Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    Dont mean to get too personal with you .......
    Unfortunately many here in the states either dont understand it either or didnt care.
    Reminds me of the pic I saw of a bunch of greenies a cpl years ago off the left coast of the U.S. protesting the use of oil by surrounding a tanker ship in their plastic / fiberglass canoes and kayaks......
    ROFL! Wait until the congenital fools discover they are only HERE because nature finds them so VERY easily recycled for their concentrated nitrates, calcium, trace elements... and the trust that they have already bred more congenital simpletons so that other life-forms may simply eat.

... by mechanisms who'd become expert at that sort of recycling already.. and haven't asked for the first dime in tax funding in the several billion years they have simply been doing the job for a percentage cut of the complex nutrients!

The complex can be simplified more easily than simpletons can grok the complex?

Could was...

Quid-Pro-Beijing-Joe Buyed-in's minders greatest fear ain't Ripofflican opposhitshion in Con-gress.

Overeager Dermestid beetles with earbuds, 'California style", rather!

Flesh-Eating Dermestid Beetle Time-Lapse | California Academy of Sciences - YouTube
    Last edited by thermite; 02-26-2021 at 11:06 AM.

2. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

unfortunately, i've enough urea in my toes and ankles to make my own particleboard.

4. Likes Dieseldoc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And another thing...

Prices were low at the pump because of demand depletion due to covid- you know that pesky little virus you might have heard about.
    Remember last year when WTI futures hit -$40/ barrel.... and airliners around the world were parked and stayed that way.
    Remember all the restaurants were closed, ZOOM was a thing- remember all of that...

Well the virus is on its way out and crude use is on its way up.
    Prices at the pump are going up as they follow crude pricing ( just pull up the thirty year charts for both if you don't trust me).

Do you guys pay attention at ALL to what is happening in the world.

6. Likes JohnEvans, Milland, 72bwhite, JoeE., Ries and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to fracking, the United States is the world's largest oil producer. Has been for almost a decade now. Not just barely second, the USA is about 70% more than second place Saudi Arabia. And in this case, its not the President's fault. Joe has no opinion whatsoever, he goes with the flow. And the flow of those who put him in the bully pulpit is "oil is bad". So there are a huge number of government policies, not voted on by congress, that have suddenly flipped to discourage the exploration, drilling, transportation, and production of oil.

Lumber prices got stupid high because of covid. Lumbermen were not essential workers, so no trees were cut for months. At the same time, lots of people were home, doing fix up projects around their house, and using up supplies of available wood products.

Here is a graph of lumber futures. Its labeled wrong, the price is actually $/1000bf.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs

8. Likes Gordon Heaton, JCByrd24 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    unfortunately, i've enough urea in my toes and ankles to make my own particleboard.
    Problem of long-standing in many a family.

Not the only one that affects extremities, though.

Some of my backline had paid more attention to having kin or buds who had the same sized feet?

They cudda shared a 50% saving off splitting the cost of pairs of socks and boots in their old-age?

Mind, still need to match which SIDE on the shoes and boots...

TANSTAAFL!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    And another thing...

Prices were low at the pump because of demand depletion due to covid- you know that pesky little virus you might have heard about.
    Remember last year when WTI futures hit -$40/ barrel.... and airliners around the world were parked and stayed that way.

Well the virus is on its way out and crude use is on its way up.
    Prices at the pump are going up as they follow crude pricing ( just pull up the thirty year charts for both if you don't trust me).

Do you guys pay attention at ALL to what is happening in the world.
    Prices were reasonably low prior to Kung Fu flu. Yes they went lower because of the slow down that ensued.
    I remember Barry and company laughing at the notion that we could drill our way out of the crisis that they had manufactured.....but that is exactly what happened. Drilling...pipeline distribution was increased etc. Now Uncle Joe is doing what he has been told to do by his handlers and the prices are on the rise. The price increases wont stop at the pre covid level of roughly $3 a gallon around here. Combine "the sky is falling" mentality with policies designed to make ALL ENERGY a bigger part of everyones monthly budget.
    I find it interesting that someone like Creepy Joe gets elected promising to eliminate oil and now as he and his handlers go about the business of doing exactly what they promised to do there are ppl out there who will claim its "normal market forces". Its not....we are seeing the beginnings of their efforts....

Make sure I understand this correctly......
    Barry and company (and their policies) were NOT responsible for $5 a gallon....
    Trump and his policies were NOT responsible for $2.50-$3 / gallon (pre covid)
    Creepy Joe and his policies are NOT responsible for whatever it tops out at (I suspect $5 by Labor day)and higher beyond that.
    Surely you dont actually believe an administrations energy policy has no effect on prices....
    As Joe hits the re-wind switch.....the prices are rewinding.

