What's new
What's new

Pinging Thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody hear from him? Know how to get hold of him? Thanks to the bright spark that banned him we all lose his vast knowledge. Sure his convoluted writing style was sometimes a pita but overall he was an asset to this forum.

I've seen neither hide nor hair and don't have his personal email. I do wish he'd return.

He and I would have butted heads on concepts, but I did find him to be a general asset.

I'll send you his email in a PM.

Do you know if he's ok? Was he banned for a month, or longer? Seems it's been quite some time now. I enjoyed his posts, and also his humor. I had to spit coffee into my sleeve a couple times to avoid the computer screen.

Once someone gets banned they often do not return. Artdecomachine, smalltime, and thermite come to mind. Strangely there’s a few here that just seem to go on and on and on with no repercussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once someone gets banned they often do not return.

That is exactly the unfortunate situation that often occurs.

I now see a fair number of questions that don't get much of an answer, or only a brief answer. Where Thermite would have not only answered, he would have provided some alternatives and reasons for WHY, especially when the why was not so obvious. And often with twisted humor as a bonus.

That consideration of alternatives and whys caused others to share their experiences, even if only to disagree, so the loss is compounded.

I'm a newbie to machining, strictly amateur, but my schooling and career overlaps much of his off-machining discussions. They were uniformly accurate, informative, quirky, and a bit wordy. And enjoyable to me.

He doesn't show as banned anymore.

Well, nice one whoever decided to ban him. I just got an email from him. He has had enough and won't be back. As time goes by I find myself spending less time here as well. The old guys that I felt like I could learn from are dying, disappearing or now being banned and not returning. This is not a net gain for this forum.

Well, nice one whoever decided to ban him. I just got an email from him. He has had enough and won't be back. As time goes by I find myself spending less time here as well. The old guys that I felt like I could learn from are dying, disappearing or now being banned and not returning. This is not a net gain for this forum.

A while back there was an altercation of some sort between Richard and Thermite. It appears that it got a bit out of hand and Milacron stepped in and banned them both for a month. Evidently it was not the first time. It has been about 3 months now and I don't have more current status, but I miss his banter as well.

That's a shame. I know he could be annoying at times but he must have been one of the most knowledgable guys on this site. He must have led a very interesting life. This places is less interesting without him. If you're reading this Bill come on back, let bygones be bygones.

As he was an ex Vietnam vet I'm prepared to give him a bit more rope than most.

Regards Tyrone.

Your post is too depressing to give it a like, but I agree 100%.

The vast majority of complaints against Thermite always seem squarely aimed at his writing style, which is just petty. One more valuable member lost due to ignorant malcontents.

Looks like his last post was January 3rd?
I didn't see what went down but can only assume it happened in the Manufacturing in america and europe section?
Quite a few of us got permanently banned from there for being too right(in both sense of the word) I initially wasn't coming back either, don't think any of the others did, but then decided I wasn't gonna let that slide by, they're already getting away with way too much censorship everywhere of what hurts the little feelings/agenda.
Glad to see there's a new mod there now finally.

I think it was more to do with a schmozzle with Rich King regarding scraping on the re-building site. They both got some time in the slammer so to speak.

I don't blame the mods for that, it was all getting a bit tedious and leading to the non combatants in the issue walking away.

I understand it if people want to walk away. I was on a Watch Owners site, mainly for owners in the USA. Most of them seemed to have more money than taste. A guy came on who'd bought a brand new watch. He puts some photo's up. " What do we think of the new watch ? "

Somebody asks me a question they'll get an answer. I told the guy " I don't like blue faced watches, the dial is too cluttered and Roman Numerals are not my style ".

Later on the moderater gets back to me ? " Why am I spoiling the guys enjoyment of his new watch ? Couldn't I be less negative about his pride and joy ? "

That was enough for me, bullshitting people isn't my style at all, so I've never been back.

Regards Tyrone.

Anybody hear from him? Know how to get hold of him? Thanks to the bright spark that banned him we all lose his vast knowledge. Sure his convoluted writing style was sometimes a pita but overall he was an asset to this forum.

Hold on a minute. He "got in trouble" so now he's taking his toys and going home, is that it? :rolleyes5:

I don't know what happened between him and Rich, but Rich is back.

Companies and online forums both have a 'culture', made and comprised by the people. It usually takes a long time - often many years - for the culture to form. It is a treat to work in a place with a good culture. I'm not talking about some BS out of an HR manual.

But that culture can be destroyed amazingly quickly. Most of us with some decades of life experience have seen it. And when that happens, people often leave in droves. Once lost, getting it back can be very difficult.

Hold on a minute. He "got in trouble" so now he's taking his toys and going home, is that it? :rolleyes5:

I don't know what happened between him and Rich, but Rich is back.

Cockroaches come back too. I'll guess it was the little "bitchie Ritchie" thing. When you beg for it then be man enough to take it. Rich dangles all these strings out there . Can't blame Thermite for pulling one.
C

There were definitely days that I could not navigate his prose, but like you, I miss the experience and the exchange of ideas.

There were definitely days that I could not navigate his prose, but like you, I miss the experience and the exchange of ideas.

I think he had "too" much time on his hands and put ALL his effort into providing "good" solid info mixed with attempted humor. His writing style was interesting.

Give him time, I am sure he will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back