What's new
What's new

Polishing 52100 steel

Staplesnail

Plastic
Hi new to this forum. Looking for tips on polishing 52100 steel. I work in a carbide grinding shop and run a Blanchard No. 18. I am use to polishing carbide and use an 1800 grit wheel to do so. Recently boss wanted to take on polishing steel but seems like when we do it heats up and gets small cracks on the surface. Would like to try a CBN wheel but we don't want to purchase one of the customer isn't going to stick with us. Any tips for using a diamond wheel would be appreciated thank you.

Hi new to this forum. Looking for tips on polishing 52100 steel. I work in a carbide grinding shop and run a Blanchard No. 18. I am use to polishing carbide and use an 1800 grit wheel to do so. Recently boss wanted to take on polishing steel but seems like when we do it heats up and gets small cracks on the surface. Would like to try a CBN wheel but we don't want to purchase one of the customer isn't going to stick with us. Any tips for using a diamond wheel would be appreciated thank you.

Get your head on the "problem".

The WHEEL ain't what's cracking, is it?

You want to get to any sort of "throughput", yah need to work with lots of coolant so the STEEL doesn't get highly differential temps built up in it, surface to just back of it in the first instance.

Pretty much the opposite of Carbide, steels can be as to cooling as you go.

Can't justify that? Ye'll have to go slow enough and light-touch enough the heat can "leak" away.

Tedious, that can be. VERY!

Thank you for the quick reply. sorry this is my first time trying to polish steel as we are a carbide shop.

Thank you for the quick reply. sorry this is my first time trying to polish steel as we are a carbide shop.

No fear. Yer simply "over-specialized". So far.

There are new things yah have to research that other shops knowt a long time ago, already.

Time was, it was Carbides as were new and mysterious. Folk had to adapt in the OTHER direction.

It gets done in due course.

Mind.. yah might not make any MONEY at it.

South China alone has serious-large enterprises as don't do anything else BUT "finish" materials from other folk FOR still-other folks, and at a stupendous annual tonnage.

More to it than "cheap labour". Lax regulations and the effing great MESS and disposal challenge as a byproduct are easily a major part of why such things git "offshored".

Thank you again for your help on the information I was able to get the tools to a mirror finish but still ended up with white etching cracks on a majority of them. We were able to get enough for a sample and if the customer approves we will try more options such as slotting the wheel for coolant flow. I appreciate your input!20200421_155005.jpg

Thank you again for your help on the information I was able to get the tools to a mirror finish but still ended up with white etching cracks on a majority of them. We were able to get enough for a sample and if the customer approves we will try more options such as slotting the wheel for coolant flow. I appreciate your input!View attachment 285812

No KLEW what your customer intends doing with these, but ISTR the alloy is AKA "ball bearing steel" and assuredly capable of insanely fine surface finish "when done right". Grinding for-sure, lapping, probably.

"Whatever" the end-use is in this case, I'd surely want to be certain both parties understand what was expected, and how it was to be INspected, before getting into high-volume yah might have to "eat".

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think your gonna be able to use the Blanchard grinder for the polish.

Just to grind flat and to thickness.

Polishing needs slower wheel. Think superfinishing or lapping.

BTW is your shops owner named "Bob" ?....:D

Unfortunately shops owner is not named "Bob". Wants me to figure out how to get the polish good, doesn't want to listen to me on what my suggestion are to get the finish he wants. I appreciate the information you guys have suggested I've just given up on suggestions. Thank you all though much appreciated!

Back