What's new
What's new

Pexto finger brake fingers

Just got a 24" pexto finger brake. In very nice shape.
Except, no fingers. No problem I'll make them. Does anyone know what they are made of? I would think cold finish 1018 would be OK. A 1 1/4" x 4 1/2" x 24" 1018 is 233.00 from Alro Metals Seems a bit high to me

I made mine out of 4140 pre hard. Get a piece 1 1/4 x 8. Machine the back of the finger on each side then slice it at a 45 down the center to get two pieces. Keep one as a single 24” piece and chop the other piece into fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re lacking the entire set you’re probably best off buying them. Pexto is VERY proud of their parts, but they will sell you fingers. I agree that 1018 probably isn’t hard enough.
I’ve had luck buying individual fingers off eBay.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

If you’re lacking the entire set you’re probably best off buying them. Pexto is VERY proud of their parts, but they will sell you fingers. I agree that 1018 probably isn’t hard enough.
I’ve had luck buying individual fingers off eBay.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Pexto prices
4.5" finger 284.00
3.0" finger 219.00
1.5" finger 152.00
.75" finger 140.00

To fill a 24" brake you would probably buy 2 4.5", 3 3.0", 3 1.5", and 2 .75". for a total of only 1961.00, not a chance in hell that's happening.

Sorry.

I need to proofread better. I meant to say if you need the full set you’re probably best building them.

I’ve got the 36” version of the same machine. I bought it missing a COUPLE of fingers and found those on eBay. They weren’t cheap and I’ve often considered making more instead of buying them in the future.

I’d use 4140 PH or similar.

I’ve got 6 6” dies, some combination of which spent the most time in the brake. I think I’ve got 2 4 1/2” and 2 3” and maybe the 1 1/4”(?). The 3/4” seems pretty worthless.

Point of saying is, in my opinion, if you’re gonna make your own dies, bias to the long side. I would make more than just what will fit the 24” opening at one time. Once the rough shape is there, in pieces long enough to cut OUT OF, you can always make filler teeth as you need them. I would love to have one 36” or 2 18” dies and another 2 or 3 linear feet ready to go.

Obviously that all depends on ability and equipment, but I would recommend buying 10 or so feet of material and cut, grind, mill the longest pieces you can accurately enough.

Sorry for the confusion

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Could you find someone to burn them out of 3" plate? Then just finish the critical dimensions. If you wanted tough AR400 would work but it would be a fight to mill finish dimensions.

I'm with the guys who say pre-hard. I'd even want to go a little harder than the low 30's of 4140, if I could find some offcuts of a mold steel in the 40's that's what I'd use.

You do understand this is a hand brake, don't you?

Even more reason to err on the side of harder than softer... that way you don’t get a divot when someone tries to bend something drastically outside the machines limits. 3” of 11ga stainless or something. Trust me... it happens a lot more often than I’d like to admit. Plus, the cost for the OP is gonna be in shop hours making the pieces, not so much in material. Part of the reason I recommend making several linear feet of die stock instead of just enough to fit assembled under the beam. Once the “thinking work” gets done the rest should just be babysitting a mill or grinder.

At the same time, these are on eBay right now:

1155ec8e49e44fe64c79093ae59143db.jpg

I just searched for “Pexto”. If you can get this set for around $300 that’s your best bet.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Even more reason to err on the side of harder than softer... that way you don’t get a divot when someone tries to bend something drastically outside the machines limits. 3” of 11ga stainless or something. Trust me... it happens a lot more often than I’d like to admit.

Unless it's under lock and key sooner or later someone will bend a piece of 1/4" rod with it. Like happened to my 8' brake.
Almost every used brake I've seen has evidence of that, that's why I bought a new one :willy_nilly:

Back