What's new
What's new

Plastic punch guide

tightwoods

Plastic
I have an old Allied Tool & Die Company model A-100 shim stock punch and die set. The punches and die plate are in great shape but the plastic punch guide is badly broken. I'd like to machine a new guide plate but don't know if it's worth the cost and effort. All nine hole centers would have to be near-perfectly aligned with the die plate holes and each hole a snug slip fit to its pin. I have some reamers but not all nine. The hole center lines shouldn't be an issue. I don't think that drilled holes would have the correct tolerances to the pins. The cost of a new high quality set may or may not be cheaper than buying all the reamers. Any thoughts? Thanks.

IMG_1834.jpg

You'll want a jig borer for the plastic and a surface grinder to refresh the steel. If you have both and the time it's up to you. If not then it's best to buy a new one. A shim punch set is an item usually made during apprenticeship as a tool and die maker. I still have/use mine. Drills/reamers aren't going to do the job well enough.

A jig bore is not necessary. Make the mounting holes for your new plastic punch guide and install it. Now turn the assembly over and work from the back side. Pick up each hole separately and drill and bore to size while locked on that location. The hole in the punch guide should be smaller than the punch, so you will never touch the steel.

Whether or not this work is a good use of your time depends on your alternative uses.

Back