What's new
What's new

OT- Old German toolmakers

John in CA

Hot Rolled
I've heard several stories both here and from friends in the trade that mention an old German toolmaker they used to work with. Enough times that it made me wonder, did our government at one time have some sort of a recruitment program for machinists from Germany and eastern Europe? The timelines of most of these stories I refer to fall somewhere in the 1950's - 60's; was there possibly a large influx of German immigrants after WW2?
One friend of mine loves to tell the story of the Polish toolmaker he apprenticed under. Hard-nosed old fella; when he (the Polish guy) was coming up in the trade, the old guys in his shop made him prove his dedication by giving him a block of tool steel and a file, and when he had filed the block down to nothing they told him they would invest some time in teaching him. All this was to be done, of course, on his own time after he had finished his day of sweeping chips. I couldn't help but wonder if they were at least nice enough to give him a good coarse file.

I don't know what they do now but, one of my tasks in school was filing a block square. That was one of the basics of learning bench work. This was in the L.A. area circa the early 1970's There were a lot of skilled craftsmen that came to the U.S. in the early 1950's from Europe. It wasn't a recruitment but if you had certain skills you got the fast track to a visa.

Steve

filing the block is a German apprenticeship step. I was watching (sorry but can't remember the specifics now) a program on disco, or nat geo, or pbs, about apprentices in Germany several years ago, and the first 6 months of the apprenticeship is spent at a bench filing. first an oblong (square, flat and true), then take the oblong and file it into a square cube, then file it down into a triangle, IIRC then an egg shape or similar round.
One company I worked for was founded by an ex-SS officer (you wanna talk about a weird place to work???). Lots is mentioned in the history books about the German rocket scientist recruiting that happened after the war, but not much is mentioned about recruiting the skilled tradesmen that were recruited as well (granted it wasn't a HUGE recruiting effort, and I wouldn't know where to begin looking for exact numbers, if they are even available). Beyond that, I was reading a book about German POW's of the allies, and more than a few decided they wanted to emigrate after they had been in close proximity to the Amer/Brit troops guarding them, and being exposed to the American way of life- especially the German troops that were held CONUS.

As a teenager & into my undergraduate years I worked summers & part time in machine shops & a brewery. Stories of what I experienced & learned along the way have been related by me on the Antique Board. Since the subject of German immigrant toolmakers is raised here, I'll relate a few tales of my own.

At the age of 14 I was attending Brooklyn Technical High School. I had always had an interest in machinery, wanting to be a machinist as well as a mechanical engineer. After my first machine shop courses, I thought I knew somethng & wanted to work in a machine shop that summer. You had to be 18 years old. It was before phot ID, so I used India ink & the photcopier at the public library to fix my birth certificate. I went to Long Island City, Queens. There were plenty of shops. No one wanted a skinny kid. I walked miles, finally found this one machine shop in an odd location. I looked in the door & saw this oldtimer with wild white hair, beard stubble & a toolmakers apron on. He was using a Rockwell hardness tester & caught my eye. "Was willst du hier haben, junge ?" (what do you want here, young fellow ?) he hollerd. Knowing Yiddish from home (a kind of German based dialect), I understood, so hollered back: "Arbeit" (work). "Kommen Sie herein, Junge". I came in, the man looked me up & down & said "Morgen, sieben uhr". That was it- be there the next morning at 7. No idea of each other's names or anything else.

I started in that machine shop & was put to jobs like deburring thousands of bushings with a little 3-corner scraper. I learned to use the 3-corner scraper, so they put me on a gang drill with a jig, a box of parts & some small diameter bits. Then, they put me on a B & S Hand screw machine. I leanred to do simple setups. Jobs that were repetitive, boring yet took some skill seemed the norm. The foreman rang a bell in the morning to turn on the power to the lineshafting, blew an air whistle to end work & rang a gong to resume work. Morning had a coffee break & afternoon we each got a quart of beer.

After some time, I had picked up a fair amount of German, building off Yiddish I knew. The shop steward came over to me and asked me what part of Germany my people were from. No one could figure my accent. The steward was a kindly man, so told him the truth. No German ancestry, as a Jewish kid I knew some Yiddish. The steward laughed & hugged me, saying: "Du hast gut gemacht, Junge". I never heard another word about how I came to speaking German, kept learning & drinking beer with the older machinists.

