What's new
What's new

PayPal scam email alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1974

Diamond
OK, so I assume most here are savvy enough to not fall for this, but there appears to be a "new" PayPal scam email going out. It says something like "there has been suspicious activity on your account, please login and verify you are the owner of the credit card on file".

I have received this email 3 or 4 times now in the past few months, I went to my PayPal account (front door, NOT thru the email link!), had an old card (deleted/canceled from years ago), went into settings and removed it, so NO cards on file. But I still get the emails. Just a heads up if anyone else is seeing these emails...

OK, so I assume most here are savvy enough to not fall for this, but there appears to be a "new" PayPal scam email going out. It says something like "there has been suspicious activity on your account, please login and verify you are the owner of the credit card on file".

I have received this email 3 or 4 times now in the past few months, I went to my PayPal account (front door, NOT thru the email link!), had an old card (deleted/canceled from years ago), went into settings and removed it, so NO cards on file. But I still get the emails. Just a heads up if anyone else is seeing these emails...

Code in "hosts.c", Exim MTA, tends to refuse even the initial connection to the MTA's submission port. The PTR RR doesn't reverse resolve to a proper match.

If your mailsrver lacks that strict BIND enforcement?

Check the IP's of a(ny) known-legitimate PayPal message with host <the IP> against the one from the spam.

"dig" will get you what they SHOULD be. Then you can see that filter step "manually".

Code in "hosts.c", Exim MTA, tends to refuse even the initial connection to the MTA's submission port. The PTR RR doesn't reverse resolve to a proper match.

If your mailsrver lacks that strict BIND enforcement?

Check the IP's of a(ny) known-legitimate PayPal message with host <the IP> against the one from the spam.

"dig" will get you what they SHOULD be. Then you can see that filter step "manually".
Here's an easy trick I've learned:

Many of these emails have a note saying "do not reply to this email blah blah blah"

I hit reply, and depending on the mail program your using, you can either see the senders true email address, or with my email program, outlook, i hit "edit recipients" and then it shows me the true email address it came from. The email address revealed is always something that has nothing to do with the company they claim to be.

Steve.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using Tapatalk

Many of these emails have a note saying "do not reply to this email blah blah blah"

I hit reply, and depending on the mail program your using, you can either see the senders true email address, or with my email program, outlook, i hit "edit recipients" and then it shows me the true email address it came from. The email address revealed is always something that has nothing to do with the company they claim to be.

Steve.

My email also shows the sender. In this case, they were all some gibberish of letters and numbers, usually quite long, so I knew immediately it wasn't PayPal, just a heads up for anyone that may not be quite as "wary" ...

When replacing the oil filter on your car/truck, put a little oil on the gasket before you thread it on. This will help it seal, and will make it easier to remove next time.

Steve.

"View source" is what REALLY tears the lid off the average incoming can of worms.

Daunting if you are not used to it. Key info isn't that hard to learn to recognize.

Some are soo carelessly crafted there is a known malware file showing right IN it!

Google that, up cometh the ID, nature of the attack and all.

Sorry, I thought this was a thread for "useful tips" that every human being alive already knows.

Proved there had been at least one in Houston who couldn't tell the difference between an email scam and a dry oil filter seat?

Might want to take the easy comparisons first and work yer way up?

How about differentiating between a bicycle and a thunderstorm?

:D

Last edited:
The thing is....this particular scam has been around for ages. And it's a version of scam that has many mutations and they've also been around forever.

So warning people about it to be helpful is nice...but it's on par with warning someone they should be sure to roll up their car windows when they think it might rain. It's 50% nice and 50% Chicken Soup for the Soul.

ANYBODY... can get careless or distracted and think:

"Oh, that's <trusted> <so and so>.

WTF, there are still people running WINDOWS. On-purpose!

The thing is....this particular scam has been around for ages. And it's a version of scam that has many mutations and they've also been around forever.

So warning people about it to be helpful is nice...but it's on par with warning someone they should be sure to roll up their car windows when they think it might rain. It's 50% nice and 50% Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Well, it is what it is. You are right Greg, been around in some version or another since the birth of email likely, but it's easy to see the bold text "your credit card may be compromised" or whatever and have a mini panic attack and unthinkingly click the link.

Hell, I checked my account when I first got it, but not thru the email link...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back