Pinging Thermite - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1168
    Likes (Received)
    2393

    Default

    Absolutely no one Person, Place or Situation is to blame. Who cares? Bill is divisive and clever, a trixter in true regalia. (that would be a compliment, for those that have selective reading). Bill is not some kid that needs to be coddled, if he chooses not to return, so be it. He's old anyway!! (that was a joke, for those that hate funny things).

    Bill and I have gone a round or two. More specifically Monarchist. But I like and appreciate him. Sometimes our PC-ness is too much to bare. (also a joke). A few of the members I know have been very close to leaving. But it's because of being harped on about having a unique personality. In Ireland it isn't shitty to be shitty. In US it is shitty to be shitty. Different people, different personalities.

    R

  2. Likes TeachMePlease, Demon73, Derek Smalls liked this post
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sacramento County, California
    Posts
    3,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2323
    Likes (Received)
    1252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Hold on a minute. He "got in trouble" so now he's taking his toys and going home, is that it?

    I don't know what happened between him and Rich, but Rich is back.
    Whether you liked him or not he was one of the smartest people on this site. I shall miss his writing style.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    I bet he is lurking here somewhere under another name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Just one? I'm thinking a dozen or better. For the record i would certainly like to see him return as thermite. He could yank a chain or two.
    That explains where all the posts in his defense are coming from.

  5. Likes rbdjr59, James H Clark liked this post
  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1722
    Likes (Received)
    2040

    Default

    Late night after a few drinks,I understood Bill

  7. Likes johansen, TeachMePlease, pressbrake1 liked this post
  8. #45
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7723
    Likes (Received)
    5149

    Default

    I once ragged him for writing like Robert Heinlein on crack. Since the comment assumed he would recognize the reference it wasn't derogatory.

  9. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
  10. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio USA
    Posts
    3,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    70
    Likes (Received)
    1701

    Default

    If someone starts writing sentences that start with "Else," you'll know he's around.

  11. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    214
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    If someone starts writing sentences that start with "Else," you'll know he's around.
    I've got a couple i suspect as it stands..... might turn into finding Waldo.

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    In Ireland it isn't shitty to be shitty. In US it is shitty to be shitty.

    R
    WTF? Examples please.

  13. Likes Greg White liked this post
  14. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    150
    Likes (Received)
    1464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmead View Post
    WTF? Examples please.
    YouTube

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Well, nice one whoever decided to ban him. I just got an email from him. He has had enough and won't be back. As time goes by I find myself spending less time here as well. The old guys that I felt like I could learn from are dying, disappearing or now being banned and not returning. This is not a net gain for this forum.
    That's terrible! I sure wish I lived next door to him....would be a lot of educating fun. What a shame.

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1168
    Likes (Received)
    2393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    I literally could not have done that better.

  17. Likes kustomizingkid, Oldwrench liked this post
  18. #52
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Walla Walla Wine and Wild Turkey
    Posts
    4,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    252

    Default

    The Termite is or was a tech writer, so he said.
    I dont want to even go into the nasty stuff he is capable of, with his multi IDs...on and off line!
    What he was concealing is, he has never worked as a machinist! So, he made up stories about running a 50" Niles lathe, and other nonsense such as his Monarchist crap.
    He actually bullied off the tech from Monarch lathes from the forum with his hundreds of post about his put together concoction of junk to replace the drive system in the Monarch EE lathe, that went on for years until he realized it wouldn't work because he never had run one of those lathes.
    I think it would be great to be a tech writer, its pretty hard work to be a machinist.

  19. Likes James H Clark liked this post
  20. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    st,louis mo
    Posts
    656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    341

    Default

    I don't know any FACTS about this thermite guy. MY OPINION IS ,he reads everything and retains it.He appears to have done EVERYTHING. If you ask a question about the main bearing on an Allison engine,he will explain what type of tool steel he ordered for the forging dies that made the crankshaft.Edwin Dirnbeck

  21. Likes atomarc, DrHook, Mud, cranium, bigyogi liked this post
  22. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    1,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    375
    Likes (Received)
    520

    Default

    I think a 30 day ban is too long. At that point people have moved on and don't come back. In this case he was posting so frequently that a 24 hour or 48 hour ban might have gotten the point across.

  23. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Geilenkirchen, Germany
    Posts
    2,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1390
    Likes (Received)
    1189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcphearson View Post
    Enough of what?
    My guess? Bull shit from Richard and others that do not appreciate his position. It's just a guess.....

  24. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1014
    Likes (Received)
    907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    My guess? Bull shit from Richard and others that do not appreciate his position. It's just a guess.....
    Thermite was quite concerned about RK's mental well being at one time. Whereas I don't think anybody else was.

    So after the ban we get RK back but no Thermite? What was the point? RK will likely continue to derail threads, and we don't get Thermite's wisdom anymore. Some people here may appreciate that, but I don't.

  25. #57
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7723
    Likes (Received)
    5149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    ...What he was concealing is, he has never worked as a machinist!
    The above applies to at least one member with a near-zillion post count who poses as a machinist and shop owner while ranting about imagined slights to la raza. They don't ban people for that, more's the pity.

    Thermite, like my father, spent a significant part of his career analyzing things he wasn't allowed to talk about (whence the term "tech writer") and that probably has something to do with his highly elliptical style of communication. People in that line of work tend to be knowledgeable in a great many subjects, because among other things they have to be able to recognize and identify specific objects of all types. Because they can't talk about work, they get heavily into hobbies as a mental safety valve. That's my take on Thermite.

    As for using aliases on PM, I joined in '02 and my handle was UsedMachine. The reason I became Oldwrench is simply that I was gone for long enough that I forgot my original screen name and password. It sure wasn't because I pissed somebody off, because that doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by Oldwrench; 03-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.

  26. Likes SND, Newman109 liked this post
  27. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    891
    Likes (Received)
    146

    Default

    Always enjoyed Thermite/Monarchist's replies and appreciated his commitment to the forum. Caught myself thinking more than a few times how much I'd enjoy hearing his (and multiple others on the forum...would make a cool book) story from the beginning. I'm hoping he comes back. If not, thanks Bill.

  28. Likes Newman109 liked this post
  29. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    10,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    5695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    The above applies to at least one member with a near-zillion post count who poses as a machinist and shop owner while ranting about imagined slights to la raza. They don't ban people for that, more's the pity.

    Thermite, like my father, spent a significant part of his career analyzing things he can't talk about (whence the term "tech writer") and that probably has something to do with his highly elliptical style of communication. People in that line of work tend to be knowledgeable in a great many subjects, because among other things they have to be able to recognize and identify specific objects of all types. Because they can't talk about work, they get heavily into hobbies as a mental safety valve. That's my take on Thermite.

    As for using aliases on PM, I joined in '02 and my handle was UsedMachine. The reason I became Oldwrench is simply that I was gone for long enough that I forgot my original screen name and password. It sure wasn't because I pissed somebody off, because that doesn't bother me.
    ...never claimed to own a shop...
    ...never hide the fact I’m a hobbiest either...

    What’s your point.

    Fact is he got in a pissing match with a serious technical poster.
    Brought personal issues into a technical thread.

    There’s a sub forum for that...
    For a while a poster was following my posts all over the site and pooping in technical threads. Don’t miss him either.



    As you note, some people get into hobbies as a safety valve.

  30. Likes James H Clark liked this post
  31. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    He got that right


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •