What's new
What's new

Pathetic first post - Scammed by "Alan Babin"

reinhart36

Plastic
After being strung along on a $2500 purchase of a Logan lathe for almost 5 weeks, I had the credit card company charge back the charge.

Every week I would try to call this guy, and I would get a "this voice mail box is not setup" message.

Then, I would text and ask about the status of this order/shipment, and he would always reply with "we're getting it ready now."

Today, I tried calling (no answer as always), then sent a text warning that I needed this thing to ship today or I'd have it charged back.

His response? "which one"

He now acts like he doesn't know who I am or what I'm talking about.

Today I googled "machineinventory scam", and I see that people have had trouble with this guy all over the internet. He's a widely purported scammer.

Anyway, stay away from this guy, and his website: Industrial Machines - Machine Inventory

I'm going to look into reporting him to the justice department.

Thanks. In the future, I'll be sure to do my research _on the seller_ here before attempting a purchase.

Just piping in for the usual precision between Al Babin, who has been infuriating people since well back in the last century, and Babin Machine Tool who are probably the best Hardinge rebuilders around and top notch.

No offense but he probably considers a $2500 thing a smallish type thing and he has bigger fish to fry. I say this because I have heard it muttered by others.

How is that piece of garbage still in business? Even yet how is he still breathing, you would figure by now he would have crossed the wrong person and ended up in the bottom of a lake.

Just for the heck of it, I right clicked on one of the Babin site's photos and did an image search. It's either a stock photo or lifted from a Michigan-based machine tool distributor called IPD Sales. Apparently it's not just customers that are being ripped off.

Main point -- the Google search for photos bit is one way to help guesstimate if a listing is bogus.

Just for the heck of it, I right clicked on one of the Babin site's photos and did an image search. It's either a stock photo or lifted from a Michigan-based machine tool distributor called IPD Sales. Apparently it's not just customers that are being ripped off.
Main point -- the Google search for photos bit is one way to help guesstimate if a listing is bogus.

That website looks too clean and pro to be a real representation of that slime ball. The photos looked 'lifted' to me right off the bat.
The one in the lower left corner says 'Great communication'.......now THATS funny!
Seems like for the last couple years, he had ads ALL over Craigslist, even here locally. Must have had one person full time posting that shit and maintaining the listings as they got flagged. Lot of work in itself. The ads were written to sound local.

Justice dept. or attorney General in his state might give him a passing glance if they're directed to all the online complaints about him. Maybe Karma will hook him up with a Mack truck eventually.

Don't bother with the Better Business Bureau. A bunch of amateur mediators made up of retired people.
If this is not the way it is then prove it.

How is that piece of garbage still in business? Even yet how is he still breathing, you would figure by now he would have crossed the wrong person and ended up in the bottom of a lake.

guess he never tried to sell Hillary a bill of sale....G.

His frauds have gone nation wide. I see him posting machines on our local Craigs List showing his address as Omaha, NE but the links take you to his main web site, which doesn't show an address.

-Ron

I seem to recall suspicion that he finds machines for sale elsewhere, posts them on his own site with a markup, and if someone nibbles he hopes to buy from the actual owner. Perhaps in the OP's case the someone-else's-Logan was already sold so he had nothing to ship.

I've just been reading The Big Short about the subprime market collapse and Babin's a real piker compared to the money to be made with mortgage bonds, credit default swaps, collateralized debt obligations and other deals in imaginary merchandise.

Back