What's new
What's new

Patching filler and paint touch-up?

beeser

Cast Iron
A few areas on my Victor lathe have paint that has been stripped from coolant. The underlying filler also seems to be worn away. What's a good approach to touching up the paint? Should a filler be applied first? If so, what type of filler is appropriate?

I was introduced to "3M Bondo Home Solutions All Purpose Putty, 1-Quart" by a professional painter last year. It is wonderful stuff. It is a two-part product that is very easy to use. It can fill deep holes because it hardens quickly chemically, not by evaporation. While it is hardening, it is easy to trim with sharp tools. After it is full hard, it is easy to shape with a portable sander or die grinder. Use a dust mask. It is $9.23 Prime a quart on Amazon today, cheaper than last year when I bought mine at the paint store for about $12 a can.Larry

I was introduced to "3M Bondo Home Solutions All Purpose Putty, 1-Quart" by a professional painter last year. It is wonderful stuff. It is a two-part product that is very easy to use. It can fill deep holes because it hardens quickly chemically, not by evaporation. While it is hardening, it is easy to trim with sharp tools. After it is full hard, it is easy to shape with a portable sander or die grinder. Use a dust mask. It is $9.23 Prime a quart on Amazon today, cheaper than last year when I bought mine at the paint store for about $12 a can.Larry

Thanks! Just ordered some on Amazon.

Back