What's new
What's new

Petition Don for a new "material" for members - "Granite" to signify a passed member?

Milland

Diamond
Petition Don for a new "material" for members - "Granite" to signify a passed member?

Hi all,
In the thread https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-ish-adama-ok-370570/ there was a suggestion that a new class of "material" for members be created - Granite.

First suggested as a memorial aspect by Cole2534, then the actual Granite name from Cameraman, I think this is a fantastic way to indicate a passed member in a significant but subtle way that doesn't act as a "downer" the way a new "Memorial" forum might.

If you agree, please post here to second (third, forth, etc.) the idea. If enough people consider this a good way to pay respect and inform, we can ask Don about the possibility.

Agreed.

Further thoughts: since this would require direct intervention from an admin for each member, maybe we can get a link to an obituary (if available) added to the member's profile at the time of the title change?

Sounds fine to me, but it might not be feasible. It appears that the current 'material' classification is automatic, based purely on post count. Inserting something else into that field manually is likely not possible. It may be possible to add a notation to the user name, though, and that could include the year of passing. For instance, 'Gordon Heaton-passed 2025'. If that would update on all posts by the user.

Sounds fine to me, but it might not be feasible. It appears that the current 'material' classification is automatic, based purely on post count. Inserting something else into that field manually is likely not possible. It may be possible to add a notation to the user name, though, and that could include the year of passing. For instance, 'Gordon Heaton-passed 2025'. If that would update on all posts by the user.

Admin can make the name whatever he wants. On some forums you can make your own. Her could even make a specific user group for them.

This would certainly be a manual process and not intended for every member that passes, as such I feel the overall volume would be low enough to not be burdensome.

RJ Newbold is another that, IMO, would qualify for such status, as would Jim K.

Also, as per Don PM is an archive of knowledge. Seeing the status of Granite would be a bookmark of sorts, a reason to review the author's work and help proliferate the knowledge.

Granite or Marble if granite is taken. I think bronze is already taken.
bill D

Any volunteers for first?

What would bronze signify, an urn? (honest question)

I see granite or marble for a headstone.....

I think it is a nice gesture/thought. I don't think some of us realize that not only is this forum a wealth of knowledge, but for some of us a primary source of "connection" to others in the trades.

I'd be more worried that 'granite' would be awarded to posters with unusually hard heads. Don't
know anyone like that around here....

Six feet under?
Dirt nap?
Silent key?
Closed shop?

I must admit to wondering where some members "go" when they "disappear".

A simple sub forum perhaps entitled RIP so at least we know why and who are no longer with us.

It would have to be limited to a single post with the relevant information. If comments in the form of additional posts were allowed it could lose purpose.

I must admit to wondering where some members "go" when they "disappear".

A simple sub forum perhaps entitled RIP so at least we know why and who are no longer with us.

It would have to be limited to a single post with the relevant information. If comments in the form of additional posts were allowed it could lose purpose.

We could have both. The Granite material designation follows all posts the bearer made (and alerts people of the passing), while a specific forum would allow the listing of an obit, with remembrance and "thanks" comments from other members.

don't think a "material" is quite right.. hung up the apron..yea, an image is better. I know it doesn't work like that, but if a moderators input is required anyway..

don't think a "material" is quite right.. hung up the apron..yea, an image is better. I know it doesn't work like that, but if a moderators input is required anyway..

Granite seems perfect to me as it's a monument material, and has a permanent aspect that fits the role. We're trying to find a way to let people know when a member has passed on, but not in a blatant way. I think it's the subtle aspect that is nice, as opposed to something like "He's dead, Jim".

Granite seems perfect to me as it's a monument material, and has a permanent aspect that fits the role. We're trying to find a way to let people know when a member has passed on, but not in a blatant way. I think it's the subtle aspect that is nice, as opposed to something like "He's dead, Jim".

Only issue would be when newbies decide to repeatedly start threads asking what granite means, instead of doing any reading and/or critical thinking. Then we'd keep getting hit in the face with it anyway.

Only issue would be when newbies decide to repeatedly start threads asking what granite means, instead of doing any reading and/or critical thinking. Then we'd keep getting hit in the face with it anyway.

We'll have to deal with it, just like the desktop mini lathes and the like. I bet it won't come up too often.

Back