What's new
What's new

Pop rivet shaft stuck in rivet setter

tomwalz

Stainless

I have two, one pneumatic and one hand operated. How do I get them out.

Thanks,

Tom

Unscrew the nose piece and push / tap / bang on the bench to bring the grippers back down.

Can be a sign of lack of lube / crap / rust, or the closing taper wearing,....... or a broken finger.

The grippers tend to bite a little off the metal off each rivet stem.this gets accumulated over time and causes jambs.I use grafite lock lub to overcome this problem.

I used to have untold troubles with this, which (cross fingers) I've now cured by ALWAYS verifying that the previous stem has ejected before inserting the next one, and by never buying any rivet setters other than top quality.
(I used to buy the cheapest Japanese ones I could find, which were still heaps better than crap, but this seems to be one place the Brits and Europeans still rule. Don't know about US...)

However no doubt I will have to keep cleaning them out and replacing the grippers when they wear.

Thats a good point, I have a Marson which is made in the USA and it works great. I have had it for years not sure if they still make them or not.

You also have to set the jaws in some riveters so when the piston returns the back of the nose peice will open the jaws if it is a front eject. LPS-3 is a great lube for jaws, maybe the best. Just squirt some in.
If that doesn;t work, send me a PM.
A lot of rivetets are made to just push the next rivet in, pushing the last stem into collection tube bag or just out the back.

Unscrew the nose piece and push / tap / bang on the bench to bring the grippers back down.

Can be a sign of lack of lube / crap / rust, or the closing taper wearing,....... or a broken finger.

Tom,
They need to be cleaned every so often, little bits of mandrel metal (esp aluminum)(aluminium Sami) build up in the nose. I find that usually leads to slipping, unlike when my helper sets it in the mud which leads to stuck mandrel.

Easy fix, I adjust my noses to where the rivet goes in with little but some feel.

John

With a quality gun and good lube you should be able to go 5,000 1/4 inch steel nail rivets nonstop, fast as you can put them in the hole.
Smaller rivets, 20,000.

The swarf that gets crushed between the outside of the jaw and the mating taper is the main problem.
Clean and lube these two surfaces,
polish if necessary.

In the old Bluebird Bus factory they got paid piece work. 8 hours pay at the end of 42 busses IIRC.
They wanted their riveters to have NO downtime during a shift.

Those guys would put a rivet in the gun and pull the trigger as it got NEAR the hole and have it in the hole as the riveter finished cycling. No wasted time there.
True craftsman at their job.

Thank you all,

I owe you lunch or a beer or something.

Especially Limy Sami for his advice to bang it on something.

I sprayed Kroil down them this morning and let them sit. This afternoon I took them apart and pulled out the stuck shafts.

One was a Marson Model 300 which is a good unit.

Marson is part of Alcoa and the contact info is:

Marson Corp., Fastener Div.
Campanelli Pkwy.
Stoughton, MA,
02720-3030
Phone: 781-344-4464
Toll Free: 800-343-3633
Fax: 781-302-3891

Tom

That would be the easiest pint I ever earned, has Manny's Pale Ale (Georgetown) made it to Tacoma yet?
If you're getting into riveting the 3/16 air/hyd Grainger sells (Speedaire)for about $105 gets a gold star from me, it will get into tighter spots than the air can POP gun. For 1/4" look at Huck and open the wallet.

John

I have two, one pneumatic and one hand operated. How do I get them out.

Thanks,

Tom

I had same problem then found an easy solution on an airstream site... just replace the nosepiece with the next larger rivet size. Did this with my gun and the offending piece fell out the back like it was supposed to. Reassembled with the correct size nosepiece and good to go. No banging, hammering, frustration or sweat on my part. Hope this helps

It's the old, "Use a bigger hammer." trick.

I love Kroil. A can sits on my lathe right now. But, like with WD-40, do lubricate after using it. I also love that LPS-3 and have two cans of it in the shop. It is great stuff.

Thank you all,

Especially Limy Sami for his advice to bang it on something.

I sprayed Kroil down them this morning and let them sit. This afternoon I took them apart and pulled out the stuck shafts.

One was a Marson Model 300 which is a good unit.

Marson is part of Alcoa and the contact info is:

Marson Corp., Fastener Div.
Campanelli Pkwy.
Stoughton, MA,
02720-3030
Phone: 781-344-4464
Toll Free: 800-343-3633
Fax: 781-302-3891

Tom

Back