Petition Don for a new "material" for members - "Granite" to signify a passed member? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gone to the swarf bin in the sky? Fully annealed? Fully stress-relieved? A2? (as in air hardened - allowed to cool slowly) Dust (as in biblical dust to dust)? Or, if you prefer, Ash?

I may sound flip, but a way to note someone's passing is a good idea.

Bummer about Adama. A good 'un.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If somebody suggests the entirety of the MPFC "Norwegian Blue" skit as the material name, I'll be volunteering them to be the first recipient...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Mike1974;3452104]What would bronze signify, an urn? (honest question)

I see granite or marble for a headstone....
    .I was thinking bronze for memorial plaques by the road. and hardware on the casket. Do they still make solid bronze coffins?
    Bill D

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    We could have both. The Granite material designation follows all posts the bearer made (and alerts people of the passing), while a specific forum would allow the listing of an obit, with remembrance and "thanks" comments from other members.
    Both would be good. A single post in a RIP thread would fulfill the intent of letting us know who has "departed". Those wanting to add should do so in separate threads or an individual could get "lost" in the "crowd".

Milicron IMO handled it correctly in the Metrology forum with Leigh. Two threads but only one allowed posts with comments.

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We could have both. The Granite material designation follows all posts the bearer made (and alerts people of the passing), while a specific forum would allow the listing of an obit, with remembrance and "thanks" comments from other members.
    Sounds like a great idea.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Soo,when you have no one on this forum you know personally,,,how do you inform the masses that it is time for Granite ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Post #67 from the other thread:

I would say no status change without obituary.

Orbituarys are not common in Europe..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would limit this to members with a certain minimum posts and also when his passing is confirmed by at least 2 sources
    Those sources can be submitted by all members
    At best IMHO a single moderator must be in charge

Also there must be the possibillity for members to accept this feature
    Or being able to reject it

Next point would be
    Standard accepting the feature or rejecting it

Best way to handle this IMHO is to when a member reaches the # of posts needed for this feature to send him a message where he can accept or reject

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Soo,when you have no one on this forum you know personally,,,how do you inform the masses that it is time for Granite ??
    Well, one could put a little note in one's will stating that nobody gets any money until a notice is posted on their favorite forum about the "promotion".

In my case that wouldn't work, as I just plan on leaving debts behind...

10. Likes Demon73, camscan, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    I would limit this to members with a certain minimum posts and also when his passing is confirmed by at least 2 sources
    Those sources can be submitted by all members
    At best IMHO a single moderator must be in charge

Peter
    I tend to agree, although I think this will be self regulating. Those without a lot of messages or time on the forum probably won't think to post an "I'm outta here" notice or ask their family to do so.

And those of us at the Diamond level will think that letting those they've met and conversed with over the years know about their imminent trip to the recycler is important, and make arrangements to do so. Or it'll be through some detective work, as with Adama.

Edit: Your point about having an "opt in" box is an interesting one, might be a good way to have this happen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Granite seems perfect to me as it's a monument material, and has a permanent aspect that fits the role. We're trying to find a way to let people know when a member has passed on, but not in a blatant way. I think it's the subtle aspect that is nice, as opposed to something like "He's dead, Jim".
    The problem I see is with newcomers that cant seem to read any stickies or rules.

"Granite Deceased" you need to spell out the intention of the title.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Basic idea from Cole2534 and Cameraman, so blame, err, compliment them.
    Okay, okay, it's still a nice idea, even if it did come from the way-out contingent

The other nice thing about granite is its association with surface plates, which is kind of in the spirit of things ... and it's a lot more tasteful than a skull with a spear poking flaming eye sockets, which is what my Assistant would suggest. Chinese people are not always subtle ... altho if I croak suddenly, feel free to go with that

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems like a nice idea

one would want to be certain of course.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that Granite is most appropriate. I'd be happy to have that label applied when I depart.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Okay, okay, it's still a nice idea, even if it did come from the way-out contingent

The other nice thing about granite is its association with surface plates, which is kind of in the spirit of things … and it's a lot more tasteful than a skull with a spear poking flaming eye sockets, which is what my Assistant would suggest. Chinese people are not always subtle ... altho if I croak suddenly, feel free to go with that
    It's not a cameraman or cole or milland "thing" it's a "Human" thing / machinist thing YKWIM ?

That's what I was thinking re: "Granite" is that it is process/ machining related as in granite inspection plate. + granite-tombstone other than monumental granite. + other associations with granite and commemoration (such as the Vietnam wall etc. ) and many other commemorative monuments made of granite going back to the ancient Egyptians. But holding to the machining related material "Theme" that Cole2534 came up with and Milland ceased upon (in a good way). .

