What's new
What's new

OT- Will UPS accept a crate like this as is ? (pic)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Seems they might fret over the sharp metal edges.... but maybe not...

tapcrate.jpg

24" x 30" x 8", 48 lbs

No telling without taking it there and seeing if they do. It's dependent on the leniency of the specific person at UPS.

UPS won't like those tabs sticking up.

But even if they accept it, and damage it, they'll put up a fight over a claim no matter how it's boxed....so in that sense it's worth a try.

The tabs bend down to close, OP knows that, easy.

Get the better thicker packing tape and just cover all sharp things and call it good.

With competition UPS is no longer picky.

We received this week 150 of the fold up cardboard bins as flat stock, just stacked and shink wrapped.

Every tire we have received (assorted lawn equipment sizes) just a label stuck to the tire.

Tape it to avoid them catching on things to damage your box.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

My driver would take it. And I would expect to pay handsomely for a package that big. 24 + 30 + 24 + 30 = You're into oversize territory.

Don’t know about over there but skf used to pack bearings in those and they came fedex, sandvick also packed big face mills in the same boxes, think they used dpd and our parcel force just tape the sharps up
Mark

Yes, I have shipped pretty much that exact crate with UPS several times. Sometimes with an industrial pull out handle and wheels (shipping crate style roller bag, but bigger). Never had an issue.

My favorite package I have received (I think Fed-Ex, not UPS) was a new car muffler with a shipping label attached. No box at all.

My driver would take it. And I would expect to pay handsomely for a package that big. 24 + 30 + 24 + 30 = You're into oversize territory.

No he's not. Ups measures length plus girth - 24+8+24+8+30 - 94". Oversize would be over 165. Large package surcharge would be over 130. Additional handling (dimensions) is for packages with longest side over 48, or second longest side over 30". None of those apply, so it's just a normal package.

What they will get him for is 'additional handling, packaging/other,' for item not being fully encased in cardboard. That charge ranges from $14-17.50 depending on zone .

OP just needs to decide if it's worth wrapping it on cardboard to save $15, but it'll ship either way.

Oh, and stretch wrap/house wrap won't help - UPS specifically lists packages wrapped in stretch wrap as being subject to the additional handling surcharge.

What they will get him for is 'additional handling, packaging/other,' for item not being fully encased in cardboard. That charge ranges from $14-17.50 depending on zone .

OP just needs to decide if it's worth wrapping it on cardboard to save $15, but it'll ship either way.

McMaster has the answer....:D
Object moved

We have crates like that come in periodically from Europe via DHL and LTL shippers. Can't say for sure with FedEx or UPS, but I don't think it would be a problem as it's an industry standard crating system.

I receive tires all the time via UPS and they are wrapped in shrink wrap...and I am sure no one is paying extra. The reason they are only shrink wrapped is it's easier and cheaper than boxing them. I also once received an entire Dana 60 differential (4.10 gears, 35 spline Detroit Locker, minus axles) via UPS and the shipper did nothing other than adhere a label to it.

I received a package like that about a year ago with tooling in it.
The shipper has put some tape on the sharp edges, but basically was the same.

I ship musical gear in similar cases I'd always called ATA flight cases.
There is sometimes a surcharge levied for non-cardboard faced packages.
I usually wrap in a thin layer of cardboard, and duct tape.
They don't slide as much on the conveyer system UPS uses
It adds some protection & to keep prying eyes/fingers out

Back