What's new
What's new

OT- WiFi doorbell and iPhone app....reaction time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Such as ring.com Someone presses the doorbell, your iPhone 6S is in your pocket...What exactly happens the instant someone pushes the doorbell ?

Assuming you are in WiFi range does your phone instantly ring or emit a tone within less than a second of someone pressing the doorbell button regardless of being in "doorbell app" mode or not ? And do you automatically see them on your phone after that, or do you have to specifically go to the app first ? And what happens if you are talking on the phone at the time ?

Ring Video Doorbell for Your Smartphone | Ring

(800) 656-1918
Give them a call, I'm sure they can answer your questions better than any of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a brilliant suggestion..I would never have thought of that in a millisecond.

It should be obvious if someone post a question on a forum asking about a product, they want objective answers from someone with actual experience with the product, not the sales pitch of the company that sells it.

Please, if you don't know the answer to something don't respond.

What a brilliant suggestion..I would never have thought of that in a millisecond.

It should be obvious if someone post a question on a forum asking about a product, they want objective answers from someone with actual experience with the product, not the sales pitch of the company that sells it.

Please, if you don't know the answer to something don't respond.

Apologies for angering you, I looked at your questions, and seeing that they were quite specific figured they were beyond the scope of a review. I also figured that if you asked them specific questions they would give you the answers. If someone who owns one could chime in that would be great, but in the meantime you may find what you need with a quick call.

I value my time as I'm sure you do as well, if I don't think I have something useful to write, just like you asked, I don't.

If computers are involved, as they are, then there is no precise answer to this question.

What happens when I request an internet page to be displayed in my browser. Sometimes it pops up almost instantly and other times it takes seconds, even minutes. Even the same page from the same site can take widely different amounts of time to download. Why? They can give you various explanations, but for a particular event, no one can know for sure. Best answer you will get is the volume of internet traffic. But that may not be all of it.

Same thing for cell phones and pads.

I worked on a project where the response from a computer needed to be within 1/60 second (16.6 ms) of the time when an event was scheduled. For a computer, 16.6 ms is a very long time: millions of instructions can be executed in that duration. Our programmer worked for almost a year trying to meet that spec. on an every time basis. He could easily do it 90% of the time. With about a month's work he could do it 99% of the time. From there it was slow progress and we had to call it "good enough" when it reached around 99.9% of the time (999 times out of 1000). I don't know if he could ever had made it much better. Nor could he, an experienced, programmer, with a doctors degree in computer science, determine the exact causes of the remaining delays. And that involved only ONE computer and no internet involvement. The test computer was completely disconnected from the internet and the local net and yet the remaining delays persisted.

The designers of the operating systems for these devices have their own idea of what priority is to be assigned to particular tasks and the user's priorities are not at the top of their minds.

My apologies for responding without knowing the "answer". I don't think anyone has a real answer.

Try this, the guys reviews are great and accurate!

Techmoan - Techmoan - Ring WiFi Video Doorbell Review
Perfect ! That is exactly the sort of review I was looking for....unlike the magazine reviews that are better than speaking directly to the company...way better than nothing.... but they tend to go a bit easy on a potential advertiser.

And sure enough, it is the delay that is the main downfall of the device. Plus things I had not considered like the motion sensor picking up lord knows what, ringing you up at 3 am but then the lord knows what has already gone by the time video display or recording starts to take place. So at 3am you get to worry a burglar has left that door to go break thru a window or whatever when it might have been set off by a bat in reality !

(note to kine...now do you get it ? In fact I had already called the company before I posted and the sales person answer was "one to two seconds" on the delay....which turns out to be very misleading.... one needs real world answers on this sort of thing, not pat answers from sales people)

Kine and the rest of us probably would have given more accurate responses if the title were not so vague. You left out the name of the device, the name of the software and the fact that you wanted personal experience with that particular device.

I started to type a long post about how the various doorbells can be used, and my buddy's experience with Ring; Then I found your response to Kine and realized that my post would probably displease you too.

It's really hard to create a meaningful response for the OP when the neither the title nor OP spell out all of the requirements. I can see why you shut down so many threads that have meaningless titles.

Dan

Dan,

This is a machining site. Many here are good machinists with a lot of very valuable experience. But that does not mean that they are expert authors. I have had a good education where subjects like composition and even technical writing were covered. I never considered them useless as some do. And I have written my share of various studies, documents, instructions, and articles. I do feel that a title should tell the reader what it is really about. This can save valuable time and many here are in situations where time is money. They need to quickly decide what to read and what not to.

But I can also sympathize with the frustration of those who have threads shut down because the title is not descriptive enough. I think there should be some process where the titles could be revised to be more descriptive. Perhaps by keeping the original title but adding some descriptive words, kind of like the popular hash tags. Example:

Original title:
What's This All About

Revised title:
What's This All About # SB 13 Lathe Turns Tapers

Kine and the rest of us probably would have given more accurate responses if the title were not so vague. You left out the name of the device, the name of the software and the fact that you wanted personal experience with that particular device.

I started to type a long post about how the various doorbells can be used, and my buddy's experience with Ring; Then I found your response to Kine and realized that my post would probably displease you too.

It's really hard to create a meaningful response for the OP when the neither the title nor OP spell out all of the requirements. I can see why you shut down so many threads that have meaningless titles.

Dan
Vague title ?? What is so vague about "WiFi doorbell" ?? Meaningless titles are more like "Hey everybody, look at this !" at worst and "Serious weight problem" at best. WiFi doorbell is not even remotely meaningless unless you are clueless what WiFi or iPhone or app means...I presume you know what a doorbell is....but maybe not..

Kine and the rest of us probably would have given more accurate responses if the title were not so vague.
So what you are saying is that you and kine repond only to titles of post, not the content....rich...

The funny part is since you knew exactly what a "Ring" is then you HAD to know EXACTLY what I meant in that title. Not to mention the fact that kine was not responding to just my title, but to my entire post, full of details........so I call total BS on your entire post.

(note to kine...now do you get it ? In fact I had already called the company before I posted and the sales person answer was "one to two seconds" on the delay....which turns out to be very misleading.... one needs real world answers on this sort of thing, not pat answers from sales people)

SO then why didn't you state this in the the OP? Oh that's right, you were in a hurry as usual.

Then later on, you spend the next several posts (and a lot more time) berating people for wasting your time and calling them Captain Obvious instead of just taking the time and providing a tiny bit more info up front.

SO then why didn't you state this in the the OP? Oh that's right, you were in a hurry as usual.
Because I knew there was a high probability it was meaningless dribble from a sales girl reading the specs from her computer screen...why bother to post that ? I only posted it after absolute confirmation is was perhaps not "meaningless" but highly misleading. In other words it is possible the "average" is indeed aprox. two seconds but there is a lot of microsecond and 20 second delays in the mix to get that average. You are in "Monday morning quarterback" mode now.

And since all I need to know is in the fantastic review that adama posted, no need to continue, as further posts will likely be time wasters, so locking this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back