Without over thinking it/over 'splainin it;

Like a granite inspection plate you can "inspect" someone's posts that has "passed" but you can't interact with the person that made the post. [At least not on PM forum ; celebrity mediums and Ouija boards not withstanding. ].

Often a new poster will dig up a "Zombie thread" (unfortunate pun in this case) and even pose questions to someone that is deceased / passed. So at least four forum members will chime in and point out that some one has died. But at least with some sort of designation like "Granite" (or whatever) that can be more subtly [pointed out by a larger number of people "in the know". ].
    It also serves as a reasonably respectful "Mechanism" by which a contributor would be commemorated (without too much fuss etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps change the avatar in a tombstone with RIP on it

Peter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Perhaps change the avatar in a tombstone with RIP on it

Peter
    Valid idea (for sure).

I can think of a few forum members that have passed that had really good avatars distinct to them … Part of their personality / trade mark …

Would be a shame to trounce over that ? With a slightly hokey/ cartoonish image … Also visually on the page it would get a little "Heavy" if there is a really good discussion that goes on for several pages back and fourth ?

(maybe ?) .

I think Milland picked up on the idea of "Subtle"/reasonably dignified rather than whacking someone over the head with the idea that someone is dead (every other post) .

19. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I think Milland picked up on the idea of "Subtle"/reasonably dignified rather than whacking someone over the head with the idea that someone is dead (every other post) .
    Yes, an esoteric gesture rather than a billboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

The "whacking over the head" bit is how one becomes "granite".

Yes, subtle is an important part of this. I'll pose a scenario, set sometime in the future:

An entity brings up a page, and notes how many flaming skulls with bleeding eye sockets are appended to the names of posters from years back. "Humm", our intrepid new viewer says to its genderless self. "It wonders what that means?". It does a little digging and discovers that it means THEY'RE ALL DEAD!! DEAD I SAY! "Good non-denominational and fully inclusive Heavens", our new reader ponders, "It seem to have found a resting ground of dead machinists. Such a turn-off, It shall leave at once!".

Same scene, different presentation: A field of names with "Granite" below them, lending a pastoral, calming tone to the wise advise offered, such as "Stick it where the sun don't shine", and "That'll never work, moron!". Our new reader, thankfully unschooled in the genteel mannerisms of the early 21st Century, is unperturbed and continues to read on, gaining much wisdom from all that is viewed [beamed directly into the brain, mind you].

See? It's so much better to be mild and discreet in how this is done, rather than viewing something that looks like a Hell's Angels afterparty.

22. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The "whacking over the head" bit is how one becomes "granite".

Yes, subtle is an important part of this. I'll pose a scenario, set sometime in the future:

An entity brings up a page, and notes how many flaming skulls with bleeding eye sockets are appended to the names of posters from years back. "Humm", our intrepid new viewer says to its genderless self. "It wonders what that means?". It does a little digging and discovers that it means THEY'RE ALL DEAD!! DEAD I SAY! "Good non-denominational and fully inclusive Heavens", our new reader ponders, "It seem to have found a resting ground of dead machinists. Such a turn-off, It shall leave at once"

Same scene, different presentation: A field of names with "Granite" below them, lending a pastoral, calming tone to the wise advise offered, such as "Stick it where the sun don't shine", and "That'll never work, moron!". Our new reader, thankfully unschooled in the genteel mannerisms of the early 21st Century, is unperturbed and continues to read on, gaining much wisdom from all that is viewed [beamed directly into the brain, mind you].

See? It's so much better to be mild and discreet in how this is done, rather than viewing something that looks like a Hell's Angels afterparty.
    I gotta admit that's a very good point...

I was thinking it's entirely possible that two deceased forum members would have such recorded "interchanges" such as you describe lol.

But ultimately like death and taxes...

To "US" the internet is fairly new, but ultimately 50 or 100 years from now a lot of us will be dead* / long dead but the interwebs will still be chugging along.

"Problems " with new machines in the CNC section will become issues more relevant to "Antique machinery" eventually, or how many "New" ways are there really to cut cast iron ? (Although Fanuc may not have changed that much in the intervening period .).

PM forum will still probably be here... (Hopefully).

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

* I gotta admit (also) that there were a few machinist I knew that were good friends and family members / inlaws that died that hardly a week goes by that I wish I couldn't ask them "How the hell did you do this ??? " or have taken more time out with their guidance to learn a more diverse set of techniques and skills. Damn and dang! (selfishly and foolishly). A lot of good stuff on PM forum in ALL sections pretty much going right back.