What's new
What's new

OT- Wifi signals through a wall.

jackal

Titanium
With all the shop doors open, wifi from my house will reach my shop.

Now that it is geting cooler, the doors being shut, nothing.

I have looked at bridges, repeaters, and Access points, but can find or understand what I want.

This is what I want:

Install router inside my shop. Run directional antenna outside toward house. Router inside shop has small antenna. Tablet and cell phone inside shop receives boosted signal from house.

Is this possible? I saw similar setups on internet, but they required an ethernet cord from shop router to computer, or receiving device.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Are the doors and walls metal? If so, you are making a shield room, and should not expect reception.

Run a wire and put a wireless hub inside.

Dunno about wireless receiver and re-transmitter idea. They exist for cell, a friend has a setup like that due to living in a valley way out in the sticks, but there might be trouble when doors are open.

You want to get the shop antenna outside of the steel/aluminum door that is blocking the RF. Putting the whole device outside is easier/more effective than just extending the antenna. You can put an "indoor" device outside in a tupperware container if it's protected by the eaves or an awning. POE (Power over Ethernet) can make it an easy one-wire install, with little cable-length constraint. If it's a USB device, that can be placed at the end of an "active" USB extension. Active USB extensions can run 50 feet or so, due to internal boosting circuits.

That said, just adjusting the signal path so that the line-of-sight is thru wood or (non-low-E) glass, instead of the grounded steel door, is a good thing to try.

Chip

There are many that will do as you request. I have a pair of small (12 inch) dishes that bridge (literally... extend the physical network), my house to my barn, 500 feet or so, with about 100mbit. You connect to the dishes with ethernet cable; the far end goes directly to a router. The dish electronics have a built-in web server to set parameters, and is powered by POE (power over Ethernet).

They were IIRC... $160 a pair, but you can find much cheaper if you don't need the range or to punch through trees. Mine is Ubiquiti Nanopower M2, specifically the Nanobridge version, and can go for miles (unobstructed). Don't buy more power or range than you need.. you can interfere with your neighbors wifi if they are in your bridge beam (it's way wider then the transmitter/receiver!). I'm in the woods so it doesn't matter.

Search on "ubiquiti nanostation" for lower cost versions. Ubiquiti Nanopower M2 - Bing

Jack, Hi, I am in the uk, but we used to install these links all the time, wifi is patchy stuff, it is microwave frequency, travels in straight lines, so you need a line of sight between antennas, yes it will bounce or reflect from some surfaces, but you will lose 30% or more of your sig strength. If you mount an outside antenna like this one,
TP-LINK 2.4GHz 9dBi Directional Antenna
there are loads out there , you need one compatible with the wifi you use, and connect the cable to a wireless router by removing the existing antenna and attaching the cable. put the router into bridge mode (i think, some vary) and it should all work.
phil, east yorkshire

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, the building and doors are metal. If I stand real close to the doors on the inside, I can get reception.

I just figured there was a way to mount a router inside my shop, then run an antenna outside. With the router distributing a wireless signal. My devices are wireless, without a usb or ethernet connection.

Let me look at some of the links provided, and soak it all in.

The distance is about 90 foot, but running a wire isn't an option.

Thanks,
Jack

This is one way to do this. It effectively acts like a long wireless Ethernet cable. Not super cheap, but effective. I installed one of these at a place bridging a distance of maybe 900 feet a few years back. At the remote building I installed an off the shelf wifi access point. It's still working fine. Just another option.

Yes, the building and doors are metal. If I stand real close to the doors on the inside, I can get reception.

I just figured there was a way to mount a router inside my shop, then run an antenna outside. With the router distributing a wireless signal. My devices are wireless, without a usb or ethernet connection.

Thanks,
Jack

it's entirely possible. 1) find a router with an sma/fme fitting (detachable) antenna 2) get long range +dB antenna, mount it outside, but sheltered, drag cable inside. 3) config router to "bridge only" pointing to main router as "gateway"

Thanks,
Jack

Amped Wireless SR10000 High Power Wireless-N 600mW Range Extender (Smart Repeater)

This can be bought at walmart for $100. Very simple. Has two removable antennas so you can run separate directional antenna outside and have the other to re-broadcast inside. Plus 4 Ethernet ports.

Once you have it hooked up, follow directions and it'll be going in 15 minutes.

I also hooked one up for the parents to feed off of the family bidness prolly at least 400 yards, using directional high gain antennas on the router on the shop and on the repeater at the house.

Back