What's new
What's new

Please help Back gear pin problem

Zdiaz925

Plastic
I am currently going through an old lathe I bought (craftsman #101.24470 12"x36") and I was pulling out the pin to disengage the back gear . The pin initially moves about 1/4" out ,however the back gear would not disengage from the pulley. After fiddling with it a little the pin pulls out about another 1/2" at this point not only will the back gear still not disengage from the pulley but now I realize the pin should not have been pulled that far out I can see the notch on the end of the pin that should not that far out. The pin will no longer go into engaged position either but it wont come all the way out because its hitting the headstock frame. From pictures in the maneul I believe there is a spring/plunger/ball mechanism but at this point I need to separate the back gear from the pulley to get inside and fix it. I removed a set screw from the inside collar of the back gear with I thought would let me slide it over but it wont at least not easily. If any one can tell me what to do from here I would really appreciate it. Here are links to some pics.

Shared album - Z - Google Photos

Two things: First, most slidy metal parts worked better when lubricated. Put some light oil on the pins and see if that will free them up.

Second: Per the Machinery Discussion Guidelines sticky the owner of this site doesn't allow discussion of hobby class equipment. So, when this gets locked, try over at the other web forum for hobbyists. Plenty of folks over there who will give it a shot at helping with this.

Good luck.
Steve

I'd suggest if the pin won't go back in, that you have rotated the gear slightly, relative to the pulley, and so the holes don't align now.

If no room to work, I'd cut the pin off in two or three pieces until I had the whole thing out. Don't saw it off flush, leave something to pull on.

Strongly agree with the first sentence.

Strongly disagree with the second. If the pin fit before, it should still fit. Never start cutting parts on something when you haven't figured out where the problem lies.

Steve

Strongly agree with the first sentence.

Strongly disagree with the second. If the pin fit before, it should still fit. Never start cutting parts on something when you haven't figured out where the problem lies.

Steve

I'm assuming the pin is pretty simple. If you can't get it out of the way in one piece to see if the holes are aligned, or a detente has fallen down in the way, it may be more expedient to cut it, expecting to make a new one, rather than lift the spindle out just for a look see.

This is what I would try. First get some lubricant on that pin. Penetrating fluid or light oil or something. It looks pretty dry. Then I would wedge a screwdriver between the headstock cover and the head of the pin and apply some force to the pin. Then very slowly rotate the pulley and perhaps it will align itself enough to push it back in. I had a 9" SB that would get kind of gripey if I didn't keep that pin oiled.

Back