One day, the following summer, I got sick of the BS jobs, wanting to work on an engine lathe. I asked the foreman. He glared with eyes like an oxyacetylene cutting torch. I may as well have asked to sleep with his daughter. He made remarks about Brooklyn tech boys thinkng they knew machne shop work, hollered to get back to work. Next morning, the foreman took me to the stock rack, telling me to cut off a piece of round cast iron bar with a hand hacksaw. I cut partway thru & when he was not looking, popped it off with a chisel.

The foreman took me to a bench. There were a few files, a hammer, cape chisel, combination square & vernier caliper. He told me he wanted me to make a cube, "zwo bis zwo bis zwo, ganz genau, ganz glatt und treu" ( 2 x 2 x 2, totally accurate, flat and true).

I chipped one face off roughly flat & filed it in. I worked at my cube, chipping & filing. The foreman kept popping up , calling me "Herr Meister" (master machinist) in a scornful way, wanting to know why I wasn;t done. Some few days later, I had my cube. I am guessing it was with about 0.005" , good for square , as flat as I could tell with the square blade. The foreman checked it on a surface plate with bluing, then put the mike to it. He made faces & muttered "Dass ist aber schlimm" (that is bad). He put the cube into his wood chest & found work for me to finish the day with.

Next morning, he took me to an old lineshaft driven engine lathe. A casting sat on a warehouse truck. He handed me the drawing & told me if I messed up that casting, he would break my a--, kick it up and down the street & see to it I never worked in a machine shop again. It was a faceplace setup job. The foreman made remarks about Brooklyn Tech boys using 3 jaw chucks & round stock. I got to work, using a chainfall & blocking to get the casting onto the lathe bed.

The shop steward & some of the other machinists did come round to help me get started. I machined the casting, having to break the setup and re-dog it in the process. It had ID's, OD's, depth & shoulder dimensions to machine. The foreman kept hollering at me , wanting to know why a "meister" like me was not done.

The casting was machned & the foreman & outside inspector came round to check it. They passed the job. The foreman & steward saw me the next day, shook my hand & told me I was moved up to starting journeyman's pay.

I worked on different jobs after that, often with old immigrant machinists. The foreman used to hand me his "Tabellenbuch fur das Metallgewerbe" (a machine shop handbook) he used as an apprentice in Germany in the 20's. Another guy would loan me his "Machinery's handbook". They'd hand me a drawing and a pad of paper. I'd sit at the bench figuring out coordinate dimensions from angular dimensions, figuring thread depths , gear data & fits. No calculators in those days, a slide rule, logarithms or longhand figuring depending on how close the numbers had to be.

I learned from those oldtimers. I went on to work in other shops & as an undergraduate, worked in the old Rehingold Brewery in Brooklyn, in the engineering department. The brewery may as well have been the Kaiser's Navy, afloat in Brooklyn in 1970. I got a good grounding in a lot of shop skills & much more.

I had been born with a disability (likely in the autistic spectrum) plus motor skill delays. The system didn;t do anything for kids with disabilities like mine back then. Bench work, filing & applying the mathematics to shopwork were some of the best therapy. I saw my hands begin to do what I wanted in a precise way, and then it became automatic. An acid test came as a machinist at a cancer research hospital in my junior year or college. I had to drill a small hole down the center of a piece of 1/16" diameter bronze rod, hiolding the drill in a "pin vise" in my fingers with the work in the collet of a small bench lathe. I then had to fit & solder a loop of 0.003" diameter music wire into the hole in the end of the rod to make surgical snares. I ruined alot of material & was going to be fired. Toolmakers tried to teach me how to feel & feed the small drill bit, how to fit & solder the music wire. After 3 days of frustration, my fine motor skills kicked in & my hands seemed to take on a life of their own. The toolmakers and foreman took me uop the street for beer after work & were genuinely happy for me.

OTOH, Mike Korol, the senior erector for Skinner Engine had a different story. Mike was born in New York City of Polish immigrant parents in 1917. His dad paid a German immigrant shop owner to get Mike started as an apprentice machinist in 1935 in NY City. The Germans int hat shop were quite sympatehtic to the Nazi government's policies in Germany. They rode Mike all over the shop about his being Polish, starting him at cleanign the toilets & sweeping the shop. Mike worked up, knowing he had to be the best and not give anyone cause to find fault with him. He said one of the worst days of his life in that shop was the day Hitler's armies invaded Poland. Mike bit his tongue & became a journeyman machinist & moved on, working at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard as a heavy machinist. He was there on 7th of December, 1941. Mike worked many years as a marine engineer, machinist & steam engine erector. He told me he learned the machinist trade, got a great education & learned the work ethic from those Germans. Beyond that, he said they were thrifty to a fault, hardnosed, bigotted & took little else from the experience.

