What's new
What's new

please help with solid carbide Sandvik Cormorant internal profiling bar

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have a solid carbide boring bar looking tool. On it is clearly written
SANDVIK COROMANT MC-CLHOL-484. It is made to hold a carbide insert directly sideways across the front of the bar. Mounted in it is an internal grooving or profiling tool bit.

I want to know if other carbide bits will fit this toolholder. In particular, I want to know if Sandvik or anyone else makes threading inserts that will fit this toolholder.

Sandvik's web site disavows all knowledge, very frustrating.

Many (most) of you are far deeper into carbide terminology than I am. I am hoping one of you can help me get started on figuring out what inserts can fit this bar.

sandvik1.jpg

sandvik2.jpg

Thanks!
metalmagpie

Special.
Insert is a Sandvick MLPE-2532 in various end configurations. Also know as Mini V-loks.
Height over the vee is .150 so even slicing off a standard VDB will not fit.
For sure I can make them but you do not want to buy 1 or 10 as the price crazy insane. A new carbide bar cheaper.
Search for old stock.
You can top grind used ones.
Bob

Special.
Insert is a Sandvick MLPE-2532 in various end configurations. Also know as Mini V-loks.
Height over the vee is .150 so even slicing off a standard VDB will not fit.
For sure I can make them but you do not want to buy 1 or 10 as the price crazy insane. A new carbide bar cheaper.
Search for old stock.
You can top grind used ones.
Bob

Thank you, CarbideBob! You are right on the money. I heard back from Sandvik and they sent me the pages related to the threading and grooving inserts. I do see some threading inserts available on ebay for a reasonable price. You made my day.

I wrote back to Sandvik to request their literature for profiling inserts.

metalmagpie

Back