What's new
What's new

plastic for paint gun seals?

I have a C.A.Technologies CPR paint spray gun for which one or 2 (not clear it ever had both in this gun, bought new) plastic seals are needed. CAT has become difficult to contact since being taken over by Wagner. Std repair kit #10-140 includes the seals, but prices with shipping will likely be around $36 - $46. Trust me, i only need the seals.

What would be a reasonable plastic tube or solid material (type of plastic) to make a couple out of; or is there a generic source for this sort of non-rubber maleable seal?

Parts 5 on diagram.

Thanks!
smt

PS - it will always come up "what is your time worth" - I've already wasted more time than it would have taken to make a couple, don't plan to support that business model.

Attachments

• Image_01.jpg
    Image_01.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 286
What would be a reasonable plastic tube or solid material (type of plastic) to make a couple out of; or is there a generic source for this sort of non-rubber maleable seal?

PTFE (Teflon) .not only does it not wear, paint doesn't stick to it, and it's impervious to most if not all solvents.

Teflon is the DuPont trade name. You can use any plastic that can hold up to lacquer thinner.

The paint gun seal replacement kits are a good profit maker. Something like $20 for four seals. So when I need a seal I make something like ten of them.

My dad was an DuPonter in his very early career - involved with development of then new urethanes. As kids, the board we got paddled with was a discard maple sample with an experimental urethane finish on it.....

I used UHMW which is what the originals appeared to be, made a tube the correct ID/OD with sharp, honed, pos rake tools, then re-inserted it in a 15/32" 5c collet, pushed it out the indicated length, (aprox .120") and cut a series of seals off with a sharp pocket knife. It took about an hour, which is faster than it took to try to order them, all told. Got 6 out of the tube, so most likely good 'til my demise at this point.... unless i forget where i put them. :D

smt

Back