What's new
What's new

Knurl Cutting Tool

MiniMadSean

Plastic
Hi, new here!

I'm looking at making a knurl cutting tool for some oil caps I'm making in aluminium. I've based the design off of another diy tool I found on google
Cut_Knurler_0.jpg

Here's my design, I've incorporated a 25mmx25mm bar on the back so it can be mounted on the turret on our cnc lathe.

Knurl Cutting Tool v7.jpg

Now my main question is, what wheels do I need to produce a diamond knurl? I've been looking at some 15 degree 1mm pitch wheels from cutwel (I'm from the UK) Does it matter what wheel is mounted on top or bottom and what way they face as long as theyre opposite? As I've seen there's left hand and right hand wheels.

As far as setting the wheels up, again I'm gong to use the same method from the other diy one I found, where you make effectively a protractor gauge that goes between the 2 wheels, and put a bit of small rod in the side of the round bar and line it up with whatever degree is needed, and then do the same but opposite for the other wheel.

Cut_Knurler_Adj.jpg

I think I've covered all the topics I can think of so hopefully someone can shed some light if I'm on the right tracks or not!

Sean

This may not be much help, But I have taken a commercial Zeus cut knurl and made a ne shank for it to use on a gang tool lathe. The knurls I use are straight(no angle). The Zeus head may have different geometry than your set up and that may make the difference. One thing on mine is the spacing between the knurls is changed for different OD work.
Checked again the spacing between the shafts stays the same but the shafts are geared so they rotate at the same angle and that angle is what changes for different diameter of work.

I prefer scissor style knurls. There is no problems with deflection as one roller is on one side of the bar and the other roller is on the opposite side of the bar.Not so much of a problem in Aluminum, but harder materials they are the best. IMO

to get a diamond knurl you use straight wheels (at least I did). Here's one I made, did it as a build series in home shop machinist. I makes great knurls, single pass at speed. What makes this tool really nice to use the height adjustment and geared rotation of the arms....they can otherwise be a real pita get an even pattern with. Probably more than you were asking for, but that imo is what you want out of a cut knurling tool.

2JnCW1f.jpg

2Bbbt49.jpg

OS6sqNO.jpg

I built Michael's (McgGyver) design and can vouch for it. Only a slight mod for a QCTP so it added a dovetail and used the height adjust standard for tool posts. A good design and as usual, beautiful work.

I've based the design off of another diy tool I found on google
View attachment 270065

Looks similar to what I use. Once the tool is on center to the work I find it easy to adjust the angle of the wheels. Set one then tweak in the other one.

HARDINGE C30A KNURLING Tool H-388 - $149.99 | PicClick

Sometimes I insert a piece of tin between the tool shank and the allen screws to protect my pretty little tool.

This style will get you a straight knurl, which I prefer for better grip (old fingers). This is from a Guy Lautard design.
IMGW2172.jpg

This is how I sharpened the cutting edge, I used whatever angled knurl I happened to have. Not sure this would stand up to CNC pushing out work but likely good enough for testing the concept.
IMGW2173.jpg

Attachments

• IMGW2174.jpg
    IMGW2174.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Back