What's new
What's new

Please help w/ID for thread tool?

Gary Fuchs

Plastic
I posted this on HMS but haven't gotten anything definite.

Thread_tool.jpg

I have a few of these scrapped carbide(?) tools with a couple of different profiles.

What's the gold color mean?

Is the groove for registration?

Is it a thread tool and can I use it with my 9" SB or is it strictly for an industrial machine?

If I can use it I'd need a holder--is there a design somewhere online or could someone tell me what I'd need to consider to make one...I was thinking to drill a hole in square stock and have an allen head screw to tighten against the notch; though not sure if that would hold it securely enough.

The scale in the shot is in mm and the shank diameter is .155".

Thanks,

Gary

mystery tool

It appears to be a miniature threading/boring tool. The gold color is TiN coating for lubricity and faster cutting speeds. The whistle like feature on the shaft is meant to seat a set screw for clamping purposes. Because of its diminutive size I'm guessing it's for screw machine or small CNC machine.

Like Larry said. You can use it on your lathe. Check the incl. angle to make sure it is 60 deg. . Make yourselves a holder to fit your tool post and to hold the shank.

The holder you mention would work fine. The tool was likely designed so that when the setscrew is tightened on the flat, the cutting edge sits at an appropriate back rake angle for the material that the tool was intended to be used with. You might not be cutting whatever the tool was designed for, and consequently might want a different rake angle.

I'd prefer a split holder that clamps the round shank rather than bearing down on the setscrew flat to give whatever rake angle you want.

This could also be a single-point threadmill.

Henry

The late Geo.H.Thomas, a respected English writer on Model Engineering tooling and associated matters, advocated tools of similar size and configuration for small hole boring and threading. Albeit made from silver steel (drill rod), hardened and tempered before use, as being better suited to the fiscal and procurement limitations of the target audience.)

His design of holder was fabricated from approximately 3" of 1" x 5/8" steel with a shank 1/2" wide by 7/16" deep carrying a tool holder head about 3/4" long by 1" wide offset upwards and leftwards of the shank maximising clearances when used in the four way tool post of a Myford lathe. The head was bored and split to carry eccentrically bored and split collets into which the tool shanks fitted. The eccentric nature of the collets permitted fine adjustment of both tool tip angle and height. A brace of 2 BA screws in the holder body closed up both slits to clamp the tool.

This seems a very effective way of going about things although you'd have to modify things a bit to use your tools on a Southbend. PM me if you'd like more details.

Clive

Thank you all -that's encouraging news.

I'll try to make a split holder.

I believe the included angle is 60° though it's so small it's hard to say for certain.

"as being better suited to the fiscal and procurement limitations of the target audience."

Definitely a lot of those sort of limitations here...

Gary

the "Whistle Notch" is a recognised and highly effectual retention feature - I first encountered it when "U" drills from Sandvik Coromant arrived on our shores in the early 80s

Just be aware that the grub screw needs to lie over at the same angle as the flat, so it presents square on to the latter.

If you have a desk lamp just project the tool tips shadow onto the wall a few feet away. Its no means of high accuracy mesurment but a large plastic protractor will pick up angles off the shadow a treat!

Back