What's new
What's new

Please help identify this small arbor press

Sub-Micron

Aluminum
Hi All,

I need to get a pinion gear/ Handle for this arbor press. I can't find any markings to identify it. Hope someone has one and can help.

Thank you.

2014-02-15_12-14-23_827.jpg

Try either Dake or Panavice for parts. Many years ago, the company I worked for had a similar Panavice that needed a "Tuneup", so part were ordered & installed, making it good as new.

I kinda wonder where that was made. (Never saw a Dake that much resembles it.)

How much would just a gear for it co$t if a suitable shaft & handle could be turned in a trice? (Key the gear, pin the handle?)

Pitch & the pitch diameter needed could be easily measured. (Suppose that'd be metric?)

Don't know where I'd be shopping for the gear, but somebody's out there, no? :confused:

I kinda wonder where that was made. (Never saw a Dake that much resembles it.)

How much would just a gear for it co$t if a suitable shaft & handle could be turned in a trice? (Key the gear, pin the handle?)

Pitch & the pitch diameter needed could be easily measured. (Suppose that'd be metric?)

Don't know where I'd be shopping for the gear, but somebody's out there, no? :confused:

Amazon has Boston gears, but you have to figure out the specs of the gear you need. A steel pinion (no shaft or lever) that might fit would cost at least half the price of a new 1/2 ton press, which can also be found on Amazon. Small used arbor presses in a local machinery dealer might save a lot of money because a lot of the total cost of a press is the shipping.

1/2 Ton Arbor Press - Amazon.com

Larry

The pinion must have the right pitch and diameter, and the shaft it's part of must have the right diameter. A pretty good - and demanding - machine shop project for the apprentice, but not very time or cost effective for a commercial shop. Further, this unit has an inferior design - Uniform thickness, perhaps to accomodate inexpert casting (or to make cheap). But this unit is much weaker than other units with the same weight - there's no flange on the interior throat, and there's no thinning on the back of the frame.

Again, the view may not be worth the climb, unless you happen to figure out the brand and find that they still have parts. I suspect cheap Chinese make, with the manufacturer no longer in business. Hope I'm wrong, but if I was a betting man...

Last edited:
Wow, a US made and designed press? Shut my mouth.

Looks like they have a spindle, hub, and handle assembly for just over 100 bucks, too.

Good work ferretting out the source.

They are good small precision presses. If yours is like mine it shipped with a stick on label with the manufactures name and other info. It would be easy to lose the label.

Back