What's new
What's new

Overmolding circuit board parts

David Carlisi

Stainless
Does Anyone know of a shop that does overmolding of electrical components in the southeast? I had one of my regular customers approach me this morning with an inquiry for a large quantity. Thanks in advance.

Amkor is located in the Phoenix area. They are one of the largest "sub-cons" as they are known in the trade. Their manufacturing is all in Asia. But I think they do prototypes in the US. My guess is that what is a large quantity to you may be small to them. Packaging subcontractors do more than half of all the packaging of IC chips and discrete devices, as well as chip on board and other packaging variants. I recently retired from a job where we engineered manufacturing equipment for IC packaging, so I have some experience in the area. PM if you have questions.

For small scale prototyping, VLSIP is pretty good (http://www.vlsip.com/). Amkor, ASE, etc are all pretty big - you need a fair volume to get their attention.

Just to clarify, by overmolding, you mean packaging integrated circuits? (or multichip modules). Or do you mean potting an existing circuit board for protection?

Feel free to PM me if you do need more info on packaging - I work for a IC manufacturer, and deal with the packaging part of the business.

Matt

Matt, the customer wanted me to machine a small quantity of the enclosures while we waited for a quote for injection molding. When I examined the part in more detail, I discovered that there were several electrical contacts molded into the body of the casing. The project is in limbo right now because of that. To answer your question, I would say a combination of the two. The circuit boards are potted for protection, but also include 3 copper leads.

Hmm, not sure if I can help then. The process that I'm familiar with is only the assembly of microchips. I'd assume the process is pretty similar for other shapes with embedded wiring, but I've never seen the process.

Injection molders should be able to do this though - just have to find the right one.....

Matt

David, glad you seem to have it sorted, but if you have any queries or questions I'd be glad to help, with advice if not manufacturing (I'm sure you don't want to buy all the way from the UK :) )

My injection moulding business has literally a ton of experience of insert moulding connectors into a plastic part. In the past few years I've developed the mouldings and pressed circuit tracks for about 30 or more automotive electronic connectors with clients. Parts I have moulded are on electronic throttle controls for Ford in the US, traction sensors for GM, ride height adjusters for Land Rover/Range Rover, BMW motorbikes, and the electronic gear change for the Smart Car. All have a stamped circuit - brass, nickel silver, often gold or nickel plated or tinned, overmoulded with varying materials to make a conductive component.

So if you get stuck, feel free to ask away.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. We actually machined the first sample this morning from delrin. They figured out a way to incorporate the contacts into the board, and we just had to cut clearance. If the sample is approved, we will be making the first run here, (Talk of 150) and the rest will be injection molded.(several thousand, I believe.)

Back