I've got the first good micrometer I ever owned yet in my chest. The name of a toolmaker from the old Schrader plant in Brooklyn is engraved on the frame. I got the mike from a toolmaker named Heinz. Heinz took me under his wing one summer. Heinz was an immigrant German toolmaker trained at Deutsche Waffen und Munition Fabrik in the 1930's. Heinz took time to teach me & never came down on me like some of the other oldtimers. Heinz laughed at my making a cube , saying as apprentice, he had to file what amounted to a punch & die set with hex, triangle & square male/female parts. The test was how they fit together.

Knowing I needed a good mike, Heinz took a 1" mike out of his chest & sold it to me for a very few dollars. It was his first good mike when he started in the USA in Schrader's toolroom. He bought it from a guy who was retiring. We'd sit outside, eat our lunch & drink our beer. Heinz had lived through the 20's, 30's & WWII & it had quite an effect on him. He looked out for me & used to tell me all kinds of stuff, but mainly encouraged me, telling me to be an engineer, telling me I did not realize the great life I had & not to waste it. I have that mike some 40 years later & while Heinz's name is not on it, it his name & his hand on my shoulder that I recall when I hold that mike.

Maybe a different crowd of German immigrants and the passage of a decade mellowed things out for me when I came into the shops. They were tough on a kid, but I suppose within reasonable bounds. It made something of a machinist out of me & I took that with me as I became a mechanical engineer, combining the two in my career. I even took the "Bauerndeutsch" (farmer's German) I learned as a kid in the shops & used that on erecting jobs overseas. It's been a good run of 37 years so far & a great life. I think the oldtimers would be proud of me, but they are long gone.

Once upon a time, the U.S. had a coherent immigration policy. It was self serving, but what’s wrong with that? At the end of WWII, when there were millions of displaced persons in Europe (the true origin of the slur “DP” although it’s seldom heard anymore) the immigration interview went something like this:

“So, you’re a good Nazi, but you know how to make rockets? You’re in, but watch yourself.”

“So, you’re a skilled machinist, trained in all facets of metalworking? Glad to have you.”

“So, you don’t know how to do anything but make babies? Don’t let the door hit you in the ass.”

Nancy, you listening?

[FONT=&quot]Dennis[/FONT]

Joe, that's a really great story, I'd like to see an illustrated book about your experiences there.
I have a good friend up north, Ute Battin, who is a master jeweler. She came from East Germany in the late 50s. She told me that during her five year apprenticeship, she had learned how to run a lathe, mill, and weld, among other skills.
In order to learn one metal skill, you had to take the basics of every other one in the excellent state schools.

So she had valuable machinist skills to use in her husband's BSA Gold Star/Fraser Nash shop.

Interesting topic.

Zach

As usual Joe, you tell a great story! Thanks for sharing.

In the late 70’s to mid 80’s, I worked in Burbank CA at a mold shop that had a number of German and British and Swiss immigrants that were WW II veterans. Talk about a stressful workplace sometimes. You’d swear the war never ended for these guys. It was a great place to learn the basics but to be honest, the old school way of doing things sucked. It wasn’t until I left and went to work for a “modern” shop where the owners weren’t afraid to put money into machines and equipment did I realize how antiquated that place was. That place went out of business in the late 80’s without ever investing in modern CNC equipment. They had one but it was a tape driven POS that took days to program just simple routines.

My father was a machinist in the Navy during WW II and he said they had to learn how to file on a block of steel by making it square. I guess we all learn with the tools that are available at the time.

Joe’s message was posted between the time I read the thread and got around to posting my rather terse reply. Quite the story. I can’t think of a better fit for these lyrics written by Julie Gold:

My mother came to America
Sailed through the harbor of hopes and of dreams
Back in the Thirties
With the streets paved in gold
And the sky laced with moonbeams

Mothers and daughters, fathers and sons
Here in the free world, we're the lucky ones

Chorus:
All of my yearning
All of my hunger
Maybe I'm learning
Sometimes I wonder
Good night, New York

Before the Kennedys
Before the Beatles
Before the Vietnam War
Back to a time when anything was possible
Having less meant knowing more

Brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts
Here in the free world, for that second chance

(Chorus)

My mother came to America
Sailed through the harbor of hopes and of dreams
And here in the future
I hope I've not failed her
Cause nothing's the way that it seems

(Chorus)

[FONT=&quot]Dennis[/FONT]

"My father was a machinist in the Navy during WW II and he said they had to learn how to file on a block of steel by making it square. I guess we all learn with the tools that are available at the time."

