What's new
What's new

pic of job cutting a cable drum

j king

Stainless
Took this for my collection and figured I would share as some like to see this stuff.
This is a overhead crane drum for a steel mill.It has 1 3/8 grooves.43.5 right and left hand grooves.Rt. side finished and was cutting the left hand end.

tools019.jpg

Very, very cool. How big are the chips coming off of that lathe? Any pics of those?

I always loved watching those huge machines run, simply amazing how much material they can remove. What is the machining time on that threading operation?

Hey Mits.I dont know what was quoted but I have alot of time in it.I will need to add up time to see.I can take a pic of chips if they arent dumped yet.Some of them are balled up the size of a baseball and sound like it when they fall.

Jim

Sam.The quill is 17". We use lots of 4 jaws with a center plug installed to use on the tail center.This on is a 24".The part you are calling a faceplat is the rearfit for the drums drive gear.Of coarse it isnt machined yet.
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for posting the photo - I wonder, is the 4-jaw in the tailstock gripping the workpiece and rotating or is the centre plug you mentioned a parallel plug fitting into the bore of the workpiece (and rotating the 4-jaw), or ???

Is there a hole in the end of the shaft that prevents use of a normal live centre, or are there other good reasons for the set-up shown?

Are you machining that rope groove with a full form tool?

Thanks!

Peter.Yes it i chucked on the hub od.The drum gets a shaft thru it and it has a ruff bore in the ends.We chuck things rather than put plugs in them so we can move things around if things dont look like they will clean up.
I ruff out with an undersized button then finish with a full form tool for final passes.

Thanks guys.Glad you enjoy.

jim

Sorry to keep at it, Jim. Just friggin' amazed.
What radius tool? How deep groove?

The time thing is a curiosity as well, but I'd be more interested in the time on that 12' long bore you did.
Sam

Very nice, I know of a 310 Ton crane at a steel mill that has an identical looking drum with the LH RH combo cable threads. J, your always turning something big and I enjoy seeing it.

Nice looking job. Who built that lathe? Swing, length... etc etc???

Is the thread form one starting with L...
I got halfhimers, and CRS..Cant Remember Stuff....

Sam. 11/16 radius .625 deep.I guess it is about 60 hrs to groove and cap.There is 1480 feet of grooves plus in and out wraps.This is cut with tool steel buttons.Approx cutting speeds go from 15 rpm starting to 2 rpms for a smooth finish.

Thanks Gary. Its a Niles.Swings 86" over bed. 68" over crossslide.I believe 38 ft centers.Dual carriages.

"Is the thread form one starting with L... "
???
Dont know what your asking Gary.I have CRS really bad lately.Has me worried.Serious.

lol you too???

Well... we know Acme....Buttress...etc and then there's L..... I forgit the rest of the letters.

Is it CNC?... cant see handwheels...
HP?... 100 or so??

Ok.. I looked it up.. I was thinking of "Lowenherz"... and the o is sposed to have 2 dots above it... and IT's NOT your thread... so letz fugadaboudit.. LOL

Its R. Gary. (sounds good anyway)It is a radius.

"Is it CNC?... cant see handwheels... "

LOL..No Gary its manual.Last time I left a handle on it someone said it looked like a ship. Lol!
The crank handles are on the cross and compound.Look behind the chair leg for the compound crank.I dont have the ship steering one on it..It takes all my ass to feed into the part and the crank on there gives me more leverage.

I noticed that my head is blocking the chair.I see the round handle laying on the chair.

chair !!!
Sitting down on the job are we ;)

Alright for some ain't it ...get to do the job they like and sit down at the same time .

is it an earmuff job.

and do you get wet !

all the best..mark

all the best..mark

Ok... nice looking machine.... and job..

Niles always made big ... the largest Niles Verticle I saw had a 52 ft Dia table and the column height looked taller... huge machine. When they had larger than table size parts to bore, they mounted the part on the floor, mounted the column on the table, and the operator rode around inside the part. I dont want that job, sound to me like a job for a F18 pilot.

Back