What's new
What's new

Paint Booth Recommendations

thinktankgroup

Plastic
Hi all!

We're opening a one-of-a-kind innovation/fabrication lab (our kr150 r3100 arrives today!), I'm trying to get a paint spray booth / mixing station so we can put some great finishes on our materials.

Does anyone have any insights or advice on paint booths that you've used? There's many different types of paint booths, and I need something that can be multi-purpose and do a great job of making it easy to get a quality paint job.

BACKGROUND:
- We're working with materials like wood, foam and metals
- We will be spraying typical automotive style paint finishes and high-gloss coatings
- Polyurea sprayer
- Finishing furniture, foam, crafts, anything

QUESTIONS:
- Why wouldn't I want to get an enclosed spray booth?
- What brands are best?

Thanks in advance for any insights that you can provide!

How large will your parts be that you are going to be painting, AER Control Systems has a Portable Paint Booth which looks like a downdraft table and you place the part on the table and paint, but this is not designed for heavy paint fume, just small touch up. The table top is either 3 or 4 foot wide by around 2 feet deep.

See our website if interested, Industrial Air Filtration Equipment Manufacturers

You mention anything, that can have a great effect on booth size + also style. If you have a dusty shop but want great finishes that very much entails a enclosed booth with pre-filtration on the incoming air.

If you want through put you need great temperature control and that almost definitely entails waste heat capture - exhaust heat exchanges to prewarm the incoming air. There is a lot to it, but getting it right from the start will save you a lot down the road.

Above all don't forget some kinda peal-able coating in the new booth before you spray anything so you can clean it up fast and easy too.

First step should be to check with local/state code compliance--as to fire/electrical/fumes and approvals required.
In CA....a wet spray booth i$ a BIG, Frickin' deal....unbelievably expan$ive with at least 6 agencies
having their thumb in your butt.

Just installed a small Col-Met open front booth from AutoBody Tool Mart. The quality is excellent, you put it together with hand tools. I installed LED lights on magnets, along with hanger hooks. You'll have to duct out thru your ceiling which will be the biggest hassle of the install. I bought it thru Auto Body Tool Mart, but since the factory is down the highway, I was able to pick it up myself without shipping. I guess I should add I wanted something to do small parts, motorcycle tanks, etc but it is big enough to paint my Hardinge Mill. 4'W x 5' D x 7' Tall. Sounds small, but bigger than you think, perfect for what I do. I use it to store my parts washer when not painting. :) No room for doors, but seems to do a great job of filtration without them. I spray a bit of two part acrylic epoxy stuff, so I have a fresh air turbine hood/mask. Only way to go.

Last edited:
I went here when I started painting.

Paint Booths: Tools USA

You want an enclosed booth if you are using two part paints that can take hours to cure. During that time you don't want dust to settle in the finish. A down draft type with ways to hang parts from the roof is what I like. Lightly sprinkle the floor and walls with water before spraying.

Back