There were a lot of very good machines available during WWII ( hell, half the world is still using them ), filing the block square had a lot to do with learning to look at your work in process and not be supprised by a bad part when you are finished, and a file gives you some up close and personal time with your block without havine a big machine tied up or in your way.

These stories have really inspired me. I'm toggling over right now to the McMaster Carr website and ordering me a square block. Then I'm going over to Rudy Lechner's for a bratwurst lunch.

My uncle Robert Wolfgang Schoenberg was one of those old German machinists. He died in the late 1970's but I remember some of his stories.

His family was from Berlin. They owned an electronics manufacturing firm there that had licensed some rights from RCA to manufacture radios. They also developed some commercial versions of cathode ray tubes. I think the company was called "Radiophone."

Robert's father was jewish, his mother was not. When the Nazis took over, they allowed the family to stay and continue producing radios, as the government wanted a radio in every home to listen to government, er, speeches.

In 1938 the family was allowed to leave with their lives, but not any property. By that time most of the world had closed it's borders to German Jewish immigrants, and the only place to go was Shanghai, which ended up hosting a fairly large community of European refugees. The family travelled from Berlin to Shanghai overland with only the property they could carry on their backs -- I don't know what route they took.

Robert arrived in Shanghai with his wife, daughter and mother just in time to be there when the city was captured by the Japanese. However, the Japanese did not share their German allies' feelings about Jews -- I guess they treated all foreigners the same. Robert learned some Chinese and was required to work as the manager of a captured Chinese chemical plant. He ended staying in Shanghai for 10 years -- 1938 to 1948. His wife met an American Army officer and left with him for California, taking their daughter with her, probably in 1945 or 1946.

By 1948 Robert had a visa for America, awarded because of his electrical engineering training. He was able to bring his mother with him. They settled in Waterbury, CT and married my mother's oldest sister. However, he discovered that during his 10 years in China, electrical engineering in the West had advanced too fast for him to catch up. He became a machinist at a Pratt Whitney plant in CT, machining jet turbine blades through the 50s and 60s. There was a small community of German machinists at that P & W plant, and sometimes they gathered at his house

Uncle Bobby was a true Berliner. He gave me my first glass of beer. Think I was 4 or 5 at the time. I didn't care for the taste, but I've learned to like it :)

Thank you very much for this Thread....

Some of these posts nearly bring tears to my eyes, as I did not get the very basic training discussed in here, nor the associations with these experts. I miss not having people like these to talk with.

My best regards,

Stan-

Not to hijack the thread, but the mention of Jewish refugees from Europe winding up in Shanghai brings to mind some a very old, well worn small German-English dictionary I have. We belong to a small Jewish congregation in Fleischmanns, NY. The original founders , back in 1910 or so, were Jewish immigrant farmers from Eastern Europe. As a result of events in Europe in the 30's and the resulting Holocaust, a new wave of immigrants arrived. These included a number of German and Hungarian Jews who also joined this congregation.

A few years back, it was not uncommon to hear German spoken by some of the congregants before or after services. A lot of interesting stories used to come out as we got to know some of the oldtimers. A common thread amongst the older men was that a knowledge of the metalworking trades kept them alive. Older men in the congregation who had received university educations and were going into business or "professional" careers would hear that I spoke German, was an engineer and a machinist. After services, we'd have some whisky, and these men would tell me how their families saw the handwriting on the wall and hustled to get them into apprenticeships or rapidly trained to be some kind of "mechanic"- whether it was a welder/fabricator, as a machinist or sheet metal worker, an auto mechanic, or something like it. These guys would ask me what I was working at, smile a bit and tell me what they had to learn in a hurry and how it kept them alive. Some had then emigrated from DP camps in Europe to Israel. Once again, their university degrees were of little or no use in a new nation. Instead, they found themselves using their skills with firearms to fight for the survival of Israel in 1948, and then their shop skills to build the new nation.

