is in the dark.

It's becoming natural enough for me to intensely wait with the mouse icon on the erase button to turn white so I can click it while ignoring the ads themselves that I've adapted my rage down a bit, after all, they do need to make a living too, but that implies that they weren't before.

Assuming they suddenly needed twice as much revenue as before why would that be?

I admit to being a youtube junkie, because it's the opposite process from TV. With TV you watch what they set before you (Or record it) whereas youtube is more like a supermarket where you rush in and find what you are looking for and BAM! suddenly you are eating what you went in for (Or in this case watching it).
Granted cable and satellite TV has a wide buffet table of delights, or indoctrination, depending on how you view it, but still they control what's available.
YT does that too with their twisted ideas of "Community standards" but one can adjust to finding the raw bleeding edge of what they allow.

Anyway, if a different websight of the type that let the viewers decide what's right and wrong instead of some far left whacko hoax believers filtering everything that would be a good reason to double and triple the ads, as sane people left youtube behind.
It would serve them right.

So OK, first thought, greed. That doesn't satisfy my internal reality meter, which often can lead to conspiracy theories.

-Satisfy or not, that's the answer right there. There is no other reason.

The fact is, more and more people are using ad-blockers, and Google, being the owner of YouTube and publicly owned, is beholden to their shareholders for always-increasing dividends.

So they pile on more ads. More ads equals more money. That's why we now have ads in the middle of the video, as well as at the beginning.

No conspiracy, it's pure-D greed. Same reason Milacron allows The Usual Idiots to keep spewing their political bullshit threads that stretch out to hundreds of pages and thousands of replies: More replies mean more ad impressions, more ad impressions means he can charge more per click, which means he makes more money.

It ain't rocket science.

Doc.

It's becoming natural enough for me to intensely wait with the mouse icon on the erase button to turn white so I can click it while ignoring the ads themselves that I've adapted my rage down a bit, after all, they do need to make a living too, but that implies that they weren't before.

Whether you're ignoring the ads or not, they've certainly captured you for a bit.

Sent via CNC 88HS

YouTube does little "filtering"- that is, trying to 'hide' things from you.

Don't get me wrong, they DO do exactly that. But the majority of what you're seeing is them feeding you what makes them the most money.

Some random guy's rant on how Dianne Feinstein is a lizard person from the Moon? Nobody watches that. This Old Tony, Abom 79, Roadkill, the Slo-Mo Guys, Colin Firth? Those get thousands and thousands of watches, and therefore thousands of ad impressions.

Again, it comes down to money. YouTube isn't going to waste time offering you a video you're unlikely to watch, they're going to feed you the stuff everybody watches. That's how they make money.

Doc.

Be that as it may, I still wish there was an alternative that didn't filter subject matter so much.

There are plenty of alternatives. You can even roll your own service.

The in-video constant ad is even "half-blockable". All I see of it is the outline frame. Content seen right through it.

Or use Unix-but-not-only tools to background download, remove the ads, re-serve the cleaned content off your own storage. Got those. PITA. Really. They are.

They cost money to operate. Take time to mess with. Or both.

They do not have "Master Of The Findit Universe" - AKA Google - "automagically' steering nearly all global searches to them and then .. linking-in relevant vids, sidebar, to the current search, or to your own past viewing pattern..

Google very damned seldom goes anywhere else, even if a firm the size of GMC has put up a video on their own website.

Doc called it accurately. It is what it is.

I'm not so "hooked" on you tube to PAY it, but ISTR they have a for-recurring-subscription-fee "premium" user plan that at least REDUCES the amount of adverts, even if not fully skipping them?

There is your "number to beat" option, if so.

Nuisance or time. You preen the ads after download, your end of the pipe.

Nuisance or money. They do it at the head of the pipe.

TANSTAAFL .... and wishing will not change that.

Not only has the frequency of ads increased, somehow they have decided that I am fluent in Spanish as well. A percentage of the ads presented are now in Spanish.

There's nothing more useless to an advertiser than presenting me with an ad for a product in which I have no interest in a language that I don't understand. But I guess they get paid anyway.

Not only has the frequency of ads increased, somehow they have decided that I am fluent in Spanish as well. A percentage of the ads presented are now in Spanish.

