What's new
What's new

OT - wireless long range cctv advice needed.

bic

Cast Iron
I recently had a trail camera stolen - now the camera I am not too fussed about; but the fact that there are persons unknown skulking about where they shouldnt be, is an issue.

I want to put a CCTV camera near where the trailcam was, but there is no power there.

Ideally, I need a battery powered camera, that gives off a wireless signal which I can pick up 200 metres away (where I have power)

Does such a thing exist?

When I looked into it (a couple of years back) I would have had to "roll my own"
with a box, a camera, a large solar array & batteries, and a R.F. xmitter.

Keeping a xmitter running 24/7 takes the power. If you could integrate the motion
detection at the camera (I think they now offer this), and only light up the xmitter
when needed to send the data (upon motion alarm or when queried by home base)
I think your power requirements would drop considerably.

IBTW thought your residents are allowed to go any where they wanted ?
I.E. no such thing as private property.

Last edited:
advice? dont.

long range and wireless=crappy picture, VGA webcamera underwater kind of crappy.

it would be interesting to know how they spotted/stole your trail cam... if they spotted the IR, then it might be worth two... set one up slightly away from the last one, like you tried to hide it but were too stupid, then hide one properly pointing at that one, disable the second cameras infrared, so make sure it's in range to make use of the IR provided by the decoy, then at least you have photos of people stealing your stuff.

better idea:
iu

If you can place a solar panel high enough to be out of sight, and large enough to power a cell phone, there are a few apps for iphones that can help. The app "manything" looks like it can do motion sensing, push email, and a few other things that would help. The app will run on a 3GS, which can be had for about $100US or less. Screw a tupperware container to a tree, and place a glass lens in an appropriately-placed hole, and you should be good to go. But hiding it well, and not using flash, is the key.

Chip

Back