These same men would ask my son if he knew his way around the shop and if he knew how to handle firearms. We had taught our son to handle a rifle and shotgun early on, and this pleased those oldtimers no small amount. They had seen it all, and considered shop skills and the owning and handling of firearms to be something every Jew ought to be familiar with. Our son was 13, had no formal religious education and that oldtime congregation took him under their collective wing. They educated him in so much and gave him a sense of his people and his roots. I remember they taught him and then made him a Bar Mitzvah (the coming of age as a man), and it was simple and to the point. Not the big overdone insane events one noramlly associates with such things, just something very simple and basic that was tied solidly to the traditions and significance. Afterwards, we all gathered at the back of the old synagogue for traditional light snacks. The rabbi and the oldtimers got my son and me and asked if we'd have a drink with them. My son looked at me and while he'd had his beer with me for some years prior, drinking whisky with the oldtimers was something new. I told him to have a little whisky and take it slow. The oldtimers all raised their glasses with him, and our son joined the ranks so to speak. Our son carries a sense of his roots that is perhaps a bit stronger than most young people. He knows what shopwork is about and what it is to work. Like the oldtimers, he is getting a "University Education" and will likely become an attorney. But, he will bring an insight and compassion with him that not too many people have these days.

I've riddin to that old synagogue on my motorcycles many times, Initially, riding up to the synagouge on my old BMW motorcycle had my wife thinking I would open old wounds or at least have the congregants wondering who they had let in the door. Instead, that old motorcycle opened a whole new wave of kidding and stories from the oldtimers. Many had ridden motorcycles in Europe before WWII and I heard all kinds of interesting stories.

The oldtimers all had their stories about how they came to the USA. Some came by some very unusual routes, via countries which would accept them as refugees initially. This came to light for me during a rummage sale. I saw this small and very worn German-English dictionary. Picking it up, I opened the cover and saw Chinese characters on a label. With the Chinese was the name and address in English of the book-seller in Shanghai. Unfortunately, whomever had owned the little dictionary had not put their own name into it. I would have liked to have tracked down the owner or some relative of theirs and heard their story. Respecting the little dictionary if for nothing else than what it had been through, I bought it and keep it on my bookshelf.

I am 57 years of age, and as I look around, I realize I came in at the sunset of an era in the USA. It was the last years for the USA as a strong manufacturing nation and the last years for so much that we took for granted, even having machine shops around. I was able to learn from the oldtimers before they were gone, whether it was in the machine shops, the brewery, or even in our local congregation.

Joe, you lucky lucky dog. While you had it hard learning that way it was and still is the best way. If it's to easy it's not appreciated by the student. I had to learn on my own and it's the hardest way plus there was a lot I did not get exposed to from a master machinists mind and experience.

German machinists after WWII, think about it. The country is in shambles, manufacturing is destroyed, the cities are destroyed, there is little work. America calls and they came running, much to our delight and benifit. Yes, they were taskmasters but they produced good work and good students.

I'm genuinely jealous. When I was coming up in the trade I remember being given a print and being told here ya go have at it. I remember the one journeyman telling me that I was a waste of time and I was somebody else's problem. I would have understood his view point if I was cocky and had a chip on my shoulder but it was my first day and was shy and only got to the point of say "hi how you doing" It was to the point of when it was slow and I was sweeping floors he would make it a point of running his roll around right through every pile of chips I had carefully made out of the way and then give it a good kick just for good measure.

I would have loved to have a mentor. I have had a few guys willing to answer questions and that was it. If you want an actual practical understanding you'd have to pump the information out.

When I was learning to be a millwright my friend who got my in to the trade was my mentor. Rode me to no end constantly giving me grief about everything I did. Finally all said and done after 3 months of non stop harassment he stopped. I asked him what happened and he said for what we do you know whats got to be done and you're doing it well. I asked him why he gave me such grief about everything and he stated it pretty simply "What we do speed is key. If you know how to do it right and exact then you can build on speed. I rode you so you would be able to perform under stress. Now you can do it quick and right while under stress, so for this job you're trained" I really appreciated that because I saw a lot of guys never get any where because they didn't have anybody to teach them.

The old days were great, but let's be honest - in today's world what would you think of someone taking days to hand file a square cube? As an employer, you'd be better off having him spend those days learning CNC programming or machine tool basics. As an employee, you'd be better off doing the same.

The idea that a young person will be dumped upon for years until he earns his stripes is of dubious merit and a sure way to create for yourself a revolving door.

When I started out, I got my share of crummy work, fair enough - but I never had any illusions that the old timers, mostly, were anything but a bunch of lazy-asses who made more money for doing less work. Why? Because it was the truth. There were guys in the shop making 5X as much as me and with my own eyes I could see they were experts at one thing only - working the system.

