What's new
What's new

Best method for repairing cracked cast iron lathe stand

mausli

Plastic
I am restoring a smart and brown lathe. The cast iron stand is cracked from the door all the way down. I was wondering what you guys think would be a sensible way to repair it . I thought bolt a plate behind it either side of the crack. But I dont want it to propagate farther.

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_202829.jpg
    IMG_20161113_202829.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_20161113_202813.jpg
    IMG_20161113_202813.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 545
I'd definitely stick with mechanical means, and bolted plates are as a good as any, and in your situation a bit of blending in with bondo etc around the edges of the plate it could look nice as well.

TIP - if the crack has a stopped end ..find the very end of the crack and drill a small hole right thro' say 3/16'' - it helps stop the crack spreading.

I had an early Colchester-the leg at the tail stock end was like Humpty-Dumpty! He was put together again using prepared pieces of 1/4 plate and lots of 5/16 bolts.

How about 2 pieces of bar stock that fit the 2 holes nicely. Put a snap ring groove near one end of each and drill a hole through each 90 degrees to the center of the bar. Put the bars through the holes and put a bolt through the holes in the bars and draw it together. The bars and snap rings will make it look like it has never been repaired. Put the bolt on the inside so it's out of sight.

I had some cast arn innards on a horizontal mill drive that got broken in transit. I had a buddy TIG braze them, I've had no issues, and they support a good bit of weight.

I'm having difficulty interpreting the images.

Is the cast iron cracked? Or the steel base cabinet.

There are decisions to make. Repair of an iron casting can follow many paths. In order of increasing difficulty and quality of repair: patch it up to get a little more use, cosmetically conceal, reinforce the defect against further damage/deterioration, permanent mechanical fix, dismantle to bare casting, strip paint to bare metal, scab over with wire stitch (not to disparage: wire stitch done right can be an effective iron casting repair but few have the patience), V-grind the defect and braze repair, V- grind and arc weld using suitable rods, or oxy/acetylene weld with cast iron filler to make in effect an autogenous weld ,

Metal stitch will hold it together, and keep the break from further developing. Arc weld with nickel rod, will work, will not look very good. Last cast iron repair arc weld I was involved with kept cracking on cool down. Solution was to torch before weld, and continue torch heating for slow cool down. That weld is still ugly, but holding. And yes, the available, on hand materials were used, some research, and specific technique and materials could provide better results.

Its the cast iron base cabinet with is cracked. Its an open crack which goes all the way through. It starts at the cabinet door and goes to the ground. Is metal stiching something I can do myself or do I need to farm it out ?

This kind of response comes up every single time somebody asks about cast iron repair. :)

If it were a trailer tongue, everybody would just say "throw some 6011 on it and forget about it." :D

But cast iron? Everyone has their favorite tried-and-true, old-family-recipe technique... and what's worse, is you'll find many of them will actually get defensive, if not outright angry if you don't pick their pet technique.

Brazing is indeed a common, and relatively easy fix, and generally gives good results. In your case, however, the casting is large enough that you'd need a monstrous amount of preheat, plus a large and powerful torch, and would need to take extensive steps to properly cool-down the casting afterward.

TIG brazing would need less heat from the torch, but a similar preheat and cooldown process.

Lock-'n-Stitch generally works, but is surprisingly expensive, and very time-consuming. Irontite screws, a similar process, as noted only works if you have a closed-end crack.

Bolted plates are probably a very good option in your case. If the backside of the casting is flat (no ribs, etc.) then you could drill one hole in the casting, one appropriately placed tapped hole in the plate, and bolt it on. With it thus secured into place, add three to five additional holes and bolts, evenly spaced on either side of the crack.

Use countersunk/flathead bolts, seat them slightly below flush, tighten with a dab of Loctite, and then skim it all over with a smear of Bondo. Sand and paint to taste.

Personally, on the last three machines I've had with cracks or breaks, I used an arc-welding rod known as Muggyweld. I was able to weld a previously-repaired crack in the foot of my Springfield lathe using the rod, with no preheat and no peening:

springfield91.jpg

I made relatively short welds, and let the area almost completely cool between stitches. The only peening I did was to chip the slag. The only tricky part is on certain kinds of cast, I've found, you'll get porosity, which I suspect is from... maybe excess carbon or slag in the parent metal, maybe? When I got those, I ground them out and buttered in more Muggy.

The rod isn't cheap- in small quantities, nearly $10 a rod with shipping. But that weld shown only took about 3-1/2 rods or so, even with rewelds over ground-out porosity, so $35 for that fix was, in reality, dirt cheap.

Doc.

I would weld it with an arc welder. I have a Pexto sheet metal sheer that was dropped when they delivered it and it broke one of the cast iron legs off completely. I used MG200 machinable nickel electrode, 3/32 dia. after veeing out the break line and welding it without any preheat. This is a low amperage rod and I used short welds with a lot of peening. It welded in so nice that you have to look carefully to see it.

Back