OT woodchuck problem - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I see stray/feral cats wandering........they are fair game.
    I agree

Pellet Gun.. I use a .22 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do you know that the cats you are killing are indeed feral and not some little girls or old mans pet? Do the cats have signs on them? My cat is out pretty much all day and I do worry a bit about psychopaths who feel they have to kill cats.

3. Likes tdmidget, assface421, Porschefix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly had some Bar-B-Q-ed, years ago , it was very tasty. But with that said , German Shepard would be tasty if it was cooked just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking of cats ? I love Sail Cat , find a cat on the high-way ( after several days ) , you know mashed real flat. Get a big coal shovel , wide and flat. Scrape it up , sail it like a Frisbee, a lot of fun.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not that I don't like cats but I don't like the creatures that urinate/spray on my grill, entry door to my house, house, car, etc, and kill the baby bunnys in the front yard, and birds. If my neighbours didn't keep killing the coyotes then they would take care of the cat problem, and probably help with the squirrel problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    How do you know that the cats you are killing are indeed feral and not some little girls or old mans pet? Do the cats have signs on them? My cat is out pretty much all day and I do worry a bit about psychopaths who feel they have to kill cats.
    When I mentioned "Tom cat" I was afraid this is where it'd end up. It's just the way it is. Not referring to you in particular but some cat owner don't have the sense enough to get outside cats fixed. A cat population cam skyrocket out of control very quickly and can become a major problem. In breading causes them to be deformed at birth among a whole host of other things. This can be a problem regardless of where you live.

I didn't realize that a woodchuck was a groundhog when I posted. That's getting kinda big for the average cat to kill. Dog would be much better size wise.

Some dogs have been known to grieve/starve itself to death next to their owner dead body. Cats faced with starvation in the similar situation will more often than not eat their owners dead carcass. This I think may contribute to the cat killing mind set? But that's my uneducated guess.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    When I mentioned "Tom cat" I was afraid this is where it'd end up. It's just the way it is. Not referring to you in particular but some cat owner don't have the sense enough to get outside cats fixed. A cat population cam skyrocket out of control very quickly and can become a major problem. In breading causes them to be deformed at birth among a whole host of other things. This can be a problem regardless of where you live.

I didn't realize that a woodchuck was a groundhog when I posted. That's getting kinda big for the average cat to kill. Dog would be much better size wise.

Some dogs have been known to grieve/starve itself to death next to their owner dead body. Cats faced with starvation in the similar situation will more often than not eat their owners dead carcass. This I think may contribute to the cat killing mind set? But that's my uneducated guess.

Brent
    Domestic cats are murder on bird populations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Domestic cats are murder on bird populations.
    Absolutely. Basically anything that moves. The wife wanted to put out a bird feeder until I helped her realize it was cat bait.

Where I used to live the squirrels learned to travel on telephone wires to keep from being eaten.

Brent
    Last edited by yardbird; 09-19-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fix some words....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    Absolutely. Basically anything that moves. The wife wanted to put out a bird feeder until I helped her realize it was cat bait.

Where I used to live the squirrels learned traveled on telephone wires to keep from being eaten.

Brent
    You will never see a squirrel on the ground for long around here.
    I wouldn't mind losing a few of those and we got plenty of rabbits...
    But the song birds are a loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't kill for the sake of killin'. Even a pooch will get a meal of lead if it's chasin' deer around here. The main reason to dispatch a prowlin' feline is to eliminate an unnatural predator. Song birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, grouse chicks all are easy targets for a cat. Keep them inside and everyone is happy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A decade or more ago, we had feral cats, pet cats, little pet dogs, racoons, possums, whatever passes for a groundhog around here (Gopher?)...all gone now, Coyotes moved in, completely sterilized the area.
    We have big dogs, the Coyotes don't bother them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone is happy? House cats will rarely kill a squirrel. The squirrel has to be sick or real old otherwise they can easily escape a cat or inflict enough pain to get away. Yes, mine will catch a bunny (big deal) now and then as well as a bird but he spends most of his time outside pursuing mostly mice, chipmunks and sometimes moles. I like that he is out there eating the critters that invade my shop, my trucks (that is the biggest problem for me with rodents), my lawn and my house. I don't have the time to shoot them all, unnatural a predator that I am. I hunt for food and to get out in the woods, so I get it. If you like to shoot the neighbors cat because of some imagined issue, like it is peeing in your grill (cats ALWAYS pee and poop in dirt where they can "cover" it up - it is most likely the crap that he is cooking that makes it smell like that) you are a junior sadist or psychopath. Probably a bit of a control freak too. Every cat that I have ever known as an inside only cat was quite neurotic and would piss in places in the house just to piss the owner off. That would not make me happy and obviously the cat is not happy either.

