Petition Don for a new "material" for members - "Granite" to signify a passed member? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly. We're here now, but this forum is nearly twenty years old (well, around seventeen, I think), and with luck will go far longer. So a reader in 2045 will inevitably see a lot of postings from people no longer with us.

Whatever is done to signify a passed member should be subtle to avoid the "turn off" factor that could come with a page that's populated by ghosts. I think going Granite on the material would work without being a obvious negative, and once a new reader was on the forum for some time the context would be understood, but they'd already be hooked.

2. Likes cameraman, Cole2534, Eric M liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for whatever is decided by the powers that be. The idea and gesture is a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Exactly. We're here now, but this forum is nearly twenty years old (well, around seventeen, I think), and with luck will go far longer. So a reader in 2045 will inevitably see a lot of postings from people no longer with us.

Whatever is done to signify a passed member should be subtle to avoid the "turn off" factor that could come with a page that's populated by ghosts. I think going Granite on the material would work without being a obvious negative, and once a new reader was on the forum for some time the context would be understood, but they'd already be hooked.
    I'm with you,go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    Sounds fine to me, but it might not be feasible. It appears that the current 'material' classification is automatic, based purely on post count. Inserting something else into that field manually is likely not possible. It may be possible to add a notation to the user name, though, and that could include the year of passing. For instance, 'Gordon Heaton-passed 2025'. If that would update on all posts by the user.
    Right...automatic software..would require a hack probably beyond IT's expertise or time expenditure. Will mention other possibilities to IT.. I like the idea but execution may be tricky.

6. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All can be incorporated in the avatar
    That seems easy enough for me
    But hey Who am I

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm trained as an EMT. Now, my certs have lapsed, and I only used the EMT stuff once - stabilized a broken back at an accident with fatalities. As you might imagine, EMTs have acronyms containing what used to be called "black humor". (Reader: Can he even say that?). Stuff like FLK (funny looking kid). For example, PU (for paws up), WOMBAT (waste of money, brains, and time), and ITTR (inverse tooth to tattoo ratio).

Made me think of G code. So the avatar could say "Diamond - M02" (M02 is "end of program"). Or M112 (Emergency Stop).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has thought been given to the designation of members who have died or may have died some time ago? It sounds as though it might be a fair amount of work for someone to go back and identify/select/verify deceased members. The question is how far back in time to go with this, and who's going to do it.

I might add that I pay almost no attention, ever, to the material designations under posters' names. It tells me nothing and impresses me not at all that Peter from Holland is "diamond"-ranked. What does impress me and what I do look at is the fact that he has 5,753 posts, at least as of right now.

-Marty-

10. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    All can be incorporated in the avatar
    That seems easy enough for me
    But hey Who am I

Peter
    You are "Peter from Holland" with this cool and mysterious avatar

12. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Feldman View Post
    Has thought been given to the designation of members who have died or may have died some time ago? It sounds as though it might be a fair amount of work for someone to go back and identify/select/verify deceased members. The question is how far back in time to go with this, and who's going to do it.

I might add that I pay almost no attention, ever, to the material designations under posters' names. It tells me nothing and impresses me not at all that Peter from Holland is "diamond"-ranked. What does impress me and what I do look at is the fact that he has 5,753 posts, at least as of right now.

-Marty-
    So you are saying the material designation is redundant in respect of the number of posts counts (kind of thing) and maybe the "data field" for the "Materials" could be put better use ?

On some other forums that data space for "Seniority" gets used in some really bizarre and almost insulting ways lol.

The 'Plastic" designation is really interesting.

The Movie The Graduate ~ "The future is in plastics",

and now the material is almost a pariah with drinking straws turtles and entire ecosystems - good for metal working industry. [Kinda OT but an indication how "pejorative" labels become embraced and "owned" and vice versa.].

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    So you are saying the material designation is redundant in respect of the number of posts counts...
    Yeah - post counts are data, and at least for me say all there is to say about past participation.

-Marty-
    Last edited by Marty Feldman; 12-06-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Add a new title, "Life Member, Emeritus"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Right...automatic software..would require a hack probably beyond IT's expertise or time expenditure. Will mention other possibilities to IT.. I like the idea but execution may be tricky.
    Dumb thinkin' here ...

Would it be possible to invert the post count of the member in question, which could then be used to trigger the "Granite" status?
    IOW if the post count is negative, then status changes to Granite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aluminum to Granite in one big step... yikes, don’t want that one ;-)

Folks do “live on” through their contributions and that’s still a somewhat unprecedented phenomenon. Loosing internet friends is very real. I like the idea of some kind of commemorative note. I don’t see where it would be creepy, I see it as people continuing to be part of the community, passing on knowledge and insight past their years. I feel lucky to be able to tap into such a wealth of knowledge and advice. I do so often without increasing my post count as so much is already here. There is so much art to being a machinist and there is no doubt many skills are lost to machine improvements and will continue. Passing along experience in the way that happens on this site and others is a resource that I hope never goes “POOF”.

18. Likes Cole2534, Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only realized the other day that the archived section is still active. I thought it was locked and never changed. I still find information there but I now see people posting new posts onto an old existing thread.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Milacron,
    Some of the things suggested here have been done on other forums. There might be clues on how they did it by viewing the source on web pages.

Krag sporter project? - The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com

On this example there is a note that Michael Petrov is deceased. I think that note appears on every old post that Michael made. If there are clues in the source as to how it is done, copying the wheel is easier than reinventing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any suggestions on how to tell relatives what forums I frequent and how to let those forums know that I have died? Most of us wait until it is too late for us to send those emails.
    I did make a point of going in and telling my Dad's barber that he had passed. He said many long term customers just stop coming and he never knows for sure. Most such customers he only knows their first name, if that.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Any suggestions on how to tell relatives what forums I frequent and how to let those forums know that I have died? Most of us wait until it is too late for us to send those emails.
    I did make a point of going in and telling my Dad's barber that he had passed. He said many long term customers just stop coming and he never knows for sure. Most such customers he only knows their first name, if that.
    Bill D

I keep a list, with usernames and passwords, and my girlfriend knows where it is.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I keep a list, with usernames and passwords, and my girlfriend knows where it is.
    You want to stay on the good side of that girlfriend

24. Likes Billtodd, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    Valid idea (for sure).

I can think of a few forum members that have passed that had really good avatars distinct to them … Part of their personality / trade mark …

Would be a shame to trounce over that ?.....
    A RIP and maybe year overlay on a avatar?
    Gets the system out of fiddle farting with the auto-update on post counts, still holds the picture and legacy while letting others know.
    Bob

26. Likes NC Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You want to stay on the good side of that girlfriend
    She doesn't know where all the bodies are.

(And I pay all the bills )

28. Likes Booze Daily liked this post