What's new
What's new

Pickling and Oil question - extending shelf life of parts

BigChief

Plastic
Hello,

I've heard this term before... but I'm not sure if I can using it right. Pickled and Oiled

I am trying to find a way to extend shelf life on some steel flanges. Been having to change suppliers throughout covid and I finally found a reliable source, except their product is not coated and starts to develop scale sitting on my shelf within 1-2 months. (Im in south florida, humidity everywhere)

The flanges are 3/8" steel, about the size of the palm of your hand. I get about 500-800 at a time, hence my need to find an easy way to preserve them. I was hoping I could find some sort of spray or 5 gallon dip bucket... so I can coat them in batches of 25-50, then put them in a box and store them.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Josh

Right after I posted this... I found a similar post mentioning CRC SP250, I'm wondering if this might work?

I guess my real question is, what is the best idea for large volume of parts?

Thanks, Josh

Plenty of coatings that can be dipped or sprayed ....dipped is more EPA friendly.....depends on the end use ,and whether they are to be merchandised ,or used in bulk like weld flanges.

Most of them will end up being sold as-is (no welding). But about 20% end up being used in welded parts, so toxicity is a concern... although, its possible that I can just not coat them all and wire wheel some as needed <-- that is what I do now.

Dunk and go would be ideal. I appreciate the ideas.

Josh

Hello,

I've heard this term before... but I'm not sure if I can using it right. Pickled and Oiled

I am trying to find a way to extend shelf life on some steel flanges. Been having to change suppliers throughout covid and I finally found a reliable source, except their product is not coated and starts to develop scale sitting on my shelf within 1-2 months. (Im in south florida, humidity everywhere)

The flanges are 3/8" steel, about the size of the palm of your hand. I get about 500-800 at a time, hence my need to find an easy way to preserve them. I was hoping I could find some sort of spray or 5 gallon dip bucket... so I can coat them in batches of 25-50, then put them in a box and store them.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Josh

Try doing some research on lining your packaging with VCI bags.
Dont quote me on it, but I heard they can extend shelf life by a lot.

I talked to one of the techs with SterlingCool and their rust preventative oil is Called RP6. It's designed for your application.

Can you have the flanges cut from HRPO (Hot Roll Pickled and Oiled) stock? In my (limited) experience, HRPO is common up to 1/4. But some suppliers seem to have it in 3/8" and thicker. The laser shops like cutting HRPO because it is more uniform finish and cuts better.

Back