What's new
What's new

popup warning about Firefox

Marty Feldman

Titanium
Lately, the top of my PM page has begun showing a popup banner with a warning that my Firefox, which is up to date, is "critically out of date". There is an update-now button. There is also a clickable more-info which gives rigamarole for opting out.

Is everyone getting this?

-Marty-

NEVER EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER click on a pop-up. A pop up can do anything and you have absolutely no idea who sent it or what it will do.

If you want to update Firefox, just go to the Tools menu and click on Options. Then go about half way down the General page there to see your options for updating. I use the automatic update so I am always up to date.

My first sentence above applies to ANY pop-up. I get constant requests to update things with pop-ups. I NEVER click on anything except the X to close those windows. Always update any program from the menus IN THAT PROGRAM or from their web site WHICH YOU REACHED BY ENTERING THE ADDRESS YOURSELF. NEVER FROM A POP-UP OR A LINK.

With just a few keystrokes I, a real internet amateur, can copy any page or pop-up that appears on my screen - a perfect copy. I don't know how to create a false pop-up from there, but you can bet that the bad apples out there can. A pop-up that looks 100% normal can wipe your hard drive or scramble your data so you have to pay a ransom to get it back.

NEVER EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER click on a pop-up.

And NO, I am not getting that. But if I did, I would totally ignore it.

NEVER EVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER click on a pop-up.
And NO, I am not getting that. But if I did, I would totally ignore it.

Thanks for your reply. No, of course I am not going to click on the "Update Now" button. Just getting tired of hitting the "X" to close the banner.

-Marty-

As an aside, sometimes the "x" to close the window is not really closing it at all. You have to be careful these days. Run antispyware, pop-up blockers, etc.

If you wanted someone to install your software from the pop up would you use the install now button or the close button?

Nope, I have a lovely, can't talk about it here, installed.

Not looking for one of "those".
What in the hell are you guys talking about? PM me if necessary please.

Just getting tired of hitting the "X" to close the banner.
Firefox with Ublock Origin and I don't see a single ad on any website, nor do any of those social media buttons load. Websites are so much faster without all the shit you don't need/want. Hell, even youtube plays videos without any ads.

What in the hell are you guys talking about? PM me if necessary please.

Firefox with Ublock Origin and I don't see a single ad on any website, nor do any of those social media buttons load. Websites are so much faster without all the shit you don't need/want. Hell, even youtube plays videos without any ads.

That is what they were talking about I believe.

Just typed in to google maps and had fat fingered an extra letter in front. Control alt delete got me out of that war zone faster than task manager!

Yes, you need to run a scan using malwarebytes or norton or Windows Defender (if you're using Win 10). This could be an infection form a Browser Helper Object or a true virus.

Update your browser manually, by going to the mozilla.org site, or Google Chrome - The New Chrome & Most Secure Web Browser

Check all of your Add-ons and browser extensions and get rid of stuff you don't use.

And (since privacy and security go together) read this:

How to Protect Your Digital Privacy - The Privacy Project Guides - The New York Times

Back