There's nothing more useless to an advertiser than presenting me with an ad for a product in which I have no interest in a language that I don't understand. But I guess they get paid anyway.

Given my druthers, I'd have mine arrive 100% in French or Romansch.

SOUNDs interesting and is easier to ignore when you haven't a f**king klew what particular Chinese-Opera song is being sung off-key though any given nose, only that it is a MARVEL how folks can DO that and not strangle on their own toenails!

Err... I meant "tonsils".. blame British-English spell checkers...

:(

I've noticed the spanish ads as well. I have NEVER watched anything on youtube in any other language than english so I don't know how/why that is happening. Funny enough, I just notcied tehis morning the ads are much more frequent. Seems not even a week ago they were *tolerable*, but all of a sudden this morning they play every two songs. I don't watch as much as listen to music.

It's simple.
The number of ad's, and length of each will increase until viewers drop off.
it will then be backed off 10% and started up again.

However, once people leave, getting them back will take allot of advertising $.

I've noticed the spanish ads as well. I have NEVER watched anything on youtube in any other language than english so I don't know how/why that is happening. Funny enough, I just notcied tehis morning the ads are much more frequent. Seems not even a week ago they were *tolerable*, but all of a sudden this morning they play every two songs. I don't watch as much as listen to music.

There are a ton of political ads running lately.

Any chance the Spanish language ones were of that sort?

Some are right dreadful.

Of all faces and demeanor's and antagonistic attitudes to put up to raise funds for Biden?

Chuck Schumer has to rank right up there with food poisoning bad enough to drive viewers to leave him run while they break and go for a s**t!

Can't IMAGINE they couldn't have found a more personable and pleasant presenter that could sell or entice rather than UN-sell and drive-off!

fb doubled ads as well.

YTers usually post to bitchute and dailymotion as backups

They know, thanks to the c-virus imprisonment, and acuity of political interest, they have a captive audience.

That mouth should have a hook in it
Z6ZCNXKOBVPGUBJJQPWQPCIFLU.jpg

Dude.. We're in Florida... Spanish ads are to be expected.

Also, as someone pointed out, the ads made them pay for a premium subscription. That right there is why they're pushing more ads. They want you so annoyed you pay them money to get rid of the ads. And you pay them automatically, every month.

Same here, no tv for decades but utube has been great until the last year+ or so. But this summer it has their man Bidden cranked up to 11
I immediately pause the vid and do search for something else.

But last night I said outloud to my self...I guess will wait till after the election to come back
If a new company came a long there is a market to be had for sure

There are a ton of political ads running lately.

Any chance the Spanish language ones were of that sort?

Some are right dreadful.

Of all faces and demeanor's and antagonistic attitudes to put up to raise funds for Biden?

Chuck Schumer has to rank right up there with food poisoning bad enough to drive viewers to leave him run while they break and go for a s**t!

Can't IMAGINE they couldn't have found a more personable and pleasant presenter that could sell or entice rather than UN-sell and drive-off!

I think most of them are Mcdonalds actually. If I think about it I'll take note if something different pops up.

@Teachmeplease (almost forgot about the other teachme!). I thought Google and Youtube were doing the same type of thing, tayloring the ads from your search history and websites visited. I see lots of ads pop up for MSC, and Amazon. So not sure why I would be hearing Spanish ones, at least not with a regular frequency.

As recommended by mrpete222, I've switched to YouTube Premium with zero ads!

Well worth the money, IMHO.

Mike

Did the same thing a year or two ago. $10 a month I think. Now a lot of videos have ads as part of their show. "This show sponsored by..." and they go on for 3 minutes promoting some product or service or solicit donations. Thank goodness for the fast forward button.

If we here could agree on a non u-tube site to post vids to that might help get some watchable content off that advertizing site. I wont post anything to u-tube, but also have not cared enough to look for somewhere else too post either. bitchhute? vimeo? ...IDK

If you use youtube-dl it doesn't get the ads. I'll watch something for a few seconds to see if it's good, then grab the video to watch later if I really like it.

Junkier stuff, well, I'm never going to buy Grammarly, no matter what. Ever.

Back