What's new
What's new

Plaza Machinery - Anybody know what happened with the machines/tooling?

I was curious if anyone knew what happened to Joe Bergamo's estate, after he passed last year?

He must have had the mother load to pass on to his family and kids. I know he had a son, but he was divorced AFAIK.

I bought a fair amount of stuff from Joe over the years, and will certainly miss him, a great guy to deal with in my experience.

I have a hard time trying to imagine how much iron Joe must have collected over his career...must be massive...

R.I.P. my friend...

just about the time Joe passed an eBay seller popped up with the name
"plazamachines"

it *seemed to be none other than Al Babin, and the wares being offered were many of what Joe had in inventory...???

"plazamachines"

it *seemed to be none other than Al Babin, and the wares being offered were many of what Joe had in inventory...???

Wow......I was ready to edit my post to include:
If there was ever an ANTI-Al Babin, Joe would have been the guy.
Even worse news to hear Babin might have gotten his slimy hands on
the inventory.

"plazamachines"

Found that seller on ebay. Def smells babin-esque. A VERY QUICK look through the sale items doesn't look much like Joe's stuff?? Had been to Joe's place in VT on two occasions. Wondering if seller is just trying to capitalize on Joe's name & reputation?

BTW.... here is a link to Al Babins page, "plazamachines"... eBay Feedback Profile for plazamachines

Babins usual mode was when too many negatives constituted his feedback he'd simply re-register under a new username. So he's changing usernames to hide from his feedback on a regular basis. And since Joe had passed, was it to convenient to use his good name?

Last edited:
Was Plaza machinery in IL?

It is in Bethel, Vermont.

Couple of photographs taken there in '12. In the first, that's Joe with the beard, talking to my friend Larry. The second is a fair representation of the many rooms full of stuff that Joe had. That lathe with the white cloth just to right of center is one I bought from him. It was exactly as he described it, was fairly priced, and still makes chips on a pretty daily basis.

-Marty-

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Thanks Marty,

In the first photo (The one with the man in the green down vest) there is a Stettler grinder which is a machine I have been looking for for a long time :(

The phone number listed on the web is 802 234 9673 I gave it a call and it's no longer in service.

All the people on this board from New England somebody should drive over and knock on the door.

I visited Joe in Bethel back in 2000 or so, and he was a great fellow to talk with, friendly and knowledgeable.

From what I could tell, he was one of those folks that you sorta wished you could 'be like'.
In any case, I bought my little Shaper from him, as well as used his tools to do a quick repair on my van. All in, I have got to say, I have pretty much sung his praises as a fellow to go to, for machine tools stuff, since.

I would dare suggest, we are diminished.

Cheers
Trev

Never met the man....But he sounds like "one of the good guys."

Sad reality is that the good ones die young.....While rotten bastards seem to live on forever. Like the saying...."It's hard to kill bad grass."

I first dealt with Joe in the middle 80s. I've bought a Rockwell drill press, Rockwell mill, and SB lathe from him, as well as a bunch of little stuff. I always enjoyed working with him, and he will certainly be missed.

i would certainly hope that someone worthy would be able to pick up the reins.

"plazamachines"

Whoa...thanks for pointing that out Chad...

Joe always shipped me what I paid for, unlike stories I've heard of Babin...I have never dealt with Babin, thankfully.

Joe didn't give stuff away, but he did sell for fair prices. Was a great source for SB, Nichols, and I even bought a couple things for my Rivett lathe from him.

I bought a couple parts from Joe over the years and like everyone has said he was fair and a great guy to deal with. Have always regretted that I never stopped in Bethel to find him - I went to college 15 miles up the line 50 years ago. When going back to reunions and what not things just never worked out to 'stop by'.

Dale

I was sad to hear that Joe Bergamo had passed on. I live in central Vermont, and I have had the pleasure of visiting Joe at his shop dozens of times over the last few years. I spent many hours in his shop talking about machines and going over his inventory to find obscure parts that I was looking for. Over the years, he taught me how to repair all kinds of machines. He was a great guy, and he was an honest man. If I ever had a problem with something he sold me, he would always make it right. As long as I knew him, his health was up and down, but the last time I saw him I thought he looked healthy. RIP Joe.

-Justin

hi guys im very new to this site ,so here is the report on plaza machine when Joe was alive he always said he will be leaving his business to the notorious " Bobin" so you guys are right in your speculations.Now if any one out there needs any information about Al Bobin just ask i know everything about his operation i cant say how but i do. Its really sad that this is the way it ended ..RIP Joe

hi guys im very new to this site ,so here is the report on plaza machine when Joe was alive he always said he will be leaving his business to the notorious " Bobin" so you guys are right in your speculations.Now if any one out there needs any information about Al Bobin just ask i know everything about his operation i cant say how but i do. Its really sad that this is the way it ended ..RIP Joe

Joe actually left his business and inventory to Babbin??

WHY?? :confused:

SAY IT AIN'T SO :eek: :ack2: :willy_nilly:

Joe actually left his business and inventory to Babbin??

WHY?? :confused:

SAY IT AIN'T SO :eek: :ack2: :willy_nilly:

I agree, I never met the man, but he seemed to be a honorable fellow, the opposite of Babin. I wonder if our new friend Kitamura can either expand on his claim or perhaps we need a bit of salt to go with his statements?

Back