What's new
What's new

Please help identifying this Cincinnati (I think) dividing head.

Jaxian

Stainless
So I am picking up a new Cincinnati mill shortly and grabbed the accessories. It came with this dividing head. I have a couple normal Cincinnati dividing heads and obviously this looks nothing like a standard milling DH.

It is a Cincinnati, it has the right two sided number plate, handle and part numbers. I thought maybe it was to a grinder of some sort but in looking on Google I can't seem to see anything like this on any of the machines in the pictures. It is a 40 taper drawbar spindle. It had a Buck set-tru on it you can see in the background on one picture and also came with a center with drive.

Any ideas what this came from originally? The people I am getting it from bought the machine new in 1965 (a university) and most of the stuff is almost unused. But they didn't throw things away or just buy random stuff. Found the Cincinnati salesman name and number with the stuff.

Thanks for any help guys. It has a weird thing were it acts like the number plate is loose and it rotates slightly. That isn't supposed to happen but before I dig into it I would like to see if I could find a manual or something. Thanks in advance.

20211125_230957.jpg
20211125_202107.jpg
20211125_202117.jpg
20211125_202113.jpg

From a Cincinnati toolmaster.

And now things make more sense. Very good information. The machine in question is a very rare Cinel 60 with the full factory Toolmaster D style vertical head on it. I am buying it because I didn't have room for both my No.4 horizontal and a Lagun FTV so needed an all in one machine to get some space back.

Thanks Mebfab I didn't even think such a thing existed.

Mabfab is correct, that is the dividing head unique to the Cincinnati Toolmaster. It had a tailstock (aka "footstock") as well, if you can find it.

Yours is the later version, as shown below along with the matching tailstock in Cincinnati publication M-2109:

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 3.22.10 PM.jpg

The factory manual doesn't include any service information other than the exploded diagram, but the looseness in the index plate might be due to incomplete engagement of the worm and gear. Item 99B in the drawing shows an eccentric sleeve, which allows the worm to be disengaged, and the spindle can then freewheel. Or maybe the three screws (151B) that hold the eccentric flange to the eccentric sleeve are loose.

Nice that you have the NMTB40 center and arm, along with the drawbar!

Mabfab is correct, that is the dividing head unique to the Cincinnati Toolmaster. It had a tailstock (aka "footstock") as well, if you can find it.

Yours is the later version, as shown below along with the matching tailstock in Cincinnati publication M-2109:

View attachment 335427

The factory manual doesn't include any service information other than the exploded diagram, but the looseness in the index plate might be due to incomplete engagement of the worm and gear. Item 99B in the drawing shows an eccentric sleeve, which allows the worm to be disengaged, and the spindle can then freewheel. Or maybe the three screws (151B) that hold the eccentric flange to the eccentric sleeve are loose.

Nice that you have the NMTB40 center and arm, along with the drawbar!

Fantastic information. Yeah, the university bought it and apparently just ignored it and used the 5 Bridgeport's they had. Most of the stuff for it is like new. Very weirdly it has a bunch of NMTB 50 to B&S tool holders. Not sure why you would want to run B&S tooling in the 60's but it has them.

Just guessing, but if they bought the Cinel 60 to replace an older B&S or Cincinnati mill with the B&S taper in the spindle, they may have had a collection of milling arbors with the B&S taper instead of the newer NMTB50. If so, the adapters would have allowed them to use the older tooling with the new Cinel 60.

... most of the stuff is almost unused. But they didn't throw things away or just buy random stuff. Found the Cincinnati salesman name and number with the stuff.
Northern California ? Paul Anderson maybe ? He was the Cincinnati outside saleman a little bit later, in the early seventies, really helpful and knowledgeable guy. If you can find him he'll talk your ear off about Cincinnati stuff.

Nice example of a super rare dividing head. PM sent regarding tailstock.

Got your PM. Going to see if they have the tailstock. No way the guy emptying the shop would have known what it was for so he might have it somewhere. If he doesn't I will PM you. Thanks for the offer.

Back