What's new
What's new

Pin cutoff machine

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, I am looking for a machine that lets me cut off up-to 3/8 dia material into lengths within +/- .01.

In the past ( distant past ) have seen quite a few of these little machines with a sliding saw head ( mostly abrasive ), stationary jaw and a movable stop on auctions.
Kinda old school, but now looking back they were the absolute ticket to what I'd like to have.

I'll be damned if I can find anything nowadays on the web, but willing to bet that they still exist.

What I need is a small little thing with a 4 or 6" blade to cut small stock into close enough lengths in qty's of 10 to 50 pieces per batch, and not have to re-work the ends.
Cut, into the tumbler, and done.

I do have a cutoff house near by that I use for larger qty's with very good results, so not really interested in an automated cold saw ( unless the price is right ).

As it is, I am using a Bubba modified sliding tile saw for the job without any real way of holding onto the stock, and the cutoff pieces are flying all over god's creation.
Not to mention the ungodly burrs on the slugs!

Do some of those old-time machines still exist?

Close, but not exactly.
That Gromax unit is designed to hold the workpiece in the vise and cut/trim it to a specific length. Accurately sizing and finishing the end at the same time.

Unfortunately, I can't see how it would work with a 12' bar being fed into it...

How clean do the ends have to be? Saw cut square or is sheared ok?
A rod parter will cut pretty clean but the end will be like a sheared plate. That may be too much for your ten thou tolerance though.

Circular or abrasive cut quality.
I do drill a few cross holes here or there and a few flats, otherwise the ends are left alone.
IOW just tumble and go on the cut ends.

Basically it's a mini abrasive chop saw with a rigid enough head.
I could link to some Chinese stuff, but I swear every time I look it up, Alibaba shows something different.
Here is a try: High Precision Cut-off Machine,Pin Cut Off & Grinding Machine Vec-3g Ejector Pin Cut-off Machine - Buy Cut Off Grinding Machine,Ejector Pin Cutting Machine,Ejector Pin Cut-off Machine Product on Alibaba.com

The black unit is a sliding head and looks to be just fine, except I'd rather not have one from these sources.

I got ripped off trying to buy through Alibaba a couple years ago. Never again. It's the same thing in every language, a few selfish jerks screw things up for everyone.

You never mentioned the material did you? It must not be hard or you'd need an abrasive saw. A cold saw is usually good for .010" tolerances.

I got ripped off trying to buy through Alibaba a couple years ago. Never again. It's the same thing in every language, a few selfish jerks screw things up for everyone.

You never mentioned the material did you? It must not be hard or you'd need an abrasive saw. A cold saw is usually good for .010" tolerances.

Material is typically SS, but sometimes 40+RC 4140 or through-hard pins that I cut into a specific length.
Also, the diameter can be as small as a 1/16 welding rod.
Cold saw could do some of it and I actually have one, but it is far slower than the abrasive and it is utterly useless on the really small stuff.

You know I also saw a small abrasive saw some company was selling, had like a 6" or 8" wheel. That was only a year ago or so.

Hah!!!
Were they selling it as their product, or something they did not need anymore?

In my case I'd like something in the range of a 4-6" blade as it will produce a much better finish.
Not to mention that the smaller blades are also narrower and create much less heat.

I currently use Random and Sait wheels, 4.5" dia. on the Bubba-rig.
Pretty good wear and re-sharp tendencies, very little - if any - heat discoloration, but the shitty spindle and pivot gives me headaches.

The one I saw was a table top size, and yeah, 6" would be more like the wheel size. I think it was in one of those slick engineering magazines they send out free.
I did a search and got nada. BUT! it would be easy to make one, an air die grinder and a small plate frame with a swing arm bearing welded to it. The abrasive discs I use in an angle grinder would do the trick. The floor models are too big and take too thick a disc, my angle grinder uses 1/32nd or 1/16" by 6" and come with a 5/8" hole.
I bet you could make one up in an afternoon.

No second operation! So these machines you saw will also deburr and perhaps chamfer the ends too? Or is a sharp edge with a burr OK for your use? I am just curious as to what is actually needed and possible here. I find it hard to imagine that either an abrasive disk or a cold saw could cut a variety of diameters and materials without leaving a burr on at least some of them.

Try looking for a used metallurgical cutoff saw. This type of saw is a fully enclosed wet cutoff saw with wheel diameters ranging from 10 to 14 inches. The saws are designed to use thin wheels to avoid heat damage to the metal samples.

The cabinet would need to have a hole cut in one side to allow for a bar feed. The length stop would also need to be extended through a hole on the opposite side of the cabinet.

Robert

Last edited:
I have that Wilton saw in my basement shop. It's not bad for the occasional cutting off that I need, but the vise seems like it would suck for the use you'd be putting it to. It shouldn't be hard to make or modify something better. The stop didn't come with mine and might be shop built. Mine came with a plastic tray to collect swarf and that promptly melted in places from the hot metal thrown off by the blade. Also, I'm not sure how it would hold up to continuous use - seems more designed for occasional use to me, but still much better than what shows up in Google for "mini cut off saw"..

Try looking for a used metallurgical cutoff saw. This type of saw is a fully enclosed wet cutoff saw with wheel diameters ranging from 10 to 14 inches. The saws are designed to use thin wheels to avoid heat damage to the metal samples.

The cabinet would need to have a hole cut in one side to allow for a bar feed. The length stop would also need to be extended through a hole on the opposite side of the cabinet.

Robert

Like this forsale in the past on PM

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-10-1010-precision-cutoff-saw-indiana-248755/

But you probably want one where the blade moves. not the material. This one moves the material. OK for short pieces, not so good for a 20' rod

Back