What's new
What's new

Oversize taps for green ceramics

Alumrock

Plastic
Looking for a supplier for Oversize taps designed for green ceramics (pre-fired). These will typically be 8 to 15% larger (depending on clay type) as the clay will shrink that much from green to fully fired state.

Randy G.

Taylor Tool, and probably a few others can make custom taps to any size and weirdness you want.

These materials shrink uniformly, so i'll do a test scaling to get the exact % shrinkage.

jigging green ceramics pieces will not be easy and I don't have a sophisticated mill or lathe.

Is it going to shrink in length also changing the pitch? Or only diameter?

Ed.

Clay shrinks in all direction, but not uniformly. It depends upon the predominant orientation of the particles (platelets). The shrinkage will be less pronounced parallel to the particles orientation, and maximal in the direction perpendicular to it.

Looking for a supplier for Oversize taps designed for green ceramics (pre-fired). These will typically be 8 to 15% larger (depending on clay type) as the clay will shrink that much from green to fully fired state.

Randy G.

The porcelain standoffs used in high voltage electronics all have threaded inside diameters. The threads range from 6-32 up to 1/4-20 in the sizes that I have used. The threads have sharp peaks and valleys. They are either made by molding around a threaded wax core that is burned out , molding around a steel core that is screwed out, or by taping the green ceramic. The sharp edges suggest that the green clay is tapped. It might be worthwhile to call one of the standoff companies and find out what method is used. At worst they will decline to answer the question.

For example, there is:
Standoffs: Round Standoff, Ceramic: Keystone Electronics

Back