What's new
What's new

Polamco lathe

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I asked about this lathe on the hobby forum but not much info there.
I heard of this lathe through the grapevine.
It is in a shop that does centerless grinding.
The owner worked there for a long time and recently bought the business. Old owner was something of a hoarder and has the place filled with decrepit old grinding machines. Lord what an oily, jumbled up place! New guy is going to get rid of all the old stuff and make the place flow better and more productive.
I was kind of interested in this lathe. Would first see if it runs and depending on how good or bad clean it up and resell it.
Pretty sure I could get it for $300-$500.
Compound and cross slide are still pretty tight.
Ways are so scummy you can't tell. And so much junk around it I couldn't move the carriage more than a few inches.
Only tooling I saw was the little 3 jaw and a Phase II? BXA sized tool post that is missing the handle.
I'm guessing the lathe is about 15x42"
Polish-American Machinery Corporation.
Is it a Tarnow?
Is it worth monkeying with?
I'd need to be able to make a few bucks on it to be worthwhile.
The place is dark and crammed full of crap so not good photos.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks20210505_123353.jpg02ó20210505_123208.jpg20210505_122655.jpg20210505_122642.jpg20210505_122523.jpg

ok...Peter Lorre...h"help me rick......

sounds like you're looking to -"flip this house"- do you really need a polish-made lathe? if you do...
then you may be ok. as long as you don't mind paying for moving a large machine, and un-obtainable
parts for an eastern-bloc 1980s machine , and having a place to store it , and 3 phase to run it.

if it were me... i'd jump on it.... but i have the power and space for such a turkey.

good luck

Those are great lathes, I have one. My only complaint is you have to change gear quadrants to get some of the very low thread counts, and same thing for high thread counts. 95% of everything else can be used from just the levers. They have induction hardened ways, and should have a 1-3/8" spindle hole.

TUM lathes (aka Polamco) are excellent machines. They are still fully $upported for part$. You can do imperial and metric threading without having to change any gears.

Of course, that particular machine might be beat to death. As the immortal Andy Popky once said, "HOW MUCH FOR A FORD F-150?"

metalmagpie

ok...Peter Lorre...h"help me rick......

sounds like you're looking to -"flip this house"- do you really need a polish-made lathe? if you do...
then you may be ok. as long as you don't mind paying for moving a large machine, and un-obtainable
parts for an eastern-bloc 1980s machine , and having a place to store it , and 3 phase to run it.

if it were me... i'd jump on it.... but i have the power and space for such a turkey.

good luck

I could hook power to it and can test it where it sits.
Yes, I would only buy it to resell it. Don't want or need the thing myself.
I can easily get it home and if it will run on 220 3 ph I can power it, I have the room to store it, show it and can reload it. Could deliver it if they have a way to unload it or make them hire a tow truck.
Is it worth exploring further?
Thanks

Back