What's new
What's new

Parts for Taiwanese lathes

I have recently purchased a Peerless PL-36-910 Taiwanese lathe manufactured in 1980. I wish to replace some of the worn bronze parts ie Cross & compound slide nuts and the carriage drive gear.
I need to find a supplier and given these lathes were produced in great numbers under many different names I hope these parts will be available.

Maybe being in New Zealand and PM not being your first language you can get get a pass. I agree that these are numerous and made under many names but they are not the creme de la creme of the lathe world. However they are useful for second operation use and so may have a place in a professional shop. A source of the kind of info you seek might benefit more than a few so I hope it may stay.

I don't know about parts, but thank you for the topic. Upon reading it I tried a new Google search term for a manual for my little 1440 lathe, it is a Taiwanese Colchester copy. I looked for ages to try and find one. Your topic led me to search "Taiwan Colchester lathe copy" and bang, led me right to the Dashin brand lathes. Don't know why I never thought of that search until now. Mine is about a dead match for the Dashin Studturn, but is branded Hartford. The manual for the Dashin was easily found.

Apparently, the lathe I've got is made by Dashin for a bunch of other companies as well. Turnmaster (Lagun), Vectrax (MSC) and Jet all seem to have sold a branded version of the same lathe. There's also Liberty in addition to Hartford and who knows what else. The website of Dashin also says something about being the manufacturer of a "high profile British brand" lathe.

Last edited:

Back