What's new
What's new

Pedestal Grinder Exhaust Ports?

Putch

Hot Rolled
unnamed.jpg

I have this grinder now in my little corner of the garage and don't wanna be blowing grit all over the place and I noticed the exhaust ports on the back. Looks like a big hose could be clamped on and I figured I'd point the hose into a bucket of water on the floor to keep the grit from getting everywhere. What was once hooked up to the backs of these types of grinders?

We had an under box that piped to a shop wide blower system. Your water bucket should work well with a little oil or Clorox to keep mosquitoes at bay. House drain pipe might burn through (I think not) and could run to a shop vac a distance away so to not catch fire.

Some grinders are hooked to (metal) dust collectors.

On my 8" grinder, I took some rectangular section galvanized drainpipe, made cutouts to fit the two exhaust ports, converted from there to a 3" metal hose, piped that to something like this (which catches the hot grit): Amazon.com - Fireplace Vacuum Attachment - Improvements - Household Vacuum Attachments

Whole thing hooks to a big vac. Use the same setup, different metal hoses, for dry grinding on my surface grinder.

Bottom line being that you'll catch more of the grit if you use a bit of vacuum, with something in between to catch most of it before it actually enters that vac.

Those ports are for connections to an exhaust system. Simply hooking hoses to them and pointing the hoses at a bucket of water will do something, but not much.

just make sure you got enough distance between the dust collector vacuum and the grinder. every year some places learn sparks hitting the vacuum filters that might also be full of wood and plastic dust burn quite well.
the grinder does generate some moving air and if pointed at bottom of a bucket, bigger stuff will settle out that is the principle of a cyclone separator, although a better cyclone separator is better designed than a 5 gallon plastic bucket
Cyclonic separation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My 10" Cincy Elec grinder sits on a bag house type dust collector. Works amazingly well. Very little grinding dust anywhere. The back ports are a little more effective than nothing, as they take the air swirled around by the boundary layer of the wheel and work like a very inefficient centrifugal fan, converting the rotation into linear travel. If you put a hose in the water, you will stagnate the air in the exhaust and the exhaust ports will not work at all. Big shop vac is the ticket, with a long hose.

At the museum, I had a shop vac die. Took the motor and fan off, mounted a PVC pipe fitting to it that would take a vac hose and essentially made a second filter out of it. If you wanted to pick up water or very fine dust (the type that often burns up the fan motor) you plugged your shop vac hose into the top of this unit and got a primary filtration before it hit the fan. (pun intended)

I do have a little shop vac sitting in the corner that I could plumb some lines to. Probably could just use metal hose 6 feet long then attach the shop vac hose to that

bjorn - thanks for the flex pipe idea. I did try to go to O'Reilly's site but it wouldn't load. I wouldn't give my business to those bastards anyway - one time I called to see if they carry motorcycle batteries and the dick on the other end just hung up!

Make an oil bath filter system filled with water maybe add coolant to prevent rust? Your shop vac filter will never get dirty or catch fire.

Here are 2 examples of how you could make exhaust tubes. PVC for one and old motorcycle headers for the other. At school our 2 rockwells go into boxes with paper -- like for the furnace -- filters. My black pipes go into a box with a filter cut to fit. The other drops into a bucket or the vacuum.

Attachments

• 100_2755b.jpg
    100_2755b.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 100_1673b.JPG
    100_1673b.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 774
One thing I might do if I ever get around to attaching a dust collector to mine would be to put a simple sliding sheet metal duct "blocker" of sorts on each side. That would effectively double the suction on each side as you would likely only use one wheel at a time.

Back