Carl:

Thank you for the compliment. I do consider myself quite fortunate to have come into things when I did. I was around a very interesting mix of people in the old shops. I'd have to say the bulk of them came to the USA after WWI. I think many of those oldtimers came about 1923 or so as a result of the runaway currency inflation in Germany. I recall that in the shop where I was put to filing the cube, we all got paid in cash. Not cash "under the table", but regular pay-envelopes with printing on the fronts to show with-holding and the usual stuff you find on a paycheck stub. The oldtime German immigrants from that era had seen their pay get devalued by the minute during the inflation in Germany. As a result, they liked to be paid in cash. I heard all kinds of stories from those oldtimers, aside from the shopwork.

One guy who really taught me something of steam engines, stationary steam engineering and some millwrighting was a prime example. We worked in the brewery together, and his name was Willi Mueller. Willi took an interest in me, and went out of his way to really see to it I learned whatver he could teach me. He was nominally a licensed stationary enginer, looking after the boilers and ammonia compressors. Willi told me he had served his time in the Weser Werft, a shipbuilding firm in Germany. He came thru his time in about 1916 as what might be called an "outside machinist"- someone who erected and overhauled marine steam engines and did some machine work and in-place boring bar work. Willi worke din that yard during WWI. During the inflation of 1923, Willi shipped out in the engine room of a German merchant vessel. Coming into port in NY City, Willi jumped ship. He hooked up with friends or relatives from the old country who had resettled in a German area of Brooklyn. He soon found work in laundries and candy factories, running the steam plants. As the depression set in, the owner of a candy factory kept Willi busy not only running the steam plant but maintaining the production machinery. Willi said he made a few molds for chocolate candy bars aside from all else, and managed to keep workign thru the Depression. When he arrived in the brewery I never did learn. Willi would always be showing me all kinds of stuff from how to cut a gasket to scrape in a bearing (and cut the shims for it) or grind in a valve or how to rig a load. Willi came from the breed of guys that would take an old rubber composition steam pump valve and make heels for their shoes from it. Nothing went to waste with those guys as they had seen the hardest of times. Willi played a good fiddle, and on paydays, he'd sometimes bring his fiddle. We'd all get paid on a Friday and we'd have a bottle of whisky on the table in the lunch room, along with German cold cuts, maybe the traditional pot of sauerkraut, ribs and wurst cooked in beer on the steam chest of an engine, and of course, we'd drink plenty of beer. Willi would fiddle, another guy might bring in a "squeeze box" (concertina, I think), and then I took to bringing my harmonica.

It seems a million years ago to me now, and it seemed so simple. People were happy to be in the USA, people worked at what amounted to hard work, didn;t make a whole lot of money doing it but seemed happy in having a secure job with some benefits and able to go home to their families. Add a platter of coldcuts and sitting and drinking with one's buddies on payday all was right with the world.

I stand at the vise in my own shop and when I pick up a file, I often smile and see those oldtimers in my mind. Just last weekend, we put new piston rings into my old BMW motorcycle. The rings had to have the butt gaps filed to fit. It was a pleasurable little job, using a small smooth cut file and oil stone, seeing the butt gaps come into what the specified gapping was and seeing the ends of the rings nice and parallel. I had set up a small machinist vise near where we were working in the garage, and made jaw caps for it out of scrap copper. I knew it was the kind of thing the oldtimers would appreciate- the filing and fitting as well as making the jaw caps. Of course, we had our good lager beer on hand as we worked.

Above all else, I have to credit my parents for putting me on a path where learning and education were encouraged and made possible. Learning never stopped and you gave respect to people, regardless of what their station in life might have been or where they came from. I have to thank my late father for setting me on the path he did. Dad was no machinist, but he appreciated anyone who was what he called "a good mechanic". Dad got something of a work ethic into me early on, and encouraged me to learn whatever I was interested in. He knew and understood what the oldtimers in the shops were about, and he knew his way around the different immigrant groups. As I wrote, I came in at the sunset of an era, and I never take for granted the life I was born into.

I work with one of those old-time german model makers.

Nothing goes to waste. Pallets cut up for the wood.
He found out I had a bunch of old leather belting, and
I gave him enough to make holders for all his allen
wrench sets!

He's the go-to guy at the model shop at reasarch, any
complicated jobs you can't wrap your mind around, you go
talk to him. He'll figure out a way.

Jim

Back