What's new
What's new

OTish -- Summer socks for the shop.

ChipSplitter

Titanium
I recently ditched the crew socks for summer and went to the ankle length ones.
I have trouble with sweaty feet and like vented socks but all the ones I have tried wear through about as fast as a drill sergeant's patience. :mad5:

So I'm asking you guys, what do you wear in the summertime especially in an unairconditioned shop?

I used to have sweaty feet. Now I wear smartwool socks with boots year round with no sweat. They are pricy at $20ish a pair but they work and last a year or so. Might want to see your Dr about getting drysol also. That stuff also works.

My feet sweat profusely even in January. I wear the RedWing logger boots with no insulation, steel toe. I use the cheap crew length mens socks from Dollar General believe it or not and yeah they do wear out. I just live with it and get a new bag of socks every 6 months for $10.

Darn Tough is popular brand of socks with hikers. They are guaranteed for life (they will replace them if you wear a hole in them) and are made in Vermont.

I recently ditched the crew socks for summer and went to the ankle length ones.
I have trouble with sweaty feet and like vented socks but all the ones I have tried wear through about as fast as a drill sergeant's patience. :mad5:

So I'm asking you guys, what do you wear in the summertime especially in an unairconditioned shop?

Bare feet in sandals or loose shoes with comfortable liners - NO socks atall when NOT in the shop. Feet don't sweat nor get hot when there's plenty of air.

Learnt in 'nam that boot socks are meant to be expendable. CE or leg Infantry "primary armament" Mark One Feet, not so much!

Pay the money. March on, regardless!

:)

"Diabetic socks" with LOOSE Steel Toads for shop and similar.

Close-fitted footwear FEELS good, but will make a wooden cigar-store injun statue's feet sweat like a waterfall.

I ain't Diabetic, but the socks made for those who are surely grip easier on the "antique" legs as to managing perspiration and NOT cutting-off circulation nor "die forming" their patterns into the legs.

US Made. 3 bags of a dozen pair, each, ever' now and then, online. "issued out" to the drawer a dozen at a go. ONE wears it gets pitched. Get low, the leftovers tossed out as well, next dozen loaded.

Cheap enough in bulk buy, all identical, no colour nor "pair" nor even wear matching to do. Saves hassle, laundry time and such.

I had Chinese-made Diabetic socks a few years ago I actually liked better. I just don't buy 'nuthin' from China no more.

At all.

Wintertime? GI cushion-sole "boot sock" style. Wool, of course.

Loose knit high wool content for me.

Nothing fancy like Merino or baby Llama etc etc - just plain wool with big needles.

Oh and leather boots, with at least a day's rest between wearing - so 2 or 3 pairs of boots.

Loose knit high wool content for me.

Nothing fancy like Merino or baby Llama etc etc - just plain wool with big needles.

Oh and leather boots, with at least a day's rest between wearing - so 2 or 3 pairs of boots.

Steel toe or composite ?

Cotton socks in the summer for me. Unless I'm doing fab work, I wear Salomon X-Ultra hiking shoes in the shop and they are a huge improvement in keeping my feet cool and comfy. They're meant for dirt with a soft sole so they do wear semi quickly but for the support they provide I'll just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Another Darn Tough fan, they keep your feet warm and dry, they wick sweat as opposed to cotton that just turn into a soggy mess.
I never thought that I would someday spend $200 on 8 pairs of sox, but they are worth it if you have quality shoes to go with them.
I have not needed the lifetime guarantee yet, but have only had them between 1-2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darn Tough is popular brand of socks with hikers. They are guaranteed for life (they will replace them if you wear a hole in them) and are made in Vermont.

I've tried them and they were really thick, too. Maybe I got the wrong ones? :confused:

Do you know if they have thinner versions? I like UA ones with vents but like I said before they just wear through after about a dozen uses......

Back