15. Likes tdmidget, assface421 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    I don't kill for the sake of killin'. Even a pooch will get a meal of lead if it's chasin' deer around here. The main reason to dispatch a prowlin' feline is to eliminate unnatural predator. Song birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, grouse chicks all are easy targets for a cat. Keep them inside and everyone is happy.
    So, this happens with some frequency here.
    Yuppie buys a hobbie ranch...
    His Goldens were running the neighbors cows...
    Neighbors killed the Goldens and hung them on the fence so the owner knew what happened...
    Dog guy sued the rancher...
    Rancher won...and got damages for running the livestock.

17. Likes digger doug, Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone is happy? House cats will rarely kill a squirrel. The squirrel has to be sick or real old otherwise they can easily escape a cat or inflict enough pain to get away. Yes, mine will catch a bunny (big deal) now and then as well as a bird but he spends most of his time outside pursuing mostly mice, chipmunks and sometimes moles. I like that he is out there eating the critters that invade my shop, my trucks (that is the biggest problem for me with rodents), my lawn and my house. I don't have the time to shoot them all, unnatural a predator that I am. I hunt for food and to get out in the woods, so I get it. If you like to shoot the neighbors cat because of some imagined issue, like it is peeing in your grill (cats ALWAYS pee and poop in dirt where they can "cover" it up - it is most likely the crap that he is cooking that makes it smell like that) you are a junior sadist or psychopath. Probably a bit of a control freak too. Every cat that I have ever known as an inside only cat was quite neurotic and would piss in places in the house just to piss the owner off. That would not make me happy and obviously the cat is not happy either.
    Cats are very territorial animals they spray/piss to mark their territory. They also mark things with scent glands below the ears. If other male cats are in the area this can be a problem hard to stop. Actually I don't know if it can be?

Brent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know cat spray when I see it. It is actually on the grill cover, not the grill, and the door. Real obvious what it is. I have also watched a cat piss on my house from my shop. Same goes for dogs. Just because you live in the country don't let your pets run wild, they get into trouble. I don't let my dogs run so keep your pets from killing the critters I like on my property and all is well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    So, this happens with some frequency here.
    Yuppie buys a hobbie ranch...
    His Goldens were running the neighbors cows...
    Neighbors killed the Goldens and hung them on the fence so the owner knew what happened...
    Dog guy sued the rancher...
    Rancher won...and got damages for running the livestock.
    Even happens here. My wife's one uncle, years ago, had people move in next to his farm - city folks. The first day they let the two German Shepards loose and they chased his cows. He went over and explained that dairy cows were his livelihood and would they please keep their dogs off his property. Next day they let them out again and they started chasing the cows. He used the 270, loaded the dead dogs in his pickup, backed up to their front porch and returned the dogs. Never heard a peep or had any more trouble.

Dale

21. Likes digger doug, Ray Behner, thomj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, delivery.
    Here we just hang them by the road.
    If the owners don't pick up the corpses it draws coyotes to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really simple way to tell if a cat is feral or not around here.

It's on my property, it's gone feral and I'll trap or shoot it as I see fit.

I like cats but I'm making no apologies for my attitude. I also like my small native animal and bird life.

You, as a cat owner, have an absolute responsibility to keep your pet within the bounds of your own property. If you don't or won't, tough luck.

PDW

24. Likes DavidScott, specgrade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Really simple way to tell if a cat is feral or not around here.

It's on my property, it's gone feral and I'll trap or shoot it as I see fit.

I like cats but I'm making no apologies for my attitude. I also like my small native animal and bird life.

You, as a cat owner, have an absolute responsibility to keep your pet within the bounds of your own property. If you don't or won't, tough luck.

PDW
    Too right, if it hasn't got a collar it's fair game. Snakes care even less.

Btw, what's the issue with groundhogs- holes, disease, random squeaky noises?