OTish: What kind of clamp to quickly seal the mouth of a sack vs a chute? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for an outfit that made feed grain mills. They had a valve that was a large diameter rubber tube hanging vertically and to shut it off they had a truck brake pot that pushed a plastic plate horizontally against another plastic plate. The edges of the plastic pinched off the rubber tube.
    With two valves spaced vertically one could charge the tube then close the top valve and open the bottom valve to release a measured amount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A steel band with a rubber hood or luggage latch seems possible. How about an air cylinder to retract the band instead of the hood latch. I have no idea how much adjustment a hood latch offers.
    Bill D

Amazon.com: Buyers Products WJ208 Truck and Trailer Rubber Hood Latch: Automotive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all, for the ideas. Rob, I didn't mean to insult your relationship with clay, haha... Only to say that most people think of clay as something you model into a sculpture - what I'm talking about is super dry, super fine, and loves to get everywhere.

Ok, a little bit of background to help guide the discussion, lol. I'm in rural West Africa, and so is this factory. The suggestions for pneumatic solutions would be the best way to do this, probably, but the factory doesn't have air (or even electricity, currently). We'll be installing a new off-grid 4kw solar power system this year to power some of the machines, but still no air.

This clamp will put applied and removed like 50 times a day, so zip ties aren't practical unless there's a kind that's meant to be used over and over again that I don't know about - and even then it's hard to imagine how that would be a one handed operation.

If I can't figure out a better way, they'll use a bungee strap wrapped around the sack to hold it against the chute - but I'm hoping to come up with something a little quicker to apply and a little more reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are zip ties with a little lever on them that can be released and reused, but I did a quick search and didn't find any that were much larger than 12" so I didn't think they'd be large enough. It sounds like your tube is larger than 4" diameter, but maybe you could chain a couple together? release should be easy enough to do one-handed with a little practice.

reusable-zip-tie.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look at handcuff latching mechanism for ideas. Look at how trucks and cars attach air filters
    Bill D.

PS: how do you get internet, satellite?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bicycle inner tube with a spring clamp to hold it shut and in place.

Or a Bicycle inner tube with a stick wrapped like a Spanish windlass or tourniquet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A tourniquet is super quick/easy. Would work with something springy like an inner-tube or bungee. Would probably even work with a piece of string or twine.

If you select a stick that's long-enough, you can even slide the end of the stick under a hook or latch to hold the tension in place hands-free while the bag frees. Then Slide the stick from under the hook/latch and the tourniquet unwinds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster-Carr

Duct Clamps like this are available in different sizes. The end of the duct has a rolled edge for the clamp to grab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The silicone rubber bands work particularly well for this. Put a couple on the feed pipe to help and then use annither to keep the bag in place. A series of sharp pins will allow the bag to be kept in place while the rubber band is put in place

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Short piece of rope and learn to tie a hitch knot? Or wire and a pair of dykes?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Surgical tubing

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drawstring sewn into the top of the bag. How many bags are we talking. Use the spring push button toggle clap for two strings.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This bag clamp is pneumatically operated, but could be made manual with springs that over centered to stay open or closed until moved by hand. 007_01.jpg007_01.jpg

16. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruralearl View Post
    This bag clamp is pneumatically operated, but could be made manual with springs that over centered to stay open or closed until moved by hand. 007_01.jpg007_01.jpg
    Looks like it would take a finger off right quick.

18. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post