What's new
What's new

Plugging holes 101, plus a twist...

plastikdreams

Diamond
I miss calculated and threaded some holes 5mm rather than 4...and on top of that I broke a spiral tap in the bottom of one. So now I get to not only plug and redrill, I have to mill that damn tap point out. At least it's 2024 and not something hard lol.

Anywho, I'll make a few plugs, pound em in with a little loctite 680 in the bottom and make new threads...without breaking the tap :)

Just complaining lol...it's for a robot. I also made some grippers from 17-4 and hardened them. They mount on a pneumatically actuated part to pick up ceramic parts to go on assembled wax patterns.

They 3d printed the originals are totally screwed up lol.

If timeserts are too small the next option is Fredserts. Google them they work great we went to them for all our aluminium tooling as we were having a lot of issues with thread tear out.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Engineering isn’t about how well you make things, it’s about how well you hide the mistakes ( obi wan Burt, welder/fabricator with 2” missing off the end of his tape measure by all accounts)
Mark

Apparently you think "I miss calculated" sounds a little better than I fucked up. ��

Brent

It's all in the words my man :D

Took like a half hour...plunge with a .375 endmill, cut some pieces of .375 aluminium rod, 2 drops of loctite 680 in the bottom, press em in with a 10 ton press...they aren't coming out lol. Drill and tap for 4mm .7 this time, install parts and bobs your uncle...except the designer forgot one hole in the side so now I gotta wait till Tuesday to get the location.

Surprising what you can do with insulation tape, the missing 2” was to convince his mrs he wasn’t lying
Mark

Back