What's new
What's new

Is a popoff valve required on standalone air reciever?

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1,271
G

Simple Q. I'm adding another 80 gal vertical tank for surge and extra cap at my mills.

Both my compressors have popoff valves on each tank, so there is protection where the air is made.

But I don't want to run afoul of the air compressor police.

Should I add a popoff valve on the new receiver too?

Yeah, I got a brand new one from Grainger sitting on my desk. The tank doesn't have a 1/4 npt at the top, but I can add it to the fittings when I run the lines.

My primary compressor is a screw, it has a popoff on the tank and another one on the manifold inside. The backup compressor is a recip, it has one on the tank.

The recip acts as a second receiver, it only runs when the screw is offline.

So there are 3 popoffs in the system, 2 of them are on the pressure storage portion.

Hard to imagine why I would need one on a standalone receiver, but I don't know what the codes say.

Codes generally require a safety on each reciever,in case of a fire in the pipe.A story about a popoff.......on the delivery to the tank on a 1200cfm Sullair.....The boofheads working on the job upped the pressure,left the compressor running in lunchbreak,safety popped blowing oily air onto redhot GM exhausts,massive fire ......in a oil refinery.Whats the excitement ...asks foreman boofhead......waaaal,your compressor is on fire.......fuelled by all the dirty rags,plastic oil bottles ,and assorted rubbish left in the case.

I think (don't quote me on this) some of the thought behind each air receiver having it's own relief valve, is in case the receiver get's isolated from the main relief
thru a combination of valve closures.

I'd also think the issue of proximity might come into play. A 1/4" NPT pop-off valve located 200 feet away might not be adequate for an 80 gal tank's potential.

Irrespective of code I would put one in as a matter of course, and DEFINITELY if the extra receiver (tank) has a non return valve on it's inlet.

Back