11. Likes digger doug, Mtndew, Modelman, 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Joe hits the re-wind switch.....the prices are rewinding.
    "Joe hits?"

"Joe" couldn't "hit" any part of a one-holer outhouse wall with a frag grenade if he was INSIDE the sunovabitch a-settin and pondering the fate of yestiddy's lunch!

He'd fumble the frag down-hole - dive for a comfy basement nap - and just kick-up yet-another Hellacious NOISY retread s**t-storm - passed safe over his petrified teflon-dick-because-no-shit-ever-sticks head. yet-another of the class of s**t-storm as had no predictable direction to it but "messy, smelly, useless, and expensive to clean up". If even we COULD "clean it up".

"QED"

What did y'all THINK was going to happen?

13. Likes toolsteel liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prices were going thru the roof long before COVID hit. I know this in a very real way because I was doing some much-needed home repair back then. Went to the lumber section to get the wood and said "WTF" even a piece of 1x pine shelf plank has tripled in the last few years. I think it maybe a good idea to go to the SEC and read whatever Georgia-Pacific (NYSE:GPX) and Home Depot (NYSE:HD) has filed in the last few years. Bearing in mind the US normally gets wood from Canada (them Canadian chicks are HOT!!) and also bear in mind, monopoly pricing. Just like with the drug prices, they jack it up because they can.

15. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gas is up 90 cents here too and urea is made from natural gas, nothing to do with urine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Prices were going thru the roof long before COVID hit. I know this in a very real way because I was doing some much-needed home repair back then. Went to the lumber section to get the wood and said "WTF" even a piece of 1x pine shelf plank has tripled in the last few years. I think it maybe a good idea to go to the SEC and read whatever Georgia-Pacific (NYSE:GPX) and Home Depot (NYSE:HD) has filed in the last few years. Bearing in mind the US normally gets wood from Canada (them Canadian chicks are HOT!!) and also bear in mind, monopoly pricing. Just like with the drug prices, they jack it up because they can.
    Canadians in general, odd politics aside can be "hot" off the back of ordinary human better health, driven simply by generations of wiser lifesyles, individually applied.

They tend to KNOW they have a tough row to hoe as a small population on large land that has some crushing winters and not a lot of leeway for fat, dumb, and earbud & drugs self-imposed IGNORANCE. Other than the oddities in their politics.

But WTH? Have to warehouse dangerous and/or simply juvenile-SILLY.. fools SOMEWHERE.

May as well be in a place so public that "many eyes" can stay abreast of whatever mischief the truant bastid's are getting up to with enough advance warning to kerb their worst appetites for pre-versions?

As to wood products? It pays to do yer homework?

90 sheets of C-D X G-P Plytanium, SYP, fabbed in their Nawth Carolina plant to 4-ply and 15/32" wasn't as badly priced as all that mere few months ago.

Considerably less expensive than OSB, actually. Also FAR the more durable and wet-resistant choice for doubling a roof deck.

Shop around. Trucks still exist.

I NORMALLY preferred H-D over Lowes, but Lowes had a flat ten-percent Veterans Discount. They thanked me? I thank them, too. By not often BOTHERING to claim it!

Never expected to have my ass kissed, don't even like some of them as offer it.
    They didn't earn the privilege, y'see.

You'd have to know Veterans?

Or just "GFY" and annoy us not at all?

18. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know about elsewhere but around here construction is booming. Several large remodeling/expansion projects going on just in the few blocks around my house. Also, Covid restrictions and increased costs for energy, etc. have created both supply problems and contributed to higher prices.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess all those fires from the non-riots over the past year had to burn something.
    Wonder how the clowns who were striking matches would feel if they could think far enough past their noses to realize the very ppl they claim are responsible for everything the poor little darlings claim caused them to throw their temper tantrums are the same ppl who are hearing the cash register ring when rebuilding happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Canceled drilling on gov. land. Shut down pipeline. Green new deal policy's. Anti fracking policy's. Oil producers and retailers know Gov anti oil policy's will hurt production and increase costs = higher prices at retail. Pre election gasoline at local stations, about 1.90 / gal, I payed 2.80 yesterday. 55.00 to fill my truck 3x a week.
    None of the actions you mention affect current supply, and won't for years. And the prices right now are about the same (within pennies/gallon) as they were in October of 2019. Most of the data I see show that gas was about $2.50/gallon before the election, and I seem to recall paying $2.47. Are you sure you aren't confusing gas prices at the end of the Trump administration (in the $2.50-$2.75 range) with that at the end of the Obama administration (less than $2.00/gallon)?

