What's new
What's new

PDQ Marlin Quick Change Question

JHopkins

Plastic
I recently bought a small, old, mill, which came with an R-8 PDQ holder/adapter and a small set of tool holders. It took some searching to even find out what I have!

My simple question is, how do I remove the tool holder that's currently in the R8 adapter and replace it with another? I'm sure it will be "quick" once I know how. PDQ Marlin's site wasn't very helpful, but their products seem very nice. It seems like it should be just a friction fit, but if so I don't have the grip strength for it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

John

Thanks!

You need one of these (calipers for scale):

View attachment 263343

I think it's a standard hook wrench (McMaster McMaster-Carr ). If you want/need more toolholders PM me, I've got a fair number spare.

I turned out it was just a bit stuck. The wrench did come with, and I semi-accidentally discovered how the ring was threaded. The two holders I've swapped so far both need a sharp rap on the side to release from the taper. So now I know why the prior owner padded the wrench handle with a piece of old hose!

I'll almost certainly take you up on the offer of available tool holders as I start getting organized. I'll be in touch.

I turned out it was just a bit stuck. The wrench did come with, and I semi-accidentally discovered how the ring was threaded. The two holders I've swapped so far both need a sharp rap on the side to release from the taper. So now I know why the prior owner padded the wrench handle with a piece of old hose!

I'll almost certainly take you up on the offer of available tool holders as I start getting organized. I'll be in touch.

PDQ are a precise fit, everywhere. Look for impact burrs on the edges & corners from careless handling, stone any you find. Polish out any gummy skin-scum of corrosion - gently. Adjust to suit, and they should go together or separate slick and snappy.

Lovely bit of kit PDQ are.

If you look closely at my wrench you'll see a flat beat into the back of it. The PDQ VS taper needs a little love tap to break it loose from the holder.

Always leave a tool holder in the master so no one is tempted to take it for a spin. It can be a PITA to find the sweet spot later. Always clean the holder taper and the master when you're using it, even a small bit of swarf will knock it off - if the holder doesn't want to close there's likely some crud on it or the master.

I have additional R8 masters if you find yourself needing one.

Back