What's new
What's new

Overtime

Mike1974

Diamond
So who is working tomorrow?

I know, prolly soon to be closed to chit chat nature...

I am actually working tomorrow for a bit (and I am salary!! :eek:)

Wondering how many people work regular overtime/Saturdays out of curiousity....

Many moons ago I worked a pretty regular 56 hour shift, 4 12's and an 8, and before that 5 10's and 4 on Saturday....

Try some 7/12's on. Those are a bitch. It's been a long time since I did any of those though. Had 3 month stretches of those more than a few times, back when. Whole lot of no fun. 32 hours of time and a half and 12 hours of double time were nice though.

Of course. It's supposed to be raining for the next few days so work while it's raining so I can take off some when the weather is good. This weekend's work is 3x pay though so that puts a smile on my face.

Just finished todays work so adios.

Try some 7/12's on. Those are a bitch. It's been a long time since I did any of those though. Had 3 month stretches of those more than a few times, back when. Whole lot of no fun. 32 hours of time and a half and 12 hours of double time were nice though.

I would have probably quit on the second week of that! I get overtime is overtime for a reason, but after about 10 hours OT, my time is more valuable. I almost died a few years back (and family history suggests I have about 10-12 years left..), not going to work what's left of my life away. :D

Haven't worked less than a 12 hour day in months......7 days a week. It ain't easy being greedy

Are you a shop owner? Just curious. I think if (well not even an if, but for conversations sake...) if I was directly making more money by being faster and/or working more hours (not overtime per se, just these parts sell for $50 each MORE MORE!), I might be able to do 10's and 12's all the time..... *maybe* I am not really all that greedy :o, money is for spending LoL

Are you a shop owner? Just curious. I think if (well not even an if, but for conversations sake...) if I was directly making more money by being faster and/or working more hours (not overtime per se, just these parts sell for $50 each MORE MORE!), I might be able to do 10's and 12's all the time..... *maybe* I am not really all that greedy :o, money is for spending LoL

Yes, one man band playing here :D Family helps out here and there with simple stuff.

I enjoy what I do and trying to push things. I also "reinvest" almost all profits into the business or set them aside in the "new Makino" fund which ultimately will be reinvesting :D

Back when I was 20 years of age, I worked as a rocker engine mechanic. The test stand that I worked on had an engine explode and the stand burned for three hours before the fire department could control it. All of the wiring and equipment on the stand were totally destroyed.

The crews were immediately put on seven 12 hour shifts. I did that for 7 weeks and then when I asked for a day off, they laid me off. The overtime didn't do much in those days since the base rate as $1.35 per hour. :rolleyes5:

Good thing, I started college right after that. LOL

Ouch. That's a douche move. I'd say they did you a favor if they were that kind of employer. You don't want to work for someone like that anyway. At least not for long. The place where I did the 7/12s a lot was pretty good. I even got paid for sleeping through most of a shift once (with full company approval). That was a kind of a long story, but basically I hadn't slept in three days and tried to call off. They almost crapped since they had a "hot job" coming from the mill. It had just arrived on a truck and it was supposed to go back on the truck within a few hours. Anyway, I got begged to come in and get the job finished - and then told after it was finished I could sleep the rest of the shift. A-OK by me. 2 hours of work and slept the rest. Just glad I didn't fall asleep at the wheel on the way in.

I'm working, and judging by how many across the world have no work right now I'm happy to be here.

From what I've seen the last few weeks, that's no longer an issue.

Many moons ago I worked a pretty regular 56 hour shift, 4 12's and an 8, and before that 5 10's and 4 on Saturday....

50 hour weeks are pretty standard where I work, but at least it's not mandatory.

Ouch. That's a douche move. I'd say they did you a favor if they were that kind of employer. You don't want to work for someone like that anyway. At least not for long. The place where I did the 7/12s a lot was pretty good. I even got paid for sleeping through most of a shift once (with full company approval). That was a kind of a long story, but basically I hadn't slept in three days and tried to call off. They almost crapped since they had a "hot job" coming from the mill. It had just arrived on a truck and it was supposed to go back on the truck within a few hours. Anyway, I got begged to come in and get the job finished - and then told after it was finished I could sleep the rest of the shift. A-OK by me. 2 hours of work and slept the rest. Just glad I didn't fall asleep at the wheel on the way in.