But imputing the effects of long-term changes like those you mention, on near-term prices, seems to be a case of making a conclusion and then searching for a rationale. I don't think the argument stands.

22. Likes JCByrd24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prices have gone up quite a bit on wood products.

What I did not see mentioned is part of the reason for price increases was the wild fires in Oregon last year damagez a lot of timber and the equipment to harvest it.

https://www.forest2market.com/blog/2...-forest-sector

24. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like a lot of plywood and I guess OSB was used for boarding up windows in storms, riots and insurrections lately. I doubt if much of it is recycled after an event.

26. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Canceled drilling on gov. land. Shut down pipeline. Green new deal policy's. Anti fracking policy's. Oil producers and retailers know Gov anti oil policy's will hurt production and increase costs = higher prices at retail. Pre election gasoline at local stations, about 1.90 / gal, I payed 2.80 yesterday. 55.00 to fill my truck 3x a week.
    .....and to continue, under President Trump, the US in four years had become a net exporter of gas and oil. That's going to change with Elmer Fudd in the presidency. His handlers want him to get rid of the energy function. It will ultimately affect the world market.

What a brilliant stroke of government action!, Not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess all those fires from the non-riots over the past year had to burn something.
    Wonder how the clowns who were striking matches would feel if they could think far enough past their noses to realize the very ppl they claim are responsible for everything the poor little darlings claim caused them to throw their temper tantrums are the same ppl who are hearing the cash register ring when rebuilding happens.
    "Justice" is that rebuilding happeneth somewhere less "blew" 'er..

Or even not at all!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite....down here in the Richmond area at least, Home Depot and Lowes both give a flat 10% veteran discount. At H-D all you had to do was show them your VA card but at Lowes you have to jump through a few hoops (apply on line, DD214 etc.). Originally at H-D you had to have "service connected" on your card to prove that someone tried to kill you and failed. They must have stopped that practice because they don't check for that anymore. For all you veterans out there, ask any place you shop if they give military discounts. You might be very surprised at how many places do. Many auto supply parts stores (advance auto is one I know) offer 10%. They do not usually advertise this fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Seems like a lot of plywood and I guess OSB was used for boarding up windows in storms, riots and insurrections lately. I doubt if much of it is recycled after an event.
    In reality I suspect the quantity pales in comparison to new construction.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    Thermite....down here in the Richmond area at least, Home Depot and Lowes both give a flat 10% veteran discount. At H-D all you had to do was show them your VA card but at Lowes you have to jump through a few hoops (apply on line, DD214 etc.). Originally at H-D you had to have "service connected" on your card to prove that someone tried to kill you and failed. They must have stopped that practice because they don't check for that anymore. For all you veterans out there, ask any place you shop if they give military discounts. You might be very surprised at how many places do. Many auto supply parts stores (advance auto is one I know) offer 10%. They do not usually advertise this fact.
    Been AWARE of it since coming back, August of '68, to Detroit afire, Vets being spat on, "etc". Discounts were there.. just at "periscope depth".

Time came, attitudes changed, a few sincere and genuine, far, far MORE the most klewless of naifs virtue-signalling "thank you for your service" out of flavour-of-the-weak borrowed political-correctness began to simply piss me off.

Then one day, it came from a clean-cut youngster, old way beyond his years wearing full rows of his history I still knew how to read over half a century on.

That day? So DAMNED long delayed? Choked back tears - or TRIED... and failed - as I returned:

"And you, my Brother. Well done!"

The quality of the source had finally made it worth the wait.

It has happened several times since, given "MDW" and the "Puzzle Palace" are in the area.

As to the discounts? Most days, I'd rather see them bank a few more bucks for at least having stood up to the offer. So they can keep a useful business healthy for next time I need them. They do not actually have fat margins.

Annnnd.. reality is that Vets are actually far better able to cope with adversity than non vets!

"Prevail" is what we had to do!

Regardless.

A(ny) Vet is in your sight?

They have done exactly that.

Whether under "incoming!" hostile fires.. or simply having the stamina and dedication to keep on pushing accurate paper, repair whatever is bustid, haul supplies, or shovel same s**t, different day so someone else didn't have to.

All hands lift. Damned few ride.

32. Likes digger doug liked this post