At that time, early 1960's, the Federal minimum wage was $1.00 per hour. The aerospace companies in Southern, California (North American Aviation, Rocketdyne, Douglas, Lockheed, Martin) all used that as a starting point for all of their labor. That was the entry level. After a year or two, you'd get a 25% raise! (25 cents, LOL)

In other words, if you wanted some kind of job and weren't an engineer with a degree, the companies would happily screw you and you would let them because they all paid about the same for untrained labor.

My brother, who was a degreed engineer was making $5,00 per hour at the same time as I was at the same facility.

So, it was what it was and you either took it and let the company screw you or went without. And yes, as you suggest they did do me a favor. Ultimately I wound up with a university degree and later on became a lawyer and lived happily ever after.

The only good thing was that I learned about manufacturing issues such as machining, mechanics, welding, basic electronics and the systems that were in place. That's knowledge that you can only get hands on. So, it wasn't all bad for a young guy.

at work, i'm also salary, but worked out a deal with the boss to do extra work after hrs for cash.

We are a mandatory a OT shop. If you don't have two Saturdays in a row you are forcible for Saturday. I volunteer for a lot of them so 56 hour weeks aren't uncommon, actually the norm.

I'm 51 with a senior still in high school. I intend to foot the bill for 100% of college for her as I did with my son. Plus I didn't get started saving for retirement as soon as I would have liked so I'm playing catch up working weekends.

Brent

Do now you work for someone or do you work for your own company?
Working in a UAW shop on the floor or even in management so different than running a shop.
Bob

I work for someone. But that was 2 jobs ago. This place is a little more 'traditional' as in set PTO time and stuff...

When we were building the plant I'm in now it was 60-70hr weeks for over a year.I was run down all the time and didn't know but it was the start of my heart problems.
That was ten years ago but lately I very seldom work over 40. Last week I had my first week end call in this year.

FNG operator told me the machine he was using wouldn't START BACK UP. Wanted to know where the breaker was. Told him he doesn't need to know that(I'm not even sure where it is}.Turns out this machine has a key switch installed and he never had it on to began with.
Oh well 4hrs ot for 30min time.

On the overtime it seemed in the machine trades OT is a fairly common thing but other businesses maybe not so much. In the town I live in I can't get a tire changed or buy a 2" X 4" after 12 o'clock noon on Saturday and nowhere on Sundays. It's a emergency call if you need the furnace guy, plumbing guy or the electrician on a weekend. Driving up and down the road I've notice the guys building our city and state roads are mostly are 5 days a week. I can't get a haircut on the weekends. Sister-in-law at the meat packing place 5 days a week. Go to the ER and they hafta call in the xray tech to do xrays. The guy fixing my car has it two extra days because he is closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Grocery stores, gas stations, liquor stores, pharmacies, restaurants and machinist. Just necessities Lol...

just thinking out loud...

Brent

I haven't had overtime since May 1978, ...............still occasionally have to work crazy hours though, .............and then it's always gamble as to whether I get paid at all.

On the overtime it seemed in the machine trades OT is a fairly common thing but other businesses maybe not so much. In the town I live in I can't get a tire changed or buy a 2" X 4" after 12 o'clock noon on Saturday and nowhere on Sundays. It's a emergency call if you need the furnace guy, plumbing guy or the electrician on a weekend. Driving up and down the road I've notice the guys building our city and state roads are mostly are 5 days a week. I can't get a haircut on the weekends. Sister-in-law at the meat packing place 5 days a week. Go to the ER and they hafta call in the xray tech to do xrays. The guy fixing my car has it two extra days because he is closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Grocery stores, gas stations, liquor stores, pharmacies, restaurants and machinist. Just necessities Lol...

just thinking out loud...

Brent

Good point! Need a plumber Sunday morning? Whoooweee gonna pay! :eek:

Back